Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 00:08 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Algebrax                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13388 [1]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 626
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2287 [1]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Re: Which of the following equations has 1 + 2 as one of its roots? [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
woohoo921 wrote:
I was curious as to what would happen if instead I shifted the root 2 over, setting the equation equal to 1... rather than how the OG shifts the 1 over and sets the equation equal to root 2. When I do x-root2=1 and then square both sides, I get to a final equation of x^2-2xroot2+2. Why did I get a different equation doing this?

I don't have the OG solution in front of me, but I suspect that your use of the word "shift", woohoo921, might be causing you to make a careless error (I've seen it happen a lot). Instead, I suggest that you articulate to yourself which arithmetic operation you're performing on both sides of the equation, e.g. "I'm adding 1 to both sides of the equation, and subtracting root(2) from both sides of the equation."
If that doesn't help, please reply with the original equation, which arithmetic operations you performed on it, and the final equation.
Director
Director
Send PM
Which of the following equations has 1 + 2 as one of its roots? [#permalink]
avigutman wrote:
woohoo921 wrote:
I was curious as to what would happen if instead I shifted the root 2 over, setting the equation equal to 1... rather than how the OG shifts the 1 over and sets the equation equal to root 2. When I do x-root2=1 and then square both sides, I get to a final equation of x^2-2xroot2+2. Why did I get a different equation doing this?

I don't have the OG solution in front of me, but I suspect that your use of the word "shift", woohoo921, might be causing you to make a careless error (I've seen it happen a lot). Instead, I suggest that you articulate to yourself which arithmetic operation you're performing on both sides of the equation, e.g. "I'm adding 1 to both sides of the equation, and subtracting root(2) from both sides of the equation."
If that doesn't help, please reply with the original equation, which arithmetic operations you performed on it, and the final equation.

avigutman
Thank you for your response!
The Official Guide says you can solve this problem by working backwards to construct a quadratic equation with 1 +root2 as a root that does not involve radicals. The OG then proceeds to set x=1+root2 and subtracts 1 from both sides, squares both sides, and then subtracts 2 from both sides to arrive at x^2-2x+1. My question was if I subtract root2 from the right-hand side of the equation instead of root 1 --> x-root2=1 and then solve through, I get x^2-2xroot2+2. Where did I go wrong? Should I have arrived at the same exact equation as the answer choice?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2287 [1]
Send PM
Re: Which of the following equations has 1 + 2 as one of its roots? [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
woohoo921 wrote:
The Official Guide says you can solve this problem by working backwards to construct a quadratic equation with 1 +root2 as a root that does not involve radicals. The OG then proceeds to set x=1+root2 and subtracts 1 from both sides, squares both sides, and then subtracts 2 from both sides to arrive at x^2-2x+1. My question was if I subtract root2 from the right-hand side of the equation instead of root 1 --> x-root2=1 and then solve through, I get x^2-2xroot2+2. Where did I go wrong? Should I have arrived at the same exact equation as the answer choice?

So, you took x-root2=1 and at that point you decided to square both sides of the equation, right, woohoo921?
But, then you only typed the left hand side. What about the right hand side?
If the OG's final equation had zero on the right hand side, and your final equation has 1 on the right hand side, then it's the same equation, yes?
Director
Director
Send PM
avigutman wrote:
woohoo921 wrote:

So, you took x-root2=1 and at that point you decided to square both sides of the equation, right, woohoo921?
But, then you only typed the left hand side. What about the right hand side?
If the OG's final equation had zero on the right hand side, and your final equation has 1 on the right hand side, then it's the same equation, yes?

I did forget about the 1, but I still have a root 2 in the answer approaching the problem this way: x^2-xroot2+1

In other words, what equation would you get solving for: x-root2=1

Thank you for all of your help!!!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2287 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
woohoo921 wrote:
What equation would you get solving for: x-root2=1

Oh, I see what you mean, woohoo921. So, yeah, you're getting a different equation (which is also correct, but it's not in the answer choices). This can happen because [1+root(2)] is just one root out of two, and we don't know what the other root is. There's an infinite number of equations for which [1+root(2)] is a root, depending on the other root. Whoever wrote the OG solution got "lucky" that his or her specific manipulations happened to lead to an equation that appears within the answer choices.
Director
Director
Send PM
KarishmaB wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Which of the following equations has 1 + √2 as one of its roots?

A) x^2 + 2x – 1 = 0
B) x^2 – 2x + 1 = 0
C) x^2 + 2x + 1 = 0
D) x^2 – 2x – 1 = 0
E) x^2 – x – 1= 0

Note that
(B) is (x - 1)^2 so its roots are 1 and 1.
(C) is (x + 1)^2 so its roots are -1 and -1.

Now note that all 3 of the remaining options have x^2. When you put \(x = (1 + \sqrt{2})^2\) in them, you will get \((+2\sqrt{2})\) term. It should get canceled out by another term to get 0. So you should get \((-2\sqrt{2})\) term.
Option (D) has -2x which will give a term \(-2\sqrt{2}\).

So answer (D)

KarishmaB
In your view, once you eliminate choices B and C, would it be a bad idea to plug in 1 +root(2) into x for the remaining answer choices and solving algebraically to see which one gives you a solution of zero... if you are really stuck? Thank you!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64926 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
woohoo921 wrote:
KarishmaB wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

A) x^2 + 2x – 1 = 0
B) x^2 – 2x + 1 = 0
C) x^2 + 2x + 1 = 0
D) x^2 – 2x – 1 = 0
E) x^2 – x – 1= 0

Note that
(B) is (x - 1)^2 so its roots are 1 and 1.
(C) is (x + 1)^2 so its roots are -1 and -1.

Now note that all 3 of the remaining options have x^2. When you put \(x = (1 + \sqrt{2})^2\) in them, you will get \((+2\sqrt{2})\) term. It should get canceled out by another term to get 0. So you should get \((-2\sqrt{2})\) term.
Option (D) has -2x which will give a term \(-2\sqrt{2}\).

So answer (D)

KarishmaB
In your view, once you eliminate choices B and C, would it be a bad idea to plug in 1 +root(2) into x for the remaining answer choices and solving algebraically to see which one gives you a solution of zero... if you are really stuck? Thank you!

Certainly not! Whatever helps you get the answer quickly. I try to give you an efficient method - the one that comes to my mind at that time. I could be using another method if facing the same question another time.
Solve it in whichever way you can and then try to look for a better method (while practicing only! :)).
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13388 [0]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Which of the following equations has 1 + 2 as one of its roots? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
woohoo921 wrote:
GMATinsight wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

A) x^2 + 2x – 1 = 0
B) x^2 – 2x + 1 = 0
C) x^2 + 2x + 1 = 0
D) x^2 – 2x – 1 = 0
E) x^2 – x – 1= 0

Solve the Official Questions more productively

Click here for Timed Sectional Tests with Video solutions of each question
Also explore Dedicated Data Sufficiency (DS) Course

Answer: Option D

Step-by-Step Video solution by GMATinsight

BEST On-Demand QUANT Course: Topicwise Modules | 2000+Qns | Official Qns. | 100% Video solution.
Two MUST join YouTube channels : GMATinsight (1000+ FREE Videos) and GMATclub :)

GMATinsight
This is very helpful, thank you!
To confirm, when you are simplifying (2 + or minus root(8))/2... does the 2 divide into both the 2 and the 2root(2) because there is a plus or minus sign (so you think of it as two fractions with a denominator of 2 that are being added or subtracted together)?
Thank you again.

Hi woohoo921

Yes, 2 divide into both the 2 and the 2root(2)

i.e. \(\frac{2±√2}{2} = \frac{2}{2}± \frac{√2}{2} = 1 ± \frac{1}{√2}\)

and If you like the post and found it useful then don't forget to click on KUDOS button. It always motivates to get more Kudos. :) :thumbsup:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1531
Send PM
KarishmaB

I thought the conjugate root theorem can be applied only when one of the roots contains an imaginary number. However, neither [1 + (2)^1/2] or [1 - (2)^1/2] contains an imaginary number.

Please help explain.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64926 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Vegita wrote:
KarishmaB

I thought the conjugate root theorem can be applied only when one of the roots contains an imaginary number. However, neither [1 + (2)^1/2] or [1 - (2)^1/2] contains an imaginary number.

Please help explain.

It works for irrational roots too (assuming all co-efficients are rational numbers)

Think about it: \(ax^2 + bx + c = 0\)
a, b and c are rational numbers

Roots are \(\frac{-b+-\sqrt{b^2 - 4ac}}{2a}\)

That is, the roots are \(\frac{-b}{2a} + \frac{\sqrt{b^2 - 4ac}}{2a}\) and \(\frac{-b}{2a} - \frac{\sqrt{b^2 - 4ac}}{2a}\) (split into rational and irrational parts). The only difference between the two is the sign before the irrational part.

If the co-efficients were irrational too, then we couldn't split them cleanly into the rational and the irrational parts as we did above.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 185
WE:Advertising (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
JeffTargetTestPrep wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

A) x^2 + 2x – 1 = 0
B) x^2 – 2x + 1 = 0
C) x^2 + 2x + 1 = 0
D) x^2 – 2x – 1 = 0
E) x^2 – x – 1= 0

To solve this problem, we need to use the following two facts:

1) If a quadratic equation has integer coefficients only, and if one of the roots is a + √b (where a and b are integers), then a - √b is also a root of the equation.

2) If r and s are roots of a quadratic equation, then the equation is of the form x^2 – (r +s)x + rs = 0.

Since we know that 1 - √2 is a root of the quadratic equation, we can let:

r = 1 + √2

and

s = 1 - √2

Thus, r + s = (1 + √2) + (1 - √2) = 2 and rs = (1 + √2)(1 - √2) = 1 – 2 = -1.

Therefore, the quadratic equation must be x^2 – 2x – 1 = 0.

Answer: D

JeffTargetTestPrep Can you please explain the first fact further? Why is 1-sqrt2 also a root of the equation?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
My approach:
(1+root2)^2=3+2root2
substitute X with this value in each answer choice
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
Math Expert
92915 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts