GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Sep 2018, 03:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

When to take the GMAT?

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
When to take the GMAT?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2018, 10:25
Hi everyone!

I am currently studying to take the GMAT at the end of August (I already have a test date scheduled). I am about to start my 4th year of a 5 year BS program. The reason its taking me 5 years is that I will have done 3 6-month internships by the time I graduate (1.5 years full time experience). The reason I am taking the GMAT this August is because after my current internship ends I will have about a month and a half to dedicate solely to studying, free time I will never have again. I also plan on applying to the HBS 2+2 program as well as the one at Darden at the end of my senior year. I am writing because although I was very set on my plan I am worried that I am taking the test too early. By the time I graduate (if I am not accepted into any early programs) my GMAT score will be over 1.5 years old already. This gives me less than 4 years of full-time work by the time I need to apply to an MBA program. Originally I was OK with this, due to the fact that undergrad has given me an extra 1.5 years of experience, but now I am getting worried and anxious. Has anyone else taken it this early? Is there any advice on what is best? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: ISB '20 (S), IIMA (S)
GMAT 1: 500 Q47 V15
GPA: 3.4
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: When to take the GMAT?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jun 2018, 18:26
efleuette wrote:
Hi everyone!

I am currently studying to take the GMAT at the end of August (I already have a test date scheduled). I am about to start my 4th year of a 5 year BS program. The reason its taking me 5 years is that I will have done 3 6-month internships by the time I graduate (1.5 years full time experience). The reason I am taking the GMAT this August is because after my current internship ends I will have about a month and a half to dedicate solely to studying, free time I will never have again. I also plan on applying to the HBS 2+2 program as well as the one at Darden at the end of my senior year. I am writing because although I was very set on my plan I am worried that I am taking the test too early. By the time I graduate (if I am not accepted into any early programs) my GMAT score will be over 1.5 years old already. This gives me less than 4 years of full-time work by the time I need to apply to an MBA program. Originally I was OK with this, due to the fact that undergrad has given me an extra 1.5 years of experience, but now I am getting worried and anxious. Has anyone else taken it this early? Is there any advice on what is best? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Hi efleuette,

Most of the Bschools accept GMAT score at max 36 months old from day you are joining the GMAT Course.

I would suggest it is wise decision to start early, so that if there is any improvement needed , you would have sufficient time to fill the gap and re-take GMAT.

But it also depends on which BSchools are you targeting & in which year you are trying to get an admission.

As you might know, GMAT score & WE is not the only criteria to get an admit into BSchools

A few BSchools even accept score , which is at max 60 months old from day you are joining the GMAT Course.

Please consider this factor before planning to take GMAT.

Hope this helps!!

If it helps you please press Kudos!

Thank You
Sudhanshu

Avanti Prep Admissions Consultant
S
When to take the GMAT?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2018, 10:11
Hi SSM700plus,

Many future applicants elect to take the GMAT toward the end of their undergraduate experience, when, as you noted, they might have an open period to focus deeply and exclusively on the exam. That usually comes during their senior year, giving them several future years with which to apply using that score.

The wrinkle for you is that it sounds like you'd be taking the GMAT right before the start of your 5th year. So let's do the math. If you take the exam in Aug 2018, it will be valid until Aug 2023. The details of GMAT score validity can vary from program to program; sometimes it needs to be valid as of the deadline date for the round in which you apply, and sometimes the program states a specific date after which you must have taken it (e.g., October 1 of five years ago).

Because you're taking the exam in August, you'll mostly lose out on the ability to apply with that score in the Fall 2023 (to enroll in Fall 2024). So the latest year you'd realistically be able to apply with that score is Fall 2022 (to enroll in Fall 2023). It sounds like you're graduating in 2019. So you'd have three years of full-time work experience at the point of application and four at enrollment. The average at most top programs in the U.S. is five at enrollment, and four is usually within the sweet spot for applicants (i.e., toward the middle of the bell curve). That is a very common year to apply.

Long story short, I think it's fine to take the exam in August if that's when you think you'll have time to maximize your score. The main downside is that you'll kind of be establishing now when you'll "need" to apply the future, so you lose some flexibility. And if things didn't work out to your liking in Fall 2022, you'd have to re-take the exam to apply again in Fall 2023.

[Applying in Fall 2021 -- two years of experience to enroll with three -- is sort of in play as well, but that would put you at the very front end of the middle 80% range for most programs. People do it, but you don't have much experience and have a steeper hill to climb in terms of articulating your leadership, advancement, impact, etc.]

Hope this helps!

Thanks,
Greg

efleuette wrote:
Hi everyone!

Thank you!

Greg Guglielmo
Founder | Avanti Prep
MBA Admissions Consulting

VP
VP
P
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: When to take the GMAT?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2018, 00:06
efleuette wrote:
Hi everyone!

Thank you!

efleuette I would definitely take the exam now because you are in study mode and that is hard(er) to recreate 5 years from today. there's nothing stopping you from taking the exam at a later date if needed, but you don't know what the future will hold! you could be desperate to get into business school 2 years after you’re in the workforce, you just don't know, and it would be great to have options. If it doesn't impose a massive hardship upon your life I would recommend that you take the exam now because you have some momentum with that now.

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Re: When to take the GMAT? &nbs [#permalink] 07 Jul 2018, 00:06

When to take the GMAT?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap