GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Dec 2018, 19:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Happy Christmas 20% Sale! Math Revolution All-In-One Products!

December 20, 2018

December 20, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

This is the most inexpensive and attractive price in the market. Get the course now!
  • Key Strategies to Master GMAT SC

December 22, 2018

December 22, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Attend this webinar to learn how to leverage Meaning and Logic to solve the most challenging Sentence Correction Questions.

Within the earth's core, which is iron, pressure increases with depth

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Within the earth's core, which is iron, pressure increases with depth  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 10 Sep 2018, 05:41
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

84% (01:33) correct 16% (01:33) wrong based on 1339 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review 2016
Practice Question
Question No.:28
Page: 129
Difficulty:

Which of the following most logically completes the argument below?

Within the earth's core, which is iron, pressure increases with depth. Because the temperature at which iron melts increases with pressure, the inner core is solid and the outer core is molten. Physicists can determine the melting temperature of iron at any given pressure and the pressure for any given depth in the earth. Therefore, the actual temperature at the boundary of the earth's outer and inner cores—the melting temperature of iron there—can be determined, since_______.

(A) the depth beneath the earth's surface of the boundary between the outer and inner cores is known
(B) some of the heat from the earth's core flows to the surface of the earth
(C) pressures within the earth's outer core are much greater than pressures above the outer core
(D) nowhere in the earth's core can the temperature be measured directly
(E) the temperatures within the earth's inner core are higher than in the outer core

Originally posted by nycgirl212 on 30 May 2016, 08:24.
Last edited by hazelnut on 10 Sep 2018, 05:41, edited 3 times in total.
Most Helpful Community Reply
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V26
GMAT 2: 590 Q49 V21
GPA: 2.8
WE: Other (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
Re: Within the earth's core, which is iron, pressure increases with depth  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2016, 08:47
This question is an Assumption type . If we keep P for pressure, T for melting temperature and D for depth from the surface, we have
Higher D --> Higher P,(1st line)
Higher P --> Higher T,( 1st line)
and they can determine P and T for any depth (D).

Think like this. If they knew exact temperature, they should know the pressure --> they should have knowledge on the depth. So there's your answer.

Give kudos if you find the explanation useful.
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.8
WE: Operations (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Within the earth's core, which is iron, pressure increases with depth  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2016, 09:01
Argument:- Within the earth's core, which is iron, pressure increases with depth. Because the temperature at which iron melts increases with pressure, the inner core is solid and the outer core is molten. Physicists can determine the melting temperature of iron at any given pressure and the pressure for any given depth in the earth. Therefore, the actual temperature at the boundary of the earth's outer and inner cores--the melting temperature of iron there--can be determined, since_______.

The correct answer choice is "A" and my explanation as follows:

Option A states "a) the depth beneath the earth's surface of the boundary between the outer and inner cores is known"
The highlighted portion above in the argument states that for a "given" pressure / depth it is possible to determine temperature therefore the assumption that would logically complete this argument is that either or both of these parameters are "given" or in other words "known".

Kudos if you think this explanation most logically completes the choice of answer :-)
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GMAT 2: 620 Q49 V27
WE: Marketing (Consumer Products)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2016, 08:20
Hi guys!

I have a question regarding the argument.
Context: Earth's core is iron.
1st premise: +Depth (D)-> +Pressure (P)
2nd premise: +P --> +Temperature (T) at which Iron melts
Based on this facts, the Intermediate Conclusion says that Earth's inner core is solid and the outer is molten.

However, according to the facts, the inner core should be molten and the outer one solid because D is higher in the inner core, so is P and T = inner core is molten and outer core might be solid.
I spend a lot of time trying to understand this apparent contradiction in this argument, in which the author takes only one position.

Is my understanding correct??

I appreciate your help in advance. Thanks.
Mannheim Thread Master
S
GMAT 1: 650 Q40 V39
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2017, 06:26
A is the correct choice - If physicists know the depth of the boundary between inner and outer cores, they can also determine the temperature at the boundary.

2017-2018 MBA Deadlines

Threadmaster for B-school Discussions
Class of 2019: Mannheim Business School
Class 0f 2020: HHL Leipzig

Intern
Intern
S

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2017, 00:26
nycgirl212 wrote:
Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review 2016
Practice Question
Question No.:28
Page: 129
Difficulty:

Which of the following most logically completes the argument below?

Within the earth's core, which is iron, pressure increases with depth. Because the temperature at which iron melts increases with pressure, the inner core is solid and the outer core is molten. Physicists can determine the melting temperature of iron at any given pressure and the pressure for any given depth in the earth. Therefore, the actual temperature at the boundary of the earth's outer and inner cores--the melting temperature of iron there--can be determined, since_______.

a) the depth beneath the earth's surface of the boundary between the outer and inner cores is known
b) some of the heat from the earth's core flows to the surface of the earth
c) pressures within the earth's outer core are much greater than pressures above the outer core
d) nowhere in the earth's core can the temperature be measured directly
e) the temperatures within the earth's inner core are higher than in the outer core

This is actually a straight forward unless you miss the last few words in option A. Knowing the depth will help us with figuring out the pressure, which is directly related to temp.

Option C, talks about the co-relation between pressure and outer core.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2018, 06:44
Rumikido3 wrote:
Hi guys!

Based on this facts, the Intermediate Conclusion says that Earth's inner core is solid and the outer is molten.

However, according to the facts, the inner core should be molten and the outer one solid because D is higher in the inner core, so is P and T = inner core is molten and outer core might be solid.
I spend a lot of time trying to understand this apparent contradiction in this argument, in which the author takes only one position.

Hi Rumikido,

You got me thinking for a minute and I had to reread the argument :-)

I have highlighted the glitch in your understanding. Please compare what you wrote to what is written in the argument (highlighted part)-

Within the earth's core, which is iron, pressure increases with depth. Because the temperature at which iron melts increases with pressure,the inner core is solid and the outer core is molten. Physicists can determine the melting temperature of iron at any given pressure and the pressure for any given depth in the earth. Therefore, the actual temperature at the boundary of the earth's outer and inner cores--the melting temperature of iron there--can be determined, since_______.

Can you see that they both are opposite?

Rest of the logic structure is beautifully written.

The logic shared by others in option A, hence, helps in supporting the conclusion.

I hope this helps.

Aiena.
Study Buddy Forum Moderator
D
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2018, 21:28
generis VeritasPrepKarishma GMATNinja

Quote:
c) pressures within the earth's inner core are much greater than pressures above the outer core

Could the re-framed version of (C) made it OA?

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

Manager
Manager
B
Schools: HBS '18
WE: Consulting (Other)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2018, 07:59
Rumikido3 wrote:
Hi guys!

Check this presentation. It will help explain it

https://prezi.com/j_hhbvcahu49/why-is-t ... re-liquid/

Migatte no Gokui

Director
Director
V
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2018, 19:49
The most important part in this question is to understand the question stem properly. Once you understand whats given then selecting the answer choice becomes straight forward.

Given:-
1) Pressure increases as we go inside the earths core.
2) Temperature increases when pressure increases.
3) Iron melts when temperature increases.

The last part of the question says,
"Physicists can determine:-
A) the melting temperature of iron at any given pressure" (same as 2 above)
B) the pressure for any given depth in the earth. (Same as 1 above)

Therefore, the actual temperature at the boundary of the earth's outer and inner cores--the melting temperature of iron there--can be determined, since_______."

Temp is related to pressure and pressure to depth. So the missing link which will connect the two is reproduced by option A in a straightforward way:-

a) the depth beneath the earth's surface of the boundary between the outer and inner cores is known - this will help the physicists in identifying the pressure!!

"Please hit :thumbup: +1 Kudos if you like this post" :student_man:

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me"

SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2018, 04:28
Premise:
Pressure within the earth's iron core increases with depth. Because the melting temperature of iron increases with pressure, the inner core is solid and the outer core molten. Physicists can determine iron's melting temperature at any pressure and the pressure it is under at any depth.

Pre-thinking:
What further premise, combined with the information provided, would support the conclusion that physicists can determine the temperature at the boundary between the outer and inner cores? Since physicists can determine iron's melting temperature at any pressure and the pressure it is under at any depth, they must be able to determine its melting temperature at any depth. The temperature at the boundary between the inner and outer cores must exactly equal the melting temperature there, since that is the boundary between the molten and solid parts of the core. To determine the temperature at the boundary, therefore, it would suffice to know the depth of the boundary.

A- Correct. If physicists know the depth of the boundary between the inner and outer cores, they can determine the temperature at the boundary.

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood

Director
Director
V
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2018, 22:10
Official Answer:-

Argument Construction

Situation: Pressure within the earth's iron core increases with depth. Because the melting temperature of iron increases with pressure, the inner core is solid and the outer core molten. Physicists can determine iron's melting temperature at any pressure and the pressure it is under at any depth.

Reasoning : What further premise, combined with the information provided, would support the conclusion that physicists can determine the temperature at the boundary between the outer and inner cores? Since physicists can determine iron's melting temperature at any pressure and the pressure it is under at any depth, they must be able to determine its melting temperature at any depth. The temperature at the boundary between the inner and outer cores must exactly equal the melting temperature there, since that is the boundary between the molten and solid parts of the core. To determine the temperature at the boundary, therefore, it would suffice to know the depth of the boundary.

Correct Answer is option A:
If physicists know the depth of the boundary between the inner and outer cores, they can determine the temperature at the boundary.

"Please hit :thumbup: +1 Kudos if you like this post" :student_man:

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me"

Director
Director
G
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Real Estate)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Within the earth's core, which is iron, pressure increases with depth  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2018, 09:27
The question can be solved if we look at it in an a mathematical way. If we know pressure we can find the temperature.

Temperature is a function of pressure. In other words, we can know the temperature given that we know the pressure. Say for example temperature is in an equation form such as Temperature = Pressure + 20 (1)

Pressure is a function of depth. In other words, we can know the pressure given that we know the depth. Say for example pressure is in an equation form

Pressure = Depth + 10 (2). If we know the value of depth, we can figure out the value of Pressure.

From (2) we can substitute in (1) to find the temperature.

Answer choice A
Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2018, 17:17
Bunuel,

Can this tagged to " Complete the Passage " Section
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2018, 20:53
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 490 Q39 V18
GMAT 2: 640 Q47 V30
GMAT 3: 670 Q50 V31
GMAT 4: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2018, 23:47
adkikani wrote:
generis VeritasPrepKarishma GMATNinja

Quote:
c) pressures within the earth's inner core are much greater than pressures above the outer core

Could the re-framed version of (C) made it OA?

Hey adkikani
When u read the argument carefully u will realize that we are looking for a reason as to why they will be able to know the temperature at the boundaries of inner and outer cores.

What if they do not know the depth at which the boundaries are? Then what is the use of being able to measure depth and pressure at any depth? If we dont know depth of boundaries then how will we even know their pressures and temperature?

So we need the statement A for the argument to hold true.
Also, to answer ur question, C wont become OA even if u modify it.

Hope it helps! :)
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Within the earth's core, which is iron, pressure increases with depth &nbs [#permalink] 03 Nov 2018, 23:47

Within the earth's core, which is iron, pressure increases with depth

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap