Summer is Coming! Join the Game of Timers Competition to Win Epic Prizes. Registration is Open. Game starts Mon July 1st.

It is currently 20 Jul 2019, 11:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

When to cancel your score vs. when to keep it?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
When to cancel your score vs. when to keep it?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2018, 18:11
I'm taking the GMAT for the first time. The schools I'm applying to have a 700 avg score or higher. If I get lower than that, should I still submit it or cancel?

I have a second test date scheduled so I'm going to retake the test regardless, but who knows if I'll end up scoring lower on the second one. Which is why I ask... How much lower than your target school's avg GMAT score warrants cancelling it? 20 points? 50 points? Never?

Follow up question: If a school sees two scores, one within their range and one below it, does the one below have any negative affect?

If not, I feel like I might as well submit this first test regardless, just so I have something on the board. After all, it could be my highest one.
RC Moderator
V
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: When to cancel your score vs. when to keep it?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2018, 18:43
Ok ..... definitely keep the first score..... now in the 2nd is more or equal keep it.... it shows improvement and more specifically that you are trying to improve. Most schools do not mind multiple attempts and they generally consider the highest score.

Good Luck.
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 590 Q48 V23
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 4
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2018, 20:58
Jeremy123456 wrote:
I'm taking the GMAT for the first time. The schools I'm applying to have a 700 avg score or higher. If I get lower than that, should I still submit it or cancel?

I have a second test date scheduled so I'm going to retake the test regardless, but who knows if I'll end up scoring lower on the second one. Which is why I ask... How much lower than your target school's avg GMAT score warrants cancelling it? 20 points? 50 points? Never?

Follow up question: If a school sees two scores, one within their range and one below it, does the one below have any negative affect?

If not, I feel like I might as well submit this first test regardless, just so I have something on the board. After all, it could be my highest one.
Keep it irrespective of the score.

I was scoring close to 700 before i took my first gmat; ended up with 590 in official gmat . Since we have 2 minutes to decide, i cancelled it but when i reached home i was confused whether i had scored 590 or 690. So i reinstated it . I knew I wasn't going to score less than 590 hence i kept it and eventually scored 700 in the next attempt.

Dont go with a score in mind, just give the gmat. It is common to falter in the first attempt(you can check gmatclub for stories), hence it is ok to take multiple attempts and show an implicit improvement to the school.
CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2018, 21:13
Jeremy123456 wrote:

I'd keep it even if it's significantly below 700, and then try to get a better score on the retake. It's always nice to see an improvement, and I think schools also like to see an applicant give it another shot if the first score was not competitive.

That said, if for any reason you are uncomfortable with (say) a 600 on your score report, keep in mind that a cancellation can always be undone.
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2018, 19:00
Hi Jeremy123456,

Since you are able to reinstate any canceled score, the safest move would be to cancel your first score (unless you knock the GMAT out of the park) and, if necessary, reinstate that score. Taking that approach should alleviate your concerns.

So, when is your GMAT? How are you scoring on practice exams? You may find it helpful to read my article for more information regarding
how to score a 700+ on the GMAT.

Good luck!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: When to cancel your score vs. when to keep it?   [#permalink] 29 Dec 2018, 19:00

When to cancel your score vs. when to keep it?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep