GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Oct 2018, 09:11

Q&A in Progress!

AMA with ExamPAL. Ask all your questions about GMAT Prep to expert. Join HERE

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

While high oil prices may be problematic for some trucking companies,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
G
Premium Member
While high oil prices may be problematic for some trucking companies,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2018, 17:16
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

64% (01:16) correct 36% (01:25) wrong based on 186 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

While high oil prices may be problematic for some trucking companies, they may be disastrous for airlines, whose operations—already losing money—could be plunged into bankruptcy.

A. they may be disastrous for airlines, whose
B. they may potentially cause disaster for airlines in that their
C. for airlines they may be disastrous, because their
D. for airlines, it may be disastrous in that their
E. it may potentially cause disaster for airlines, whose

Please +1 Kudos

“Learning is a treasure that will follow its owner everywhere.”

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
While high oil prices may be problematic for some trucking companies,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2018, 14:02
I understand that we need to use "they" to refer to prices (plural) but isn't it then creating an ambiguity as "they" could refer to both prices and companies?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S
Re: While high oil prices may be problematic for some trucking companies,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jan 2018, 02:02
We don't always have ambiguity when there is more than one possible antecedent for a pronoun, as long as the intended antecedent is clear. Here, it's pretty clear that trucking companies aren't disastrous for airlines. This doesn't fit the overall meaning of the sentence, which contrasts the effect of oil prices on two different types of companies. Also, the structure of the sentence points us toward the correct antecedent. If we start a sentence with "While X does this, it," the expectation is that "it" refers back to the subject, "X," and we'd have to clarify if we intended anything else. This works the same for objects as for subjects. If I say "I like jam on toast, but I also like it by itself," the structure leads us to believe that "it" refers to the first object ("jam"), not the noun from the modifier ("toast"). If I mean that I like toast by itself, I need to supply that noun rather than use a pronoun. Here's a good official example: https://gmatclub.com/forum/by-offering- ... 35470.html

Speaking of official examples, the problem in this post is clearly inspired by this official question, so we can be sure this is just fine on the GMAT: https://gmatclub.com/forum/qotd-while-d ... 43182.html

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE: Information Technology (Other)

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2018, 17:26
gmatFalcon wrote:
While high oil prices may be problematic for some trucking companies, they may be disastrous for airlines, whose operations—already losing money—could be plunged into bankruptcy.

A. they may be disastrous for airlines, whose
B. they may potentially cause disaster for airlines in that their
C. for airlines they may be disastrous, because their
D. for airlines, it may be disastrous in that their
E. it may potentially cause disaster for airlines, whose

https://gmatclub.com/forum/qotd-while-d ... 43182.html - the similar question, explained by GmatNinja.
And more: https://gmatclub.com/forum/qotd-in-some ... hilit=QOTD
GMAT Club Bot
While high oil prices may be problematic for some trucking companies, &nbs [#permalink] 24 Jul 2018, 17:26

While high oil prices may be problematic for some trucking companies,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap