GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 10 Dec 2018, 07:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free lesson on number properties

December 10, 2018

December 10, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

December 11, 2018

December 11, 2018

09:00 PM EST

10:00 PM EST

Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics. December 11 at 9 PM EST.

Which verbal prep? 3rd GMAT attempt didn't go so well

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Thread Master - Part Time MBA Programs
S
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 640 Q48 V30
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.32
WE: Operations (Retail)
Which verbal prep? 3rd GMAT attempt didn't go so well  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2018, 14:51
Hi everyone,

I just took my GMAT again today and ended up with 640 (Q48, V30, IR7). The first exam I took was back in March 2018 and scored 620 (Q46,V30,IR6). I studied for another two months and didn't see any improvement on verbal. I am waiting to get my ESR to see where my weakness is, but my weakness has always been SC and I've been focusing on studying verbal. I am not super happy, as I know I am capable of scoring upper 600s to low 700s based on my practice exams.

Quant:
Everything went well. I was very conscious of my timing and had a few questions that I knew I didn't know the answers so I made educated guesses and moved on to focus on questions that I can get right. In return, I was able to improve my Quant from Q46 to Q48. This aligns with Q49 that I've been getting on practice exams so I am not too concerned.

Took a break and drank water and had a protein bar in between.

Verbal:
I was confident going into Verbal knowing that I did fairly well with Quant. My only hope was to stay focused throughout the exam and at least aim for V34-V35 to hit ~680. I got two freaking long RC passages that ate up my time and I was losing focus as they were unexpected. My timing was also off as I had only 15 mins left with 10 questions to go, including another RC. I ended up finishing the exam on time, but I had to definitely skim through last RC. My weakness has always been SC and without ESR, I don't know exactly how I performed this time around but I did I messed up on RC, rather than SC this time.

Took a break and drank water

IR/AWA:
Went fine. I've always done well on AWA so I didn't even focus on AWA and I didn't study for IR and ended with a 7.

I am not looking to score any 700+ scores, but at least close to 680 and 700 for my part-time programs at Haas, Booth, or Kellogg. I have engaged in multiple school events in the past year with these schools. I have strong extracurricular activities from both undergrad (at Cal) and after graduation. My work experiences are strong with a few promotions at FAANG.

My only concern is my GPA (3.32 in Econ) and GMAT. I don't think I can even get into any part-time programs: Haas, Booth, or Kellogg with the given score.

At this point, I am looking for 680 (+40pts increase) with my focus on Verbal. I have used both MGMAT and OG. I am interested in learning more about Veritas, EGMAT, or Empower. Which one would be ideal for someone looking to improve V30 to V35? I know I am capable of scoring V35, as I have scored V36-V38 multiple times on GMAC Practice Exams. My plan is to retake in 3-4 weeks.

Thanks
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Which verbal prep? 3rd GMAT attempt didn't go so well  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2018, 16:07
Hi hanamana,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day did not go as well as hoped. GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Thus, your 2 Official Scores show that you essentially performed the same each time (about 630 +/- a few points). You handle certain aspects of the GMAT consistently well, but you also make certain consistent mistakes. While I'm sure that you've worked through lots of practice problems over the last several months, you continue to 'see' (and respond to) the GMAT in the same general ways - which is why you earned the same general Score. As it stands, you're actually closer a 680+ than you probably realize, but you're going to have to make some fundamental changes to how you handle the Exam to pick up those missing options.

You might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn't provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

1) Which 'brands' of CATs have you used so far (including the ones you used during your 1st attempt)?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

S

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2018, 20:10
Hi Rich,

I have been using GMAC official practice exams. My scores have ranged from 660 - 710. I have been able to pull Q48, but my verbal has not been any higher than 31, which is significantly lower than what I have been getting. My hypothesis is that I get tired after Quant and I lose focus during Verbal section. I am more comfortable doing Quant, hence I want to change my strategy and start with Verbal first from moving forward. If I can score 3-4 pts higher on Verbal while maintaining or forgiving a point on Quant, I would still be able to pull 670-680, which is much better than 640.

Have you ever heard of anyone improving their scores after changing the sequence in testing order?
e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2018, 23:53
Hi hanamana,

I am sorry that your scores were not in line with your expectations. I see that you are looking at multiple courses that will help you reach your target score. Below are the considerations that I think you should keep in mind while selecting a course:

How should you choose a prep course?

While reviewing the courses you must look at the following factors:
    1. Will the course work for you? Look at the free trial resources of various courses out there and evaluate their teaching methodologies. Choose the one which suits your needs.
    2. Is the course proven to deliver success to students like you? – Look at the reviews of courses out there and see what others have to say and then decide.

Some Success Stories of students who showed considerable improvement in Verbal to reach their target score

Arjun improved from 610 (Q48 V26) to 730 (Q49 V41) with the Verbal Online course. Click here to view his video interview.
    Nishant improved from a V27 to V41. Click here to read his amazing success story.
    Rhea improved from a V32 (620)to V41 (760) in 40 days. Click here to watch her inspiring video interview. Click here to read her de-brief.
    • Learn how Martina improved from 620 to 730 in just 3 weeks.(V31 to V46 ). Click here to watch her interview.
    Nihal improved from a V25 (630) to V41 (760). Click here to read his debrief.

EXPERIENCE THE e-GMAT FREE TRIAL

I’m sharing some direct links of free trial material with you which can help you evaluate our course better. More of them (25 video lessons and 380+ practice questions) are available on your free trial dashboard.
    • Learn to identify "Verb-ed" forms that don’t act as verbs - Play Video Lesson
    • Learn to understand the "Main Point" or purpose of a RC Paragraph - Play Video Lesson

Attend Free SC Webinar this weekend

We are conducting a free SC webinar this weekend which focuses on how meaning and logic can help you tackle every SC question. Register here to reserve your spot.

Hope this helps! If you have any specific queries regarding e-GMAT, please write to us at support@e-gmat.com. We will be happy to answer.

Regards,
Aditee

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

S

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2018, 09:10
egmat wrote:
Hi hanamana,

I am sorry that your scores were not in line with your expectations. I see that you are looking at multiple courses that will help you reach your target score. Below are the considerations that I think you should keep in mind while selecting a course:

How should you choose a prep course?

While reviewing the courses you must look at the following factors:
    1. Will the course work for you? Look at the free trial resources of various courses out there and evaluate their teaching methodologies. Choose the one which suits your needs.
    2. Is the course proven to deliver success to students like you? – Look at the reviews of courses out there and see what others have to say and then decide.

Some Success Stories of students who showed considerable improvement in Verbal to reach their target score

Arjun improved from 610 (Q48 V26) to 730 (Q49 V41) with the Verbal Online course. Click here to view his video interview.
    Nishant improved from a V27 to V41. Click here to read his amazing success story.
    Rhea improved from a V32 (620)to V41 (760) in 40 days. Click here to watch her inspiring video interview. Click here to read her de-brief.
    • Learn how Martina improved from 620 to 730 in just 3 weeks.(V31 to V46 ). Click here to watch her interview.
    Nihal improved from a V25 (630) to V41 (760). Click here to read his debrief.

EXPERIENCE THE e-GMAT FREE TRIAL

I’m sharing some direct links of free trial material with you which can help you evaluate our course better. More of them (25 video lessons and 380+ practice questions) are available on your free trial dashboard.
    • Learn to identify "Verb-ed" forms that don’t act as verbs - Play Video Lesson
    • Learn to understand the "Main Point" or purpose of a RC Paragraph - Play Video Lesson

Attend Free SC Webinar this weekend

We are conducting a free SC webinar this weekend which focuses on how meaning and logic can help you tackle every SC question. Register here to reserve your spot.

Hope this helps! If you have any specific queries regarding e-GMAT, please write to us at support@e-gmat.com. We will be happy to answer.

Regards,
Aditee

Hi Aditee,

Thank you :) I just signed up for a free trial and see if I like it or not!!
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2018, 12:35
Hi hanamana,

It's certainly possible that you might perform better overall if you begin your Exam with the Verbal section instead of the Quant section. If you truly are dealing with significant fatigue 'issues' on Test Day though, then we have to take a closer look at the lead-up to Test Day and Test Day itself:

1) What did you do in the 3 days before your GMAT?
2) How did you sleep the night before your Test?
3) How long was the travel time to the Test Center from your home? What time was your Test appointment?
4) Were there any distractions at the facility or during the Test?
5) What did you do during the two 8-minute breaks?
6) Did you finish any sections early?
7) Did you have to rush to finish any sections (and guess on questions just to finish on time)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Which verbal prep? 3rd GMAT attempt didn't go so well &nbs [#permalink] 25 Sep 2018, 12:35

Which verbal prep? 3rd GMAT attempt didn't go so well

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, bb, EMPOWERgmatRichC

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap