Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:22 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
[#permalink]
When you tell your story, dont start with I want to do X and follow it by here's all the research I have done. If you do this, pepole will go "yeah right" just as mNeo did and to be honest I felt the same. When the ad-com reads u'r app, you are probably the 1000th person to talk about social entrepreneurship. For the ad-com to sit up right and take notice of you, I suggest you start with a personal story, intriguing nugget, an interesting stat or something similar that can be tied to your goal. Once you pique the interest of the ad-com, then guide the ad-com to reach the same conclusion as you did. That your post-MBA goal is where you need to be.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
A doubt not related to this discussion but related to the topic.

I want to do an MBA to shift my career, "probably" to finance. I am presently into Consulting for small and medium businesses and am involved in very interesting things and to a certain extent, not very conventional.

I am pretty sure that its not going to be easy for me to explain why I want to shift to finance coz I dont have anything to back it up. One may argue that "if you dont know how to explain why you like finance, are you sure you like it? " I don't have answers for that. I have read the day in a life and have spoken with quite a few in the finance field and I like what they do.

I can come up with really good reasons why I need to do an MBA which may not necessarily be what I may eventually do. Logically, it will be much more easier to come up with a compelling argument if I dont talk of career shift and talk about an extension in present career.

And hence this dilemma.

Do I speak the truth and come up with a not so compelling argument or lie but come up with an amazing argument to back my why MBA.

Please don't mis understand that I don't have direction. I am almost clear that I need to join Finance and have made helluva research on the various career paths etc. But it can't be explained "logically".

Anyone in the same boat. Am I the one who is stuck in this or is this a problem for many?

Any advises?

I guess for majority, explaining an interest in shifting to MC is much more easy than explaining a shift to Finance.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]

Originally posted by anita_083 on 04 Sep 2007, 07:43.
Last edited by anita_083 on 21 Apr 2008, 13:00, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
[#permalink]
A personal story is definitely a good starting point.
It shows that you have had experience with something similar, albeit on a smaller scale in life and that you want to go ahead with bigger ambitions.

The end goal is no biggie as long as you can justify it with some valid reasoning.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
@Anita

Yest I attended the Wharton info session at Delhi. This is what he had to tell about this. Not the same words, but more or less the same meaning.

"You have to be very careful. See, If you have been doing IT all along and you come and tell me, Hey! I want to be a VC at San Fracisco post MBA, it means you have not done your home work properly. Say, If you put it across like this. I am in IT and I love technology. I know its not going to be easy to be a VC in SF. But I would like to do this, this and this at Wharton and get into IB. I have already done these to make my profile look attractive to IB. Now once I shift to IB, I would do these to become a VC".

I guess you get the drift. This is nothing insightful or great. But the admissions director told this, which means it gives an idea as to how they look career shifts. Basically do you come across as someone who has done enough research on where you want to go and how you want Wharton to help you in that. Thats the focus point. And the same will apply to any B School.

Now, here, he tells, do a lot of research. But the confusion is when you have actually done a lot of research but still feel uncomfortable on how well I can make them believe that!

We are back at the same question. :)
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
[#permalink]
Absolutely GOLDEN comments, for almost anyone writing a goals essay. You MUST be able to link your future goals to your past, and show conviction and effort that you have put in the past to achieve these goals.

It is easy to show if you want to progress further in the same career path, but not so easy if you are switching to something new.

rpradeephere wrote:
@Anita

Yest I attended the Wharton info session at Delhi. This is what he had to tell about this. Not the same words, but more or less the same meaning.

"You have to be very careful. See, If you have been doing IT all along and you come and tell me, Hey! I want to be a VC at San Fracisco post MBA, it means you have not done your home work properly. Say, If you put it across like this. I am in IT and I love technology. I know its not going to be easy to be a VC in SF. But I would like to do this, this and this at Wharton and get into IB. I have already done these to make my profile look attractive to IB. Now once I shift to IB, I would do these to become a VC".

I guess you get the drift. This is nothing insightful or great. But the admissions director told this, which means it gives an idea as to how they look career shifts. Basically do you come across as someone who has done enough research on where you want to go and how you want Wharton to help you in that. Thats the focus point. And the same will apply to any B School.

Now, here, he tells, do a lot of research. But the confusion is when you have actually done a lot of research but still feel uncomfortable on how well I can make them believe that!

We are back at the same question. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am also a career-changer. However, unlike most posters here, it's not from one area of business to another, but a completely different career. My undergrad prepared me to go to graduate school to get certified to teach elementary school. For the past 7 years I've been working for lobbying organizations. I want to go into marketing.

In every book and article I read and podcast I listened to, it was mentioned that career changers really have to show that they have a clear idea of what the new career entails. So, for my essay I pulled out aspects of my undergrad, jobs, and especially extra-curricular activities that related (directly and indirectly) to marketing. I also did a lot of research (including informational interviews) into specifically what types of companies I would like to work for and what types of marketing I want to do. I tried to show that between the little tastes of marketing work I've gotten and the research I've done into the industry, I know that I am very excited about it and feel that it's right for me.

I'm sure that if you write about what it is about social entrepreneurship or VC that excites you and how you came to be interested in that field and that you've done your research and know what you'll be getting into, you'll be fine. Bonus points if you can find instances in your work or other activities that relate at all to the new career.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]