Last visit was: 08 May 2024, 08:21 It is currently 08 May 2024, 08:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1447 [0]
Given Kudos: 582
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Concentration: Technology, General Management
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 143 [0]
Given Kudos: 467
Send PM
Re: Which books to refer for gmat quant [#permalink]
Aayush272001 wrote:
Hi,
I started my preparation for gmat around 2 months back and now I’m a bit confused and have ran out of gmat quant questions. I bought manhattan foundation of maths but found it quite basic. What other books do you guys recommend?

Posted from my mobile device

Hi,

For practice you can always use Gmat Club and its tag to get questions from specific source. And for more theory and concepts, you can refer gmat club quant book.

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Which books to refer for gmat quant [#permalink]
I found that the end of chapter questions in Target Test Prep were very helpful. It's segmented by difficulty level & topic. Definitely worth checking out!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Re: Which books to refer for gmat quant [#permalink]
Thanks everyone.

GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1803 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
Aayush272001 wrote:
Hi,
I started my preparation for gmat around 2 months back and now I’m a bit confused and have ran out of gmat quant questions. I bought manhattan foundation of maths but found it quite basic. What other books do you guys recommend?

Hi Aayush,

Looking at your post, I feel that you focused more practicing questions than learning the right methodology. Before telling you the right thing to do, let me tell you what is it that is actually tested on GMAT. Because, without knowing the destination there is no point starting your journey. Let me share my insights here.

What GMAT actually tests?

If you are in a misconception that understanding concepts and practicing 'N' number of questions will help you score well on GMAT, let me tell you the harsh truth. GMAT is a test of application of concepts and it would require a strong conceptual knowledge and the right use of strategies to ace the test. You might not like this, but GMAT doesn’t just give you questions which require you to solve them using a formula. It goes far beyond that. To solve a particular question, it is important to understand what is it that the question is asking, identify the underlying concept and then apply that conceptual knowledge to get the solution. The reason why students take a lot of time to prepare for GMAT is because
  • they do not understand what is it that is actually tested on GMAT
  • so, they start their preparation by practicing questions from OG or a few random materials
  • When they take a mock, they get shattered on seeing the score as months of preparation could only get them the average score a beginner will get.
  • So, they start seeking advises regarding the study strategy and start their preparation from scratch.

As you see, a lot of time, effort and money gets wasted in the process. GMAT is a test which requires a considerable investment of all three parameters. So, it is important to make sure to invest them in the right manner and get the desired result.

What should be the ideal way of preparation?

The main idea while preparation has to be to learn the methodologies to solve questions. GMAT quant tests specific types of questions from each topic, so knowing those question types and understanding the methodologies to solve them should ideally get you a good score. There are a certain steps to be followed while doing your preparation. You should make sure to:
  • Learn the concepts – one topic at a time (Start with your stronger area)
  • Learn the right methodologies to solve the questions of that particular topic
  • Start taking sectional quizzes and make sure to solve the questions using the methodology learnt
  • Make sure to move to the next topic, only when you get at least easy-medium questions right.
  • If you have less than 60% accuracy in any topic, identify the reason behind the struggle and work on improving it.
  • Once you move to the next topic, it is important to maintain the momentum that you had in the previous topics. Many students tend to forget the concepts they learnt once they start focusing on new topics. This is the time when OG comes into picture. You can practice a minimum of 5 questions of a particular topic everyday so that you do not lose touch with that topic
  • Once you are done with all the topics, start taking mocks at regular intervals and see the score pattern

Having said that, how do you go about learning the right methodology? Is there any effective way of doing that?

Yes! The best way to learn the right methodology is to learn the concepts along with the methodology. And to understand where you are going wrong while solving questions, it is really important to refer to the detailed solutions and compare your approach with the right one. This will help you nullify the gap gradually, making sure that you master the skill of using the right methodology.

The need to use the right resource:

As you now understood the importance of using the right methodology, it is equally important to use the right resource to learn that. The resource you use has to teach you the concepts methodically and also the right strategies. It should help you solve GMAT like questions and also provide you with detailed solutions. The best way you can learn the right approach is by referring to the solutions and comparing your approach with the right one. It should help you identify your weaker areas and work on them. So, make sure to choose the right resource this time and start studying from it.

If you are open to suggestions, I would like you to take a check at the course of GMATWhiz.
  • It is one unique course which offers you the best quality content and employs an artificial intelligence driven learning.
  • It offers you a personalized study plan which is integrated with the course.
  • The concept booster and practice quizzes after every concept video help you solve GMAT like questions using the right methodology.
  • It offers you real time improvement modules so that you can work on your weaker areas right away.

There are many more exciting features offered by the course.You can understand the course structure and the get the experience of the standard question types by checking out the free trial. Hope it helped! If you have any more concerns regarding the GMAT preparation or wish to know more about study strategy, you can always write back or a better way would be to discuss over a call. You can schedule a free consultation call using the below link.

Click here to schedule a call
GMAT Club Bot