Last visit was: 23 Jul 2024, 11:07 It is currently 23 Jul 2024, 11:07
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 643318 [15]
Given Kudos: 86728
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 643318 [2]
Given Kudos: 86728
Send PM
General Discussion
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2326 [1]
Given Kudos: 114
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q169 V168

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 589 [1]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
Re: While the relative costs of concrete and steel are a predominant consi [#permalink]
Kudos
Correct Answer B

Sentence Exam on:
- SV Agreement
- Parallelism
- Intended meaning

Option A
While the relative costs of concrete and steel are a predominant consideration in the design of a skyscraper,
of no less importance to civil engineers is
the time needed to fabricate the structural elements
and
the distance of the project site from the production sites of the raw materials.
Wrong:
- SV Agreement

Option B
While the relative costs of concrete and steel are a predominant consideration in the design of a skyscraper,
of no less importance to civil engineers are
the time needed to fabricate the structural elements
and
the distance of the project site from the production sites of the raw materials.
Correct

Option C
of equal civil-engineering importance are
the time in which the structural elements are fabricated
and
Wrong:
- SV agreement
- Parallelsim Error
- Intended Meaning flaw

Option D
for a civil engineer, ............
of no less importance are how long it takes to fabricate the structural elements
and
Wrong:
- SV agreement
- Parallelsim Error
- Intended Meaning flaw

Option E
of equal importance to a civil engineer is
the amount of time needed for fabricating the structural elements
and
Wrong:
- SV agreement
- Parallelsim Error
- Intended Meaning flaw
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 271 [1]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: Leadership, Technology
Schools: Wharton '25
WE:Information Technology (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Re: While the relative costs of concrete and steel are a predominant consi [#permalink]
Kudos
A. of no less importance to civil engineers is the time needed to fabricate the structural elements
"civil engineers(plural) is(singular)" don't agree. Eliminate

B. of no less importance to civil engineers are the time needed to fabricate the structural elements
The problem in option A is fixed and there is no other flaws. Keep

C. of equal civil-engineering importance are the time in which the structural elements are fabricated
'importance(singular) are(plural)'don't agree. Eliminate

D. for a civil engineer, of no less importance are how long it takes to fabricate the structural elements
'importance(singular) are(plural)'don't agree. Eliminate

E. of equal importance to a civil engineer is the amount of time needed for fabricating the structural elements
'amount of time' amount is unnecessary and redundant in this choice. Eliminate

So B is the best answer choice.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
I got this answer wrong but from my understanding these are the following reasons why answer choice (B) is correct:

While the relative costs of concrete and steel are a predominant consideration in the design of a skyscraper, of no less importance to civil engineers is the time needed to fabricate the structural elements and the distance of the project site from the production sites of the raw materials.

of no less importance to civil engineers is the time needed to fabricate the structural elements
and the distance of the project site from the production sites of the raw materials
Here there are 2 subjects- Time and distance.
Considering this we need to use the plural verb 'are'.
X and Y are going shopping.
While the relative costs of concrete and steel are a predominant consideration in the design of a skyscraper, Time and distance are of no less importance to civil engineers.

A. of no less importance to civil engineers is the time needed to fabricate the structural elements - Eliminate as wrong verb 'is'

B. of no less importance to civil engineers are the time needed to fabricate the structural elements' - keep looks good.

C. of equal civil-engineering importance are the time in which the structural elements are fabricated- I've read through the other answers, but the first thing that came to mind was that civil engineering is kind of an adjective here and the noun is importance but importance to who? so it didn't really make sense to keep this as an option. (If anyone sees this, please let me know if this is even correct, thanks!) - Eliminate

D. for a civil engineer, of no less importance are how long it takes to fabricate the structural elements- does not seem correct because it would make more sense to use the words 'to' in this sentence to indicate purpose than for. The goal is to design a skyscraper. (Again, it could be incorrect) Further, importance is singular noun so it should be followed by the verb 'is' and not 'and' -eliminate

E. of equal importance to a civil engineer is the amount of time needed for fabricating the structural elements - we don't need to use amount of time here. we can use the noun in its standard form as distance is in its standard noun form. - eliminate

Learnt quite a bit with this question!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 869 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6991 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
236 posts