It is currently 24 Feb 2018, 10:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

While e-reading is more convenient by far, it has drawbacks:

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
While e-reading is more convenient by far, it has drawbacks: [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2016, 11:08
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

72% (01:31) correct 28% (01:31) wrong based on 212 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

While e-reading is more convenient by far, it has drawbacks: you can have books purloined by publishers and vendors over legal squabbles, the battery can die, and you need to turn your e-reader off for airplane takeoffs and landings. Regardless of how pervasive technology becomes in our literary lives, people will forever long for the tactile experience of reading a tangible book - bought from a tangible store. Therefore, online stores and e-books do not pose a threat to independent bookstores or larger chains.

The argument above assumes the validity of which of the following premises?

(A) No larger book store chain will go out of business in the foreseeable future

(B) Independent bookstores should become better positioned to compete with larger chains and online stores

(C) A representative consumer factors in the tactile sensation of a book in the decision process to purchase that book

(D) Online stores and e-books will continue to grow in popularity

(E) The subject matter of a book is the deciding factor in the decision to own that book

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Boil it down:
online stores and e-books are no threat to independent bookstores or larger chains because people will forever long for the tactile experience

--> Assumption: (B), (D) and (E) are the 3 easy outs.
If I make the negative test on (A) A larger bookstore chain will go out of business in the foreseeable future --> In my opinion the argument is destroyed, hence (A) is the correct answer.

(C) is for me as a non-native not really understandable....

I hope you can help me with that issue.

Kindest regards,

CadTec
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by broall on 29 Sep 2017, 19:02, edited 3 times in total.
Additional content hidden under spoiler
1 KUDOS received
SC Moderator
P
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE: Analyst (Retail)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: While e-reading is more convenient by far, it has drawbacks: [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2016, 19:47
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
CadTec wrote:
Boil it down:
online stores and e-books are no threat to independent bookstores or larger chains because people will forever long for the tactile experience

If I make the negative test on (A) A larger bookstore chain will go out of business in the foreseeable future --> In my opinion the argument is destroyed, hence (A) is the correct answer.

Kindest regards,

CadTec

Hi CadTec,

The negation of 'no' is 'some'. So negating A does not shatter the conclusion. Also A is out of context as the argument does not discuss about the capacity of a bookstore.

Rather the argument focuses on sensation or the feeling obtained by touching a book. C provides the required assumption by stating that a consumer takes his\her feeling of sensation into account while purchasing the book.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
D

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2016, 20:34
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
CadTec wrote:
Dear GMAT Assassins,

unfortunately I have a problem with the following Assumption-Q.:

While e-reading is more convenient by far, it has drawbacks: you can have books purloined by publishers and vendors over legal squabbles, the battery can die, and you need to turn your e-reader off for airplane takeoffs and landings. Regardless of how pervasive technology becomes in our literary lives, people will forever long for the tactile experience of reading a tangible book - bought from a tangible store. Therefore, online stores and e-books do not pose a threat to independent bookstores or larger chains.

(A) No larger book store chain will go out of business in the foreseeable future

(B) Independent bookstores should become better positioned to compete with larger chains and online stores

(C) A representative consumer factors in the tactile sensation of a book in the decision process to purchase that book

(E) The subject matter of a book is the deciding factor in the decision to own that book

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Boil it down:

Kindest regards,

CadTec

Hi,

Although Vyshak has already given you few reasons, let me pitch in with my two cents-

two reasons WHY A should not be the answer-

1) NO larger book store chain-- NO here makes it too extreme and more than often it is good ground to eliminate the choice
2) Is it a assumption at all - NO. It is more like an inference or some kind of conclusion or something flowing out of the argument..
Remember assumption is something which connects the premise and conclusion

Now two reasons WHY C should be the answer-

1) simple, no better choice.
2) I can understand that many of us will not understand pervasive, tangible, tactile, purloined and I really doubt that real GMAT will make it a TEST of your VOCABULARY rather than CRITICAL REASONING.
But still if you get such a Q somewhere else also, what should strike you is the word tactile as it also has been used in the main PARA. so the two sentences which should help you in this is --
PARA - people will forever long for the tactile experience of reading a tangible book..
CHOICE - A representative consumer factors in the tactile sensation of a book in the decision process to purchase that book

Add the two and you will get your answer irrespective of WHAT tactile means..

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

BANGALORE/-

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2016, 05:32
Vyshak and chetan2u,

thank you very much for your detailed answer. I get the point! ;) Nevertheless, I am still afraid of some passages, which I just don't understand enough to find the assumption.

Kindest regards,

CadTec
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Daboo: Sonu
GMAT 1: 590 Q49 V20
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2016, 01:41
This post was
BOOKMARKED
CadTec wrote:
Dear GMAT Assassins,

unfortunately I have a problem with the following Assumption-Q.:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Boil it down:

Kindest regards,

CadTec

correct ans
negate C. when we negate c it will shatter the conclusion

You have to have the darkness for the dawn to come.

Give Kudos if you like my post

Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
While e-reading is more convenient by far, it has drawbacks [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2017, 13:41
While e-reading is more convenient by far, it has drawbacks: you can have books purloined by publishers and vendors over legal squabbles, the battery can die and you need to turn your e-reader off for airplane takeoffs and landings. Regardless of how pervasive technology becomes in our literary lives, people will forever long for the tactile experience of reading a tangible book — bought from a tangible store. Therefore , online stores and e-books do not pose a threat to independent bookstores or larger chains.

A. No larger bookstore chain will go out of business in the foreseeable future.
B. Independent bookstores should become better positioned to compete with larger chains and online stores.
C. A representative consumer factors in the tactile sensation of a book in the decision process to purchase that book.
D. Online stores and e-books will continue to grow in popularity.
E. The subject matter of a book is the deciding factor in the decision to own that book.

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Last edited by broall on 29 Sep 2017, 19:02, edited 1 time in total.
Merged post. Please search before posting question!
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
Re: While e-reading is more convenient by far, it has drawbacks [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2017, 15:07
Skywalker18 wrote:
While e-reading is more convenient by far, it has drawbacks: you can have books purloined by publishers and vendors over legal squabbles, the battery can die and you need to turn your e-reader off for airplane takeoffs and landings. Regardless of how pervasive technology becomes in our literary lives, people will forever long for the tactile experience of reading a tangible book — bought from a tangible store. Therefore , online stores and e-books do not pose a threat to independent bookstores or larger chains.

A. No larger bookstore chain will go out of business in the foreseeable future.
B. Independent bookstores should become better positioned to compete with larger chains and online stores.
C. A representative consumer factors in the tactile sensation of a book in the decision process to purchase that book.
D. Online stores and e-books will continue to grow in popularity.
E. The subject matter of a book is the deciding factor in the decision to own that book.

The answer I came to the conclusion of is C.
Here was my pre-thinking process. I started by determining the conclusion: Online stores and e-books do not pose at threat to independent book stores.
Next I found the reasoning used in the passage: People will forever long for the tactile experience of reading a tangible book - bought from a tangible store.
Then i looked for the missing piece: Assumes that e-books cannot replicate physical books.

I quickly skimmed through the answer choices and disregarded them as follows
A: irrelevant to my assumption
B: Irrelevant to assumption (If the book stores don't have to compete with e-books why would they need to position?)
C: Relevant to assumption, if a consumer factors in the tactile sensation of a book in the decision process to purchase that book, then we find that e-books wont be able to replicate this and therefore the premise stands
D: Irrelevant (No mention of popularity)/
E: Irrelevant (Not mentioned in passage)
Re: While e-reading is more convenient by far, it has drawbacks   [#permalink] 29 Sep 2017, 15:07

While e-reading is more convenient by far, it has drawbacks:

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap