GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Nov 2018, 10:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
28293031123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
2526272829301
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Essential GMAT Time-Management Hacks

     November 14, 2018

     November 14, 2018

     08:00 PM MST

     09:00 PM MST

    Join the webinar and learn time-management tactics that will guarantee you answer all questions, in all sections, on time. Save your spot today! Nov. 14th at 7 PM PST
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

     November 15, 2018

     November 15, 2018

     10:00 PM MST

     11:00 PM MST

    EMPOWERgmat is giving away the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)

While all financial institutions face a similar crisis, those investme

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 16 May 2017
Posts: 53
Location: India
WE: General Management (Retail Banking)
CAT Tests
While all financial institutions face a similar crisis, those investme  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2018, 07:53
1
3
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

61% (01:30) correct 39% (01:49) wrong based on 94 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

While all financial institutions face a similar crisis, those investment houses that hold a significant number of subprime mortgage loans and the insurance companies that underwrite credit swaps obviously dictates the types and mounts of assistance required to fix the problem.


(A) all financial institutions face a similar crisis,those investment houses that hold a significant number of subprime mortgage loans and the insurance companies that underwrite credit swaps obviously dictates

(B) each financial institution faces a similar crisis, the investment houses holding a significant number of subprime mortgage loans and the insurance companies that underwrite credit swaps obviously dictate

(C) all financial institutions face a similar crisis; the financial investment houses that have a significant holding in subprime mortgage loans and the insurance companies that underwrite credit swaps obviously dictates

(D) each financial institution faces similar crises, the investment houses that hold a significant number of subprime mortgage and each of the insurance companies that underwrite credit swaps obviously dictates

(E) all financial institutions face similar crises, those investment houses that have a significant holding in subprime mortgage loans and those insurance companies that underwrite credit swaps obviously dictate

Why is B wrong? Does't E change meaning?

_________________

"The harder you work the luckier you get"

Most Helpful Community Reply
SC Moderator
User avatar
G
Joined: 30 Jan 2015
Posts: 612
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 3.5
Re: While all financial institutions face a similar crisis, those investme  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2018, 09:15
4
1
B vs. E

Both B and E conveys the same intended meaning, the error is in the not-so-parallel construct of the prior.

(B) each financial institution faces a similar crisis, the investment houses holding a significant number of subprime mortgage loans and the insurance companies that underwrite credit swaps obviously dictate
--> Incorrect, Parallel error "The X verb+ing, and the Y that"

(E) all financial institutions face similar crises, those investment houses that have a significant holding in subprime mortgage loans and those insurance companies that underwrite credit swaps obviously dictate
--> Correct, rectifies parallel error "Those X that, and those Y that"
_________________

The few, the fearless !

Thanks :-)

General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 17 Jan 2017
Posts: 299
Location: India
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: While all financial institutions face a similar crisis, those investme  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2018, 08:07
1
aghosh54 wrote:
While all financial institutions face a similar crisis, those investment houses that hold a significant number of subprime mortgage loans and the insurance companies that underwrite credit swaps obviously dictates the types and mounts of assistance required to fix the problem.

(A) all financial institutions face a similar crisis,those investment houses that hold a significant number of subprime mortgage loans and the insurance companies that underwrite credit swaps obviously dictates

(B) each financial institution faces a similar crisis, the investment houses holding a significant number of subprime mortgage loans and the insurance companies that underwrite credit swaps obviously dictate

(C) all financial institutions face a similar crisis; the financial investment houses that have a significant holding in subprime mortgage loans and the insurance companies that underwrite credit swaps obviously dictates

(D) each financial institution faces similar crises, the investment houses that hold a significant number of subprime mortgage and each of the insurance companies that underwrite credit swaps obviously dictates

(E) all financial institutions face similar crises, those investment houses that have a significant holding in subprime mortgage loans and those insurance companies that underwrite credit swaps obviously dictate

Why is B wrong? Does't E change meaning?


+1 for E

Split 1:
S-V agreement
Insurance companies - Plural subject should have 'Dictate'- Plural verb

Eliminate A, C, D

Split 2:
Between B and E
The investment houses is wrong diction. Those investment houses is right diction. Hence eliminate B

(A) all financial institutions face a similar crisis,those investment houses that hold a significant number of subprime mortgage loans and the insurance companies that underwrite credit swaps obviously dictates

(B) each financial institution faces a similar crisis, the investment houses holding a significant number of subprime mortgage loans and the insurance companies that underwrite credit swaps obviously dictate

(C) all financial institutions face a similar crisis; the financial investment houses that have a significant holding in subprime mortgage loans and the insurance companies that underwrite credit swaps obviously dictates

(D) each financial institution faces similar crises, the investment houses that hold a significant number of subprime mortgage and each of the insurance companies that underwrite credit swaps obviously dictates

(E) all financial institutions face similar crises, those investment houses that have a significant holding in subprime mortgage loans and those insurance companies that underwrite credit swaps obviously dictate --> Rectifies diction error and uses correct parallelism
_________________

Only those who risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 16 May 2017
Posts: 53
Location: India
WE: General Management (Retail Banking)
CAT Tests
Re: While all financial institutions face a similar crisis, those investme  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2018, 08:16
Akash720 wrote:
aghosh54 wrote:
While all financial institutions face a similar crisis, those investment houses that hold a significant number of subprime mortgage loans and the insurance companies that underwrite credit swaps obviously dictates the types and mounts of assistance required to fix the problem.

(A) all financial institutions face a similar crisis,those investment houses that hold a significant number of subprime mortgage loans and the insurance companies that underwrite credit swaps obviously dictates

(B) each financial institution faces a similar crisis, the investment houses holding a significant number of subprime mortgage loans and the insurance companies that underwrite credit swaps obviously dictate

(C) all financial institutions face a similar crisis; the financial investment houses that have a significant holding in subprime mortgage loans and the insurance companies that underwrite credit swaps obviously dictates

(D) each financial institution faces similar crises, the investment houses that hold a significant number of subprime mortgage and each of the insurance companies that underwrite credit swaps obviously dictates

(E) all financial institutions face similar crises, those investment houses that have a significant holding in subprime mortgage loans and those insurance companies that underwrite credit swaps obviously dictate

Why is B wrong? Does't E change meaning?


+1 for E

Split 1:
S-V agreement
Insurance companies - Plural subject should have 'Dictate'- Plural verb

Eliminate A, C, D

Split 2:
Between B and E
The investment houses is wrong diction. Those investment houses is right diction. Hence eliminate B

(A) all financial institutions face a similar crisis,those investment houses that hold a significant number of subprime mortgage loans and the insurance companies that underwrite credit swaps obviously dictates

(B) each financial institution faces a similar crisis, the investment houses holding a significant number of subprime mortgage loans and the insurance companies that underwrite credit swaps obviously dictate

(C) all financial institutions face a similar crisis; the financial investment houses that have a significant holding in subprime mortgage loans and the insurance companies that underwrite credit swaps obviously dictates

(D) each financial institution faces similar crises, the investment houses that hold a significant number of subprime mortgage and each of the insurance companies that underwrite credit swaps obviously dictates

(E) all financial institutions face similar crises, those investment houses that have a significant holding in subprime mortgage loans and those insurance companies that underwrite credit swaps obviously dictate --> Rectifies diction error and uses correct parallelism

Could you farther explain as to why B is wrong?
Doesn't E change the meaning a bit?
As per the question- hold a significant number of subprime mortgage loans
As per E - have a significant holding in subprime mortgage loans
_________________

"The harder you work the luckier you get"

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 17 Jan 2017
Posts: 299
Location: India
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: While all financial institutions face a similar crisis, those investme  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2018, 08:34
aghosh54 wrote:
Akash720 wrote:
aghosh54 wrote:
Could you farther explain as to why B is wrong?
Doesn't E change the meaning a bit?
As per the question- hold a significant number of subprime mortgage loans
As per E - have a significant holding in subprime mortgage loans


Hi sudarshan22

Could you please help us here? Is E the intended meaning of the sentence ?
_________________

Only those who risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go

GMAT Club Bot
Re: While all financial institutions face a similar crisis, those investme &nbs [#permalink] 12 Sep 2018, 08:34
Display posts from previous: Sort by

While all financial institutions face a similar crisis, those investme

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.