It is currently 22 Oct 2017, 23:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Without internet,how close can the GMATPrep s/ware b to the real exam?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 114

Concentration: International Business, Technology
GMAT 1: 620 Q39 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V40
WE: Sales (Computer Hardware)
Without internet,how close can the GMATPrep s/ware b to the real exam? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2015, 02:58
Hi all!

Last Tuesday I took a GMATPrep mock test and identified a RC question to be the same as that from the GMATPrep test I had taken on another PC with a different registered email 2-3 years ago. It is a well known fact that the GMATPrep software repeats the same questions in the two GMAT exam simulations (or mocks) that come free with it.

The GMATPrep software does not require internet to run or to conduct the GMAT exam simulations.

The real GMAT exam compares the test taker's performance on every question with that of other test-takers who have faced that question in the real GMAT exam during the past 3 years (or whatever this time period is) in order to assign the question (and thus the test-taker) a particular level that's relative to other questions assigned a level in the same way. This means that every question has a dynamically-changing level that depends on how it is answered by test-takers. For example, if we took question that the real GMAT exam treats as a 750-level question and posted it on GMATclub's homepage, the level would eventually drop as an increasing number of test takers will answer it correctly in the real exam. This is also why GMAC reserves the IP rights of all its questions and treats memorizing any question form the real GMAT exam as "cheating".

Now, assuming the GMATPrep software has a database of questions that have long been "released" by the GMAC with pre-designated levels that will never change (the GMATPrep software doesn't use the internet to stream questions and neither doe it seem to ask for updates to run), does the GMATPrep software's exam simulations (or mocks) really give a score reflective of the test-taker's actual performance on d-day ?

This makes me believe that estimating GMAT scores before taking the real exam is little more than mere speculation. :roll:

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 114

BSchool Thread Master

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 5

Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V38
GMAT 2: 700 Q44 V40
GMAT 3: 710 Q44 V42
GPA: 3.3
Re: Without internet,how close can the GMATPrep s/ware b to the real exam? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2015, 05:23
Yes, it doesn't matter, the total scores are to be consistent across years. The level shouldn't change. Two weeks before my GMAT I got a 700 on the Prep, the following week and 710, then on the official a 700.

Unless you have seen the questions before or are stopping between sections or otherwise cheating, the GMATPrep will be very close to test day. It's the best estimate you have, not merely speculation

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 5

VP
VP
D

Kudos [?]: 229 [0], given: 4

GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: 339 Q170 V169
Re: Without internet,how close can the GMATPrep s/ware b to the real exam? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2015, 23:01
nishantsharma87 wrote:
Last Tuesday I took a GMATPrep mock test and identified a RC question to be the same as that from the GMATPrep test I had taken on another PC with a different registered email 2-3 years ago. It is a well known fact that the GMATPrep software repeats the same questions in the two GMAT exam simulations (or mocks) that come free with it.

The GMATPrep software does not require internet to run or to conduct the GMAT exam simulations.

The real GMAT exam compares the test taker's performance on every question with that of other test-takers who have faced that question in the real GMAT exam during the past 3 years (or whatever this time period is) in order to assign the question (and thus the test-taker) a particular level that's relative to other questions assigned a level in the same way. This means that every question has a dynamically-changing level that depends on how it is answered by test-takers. For example, if we took question that the real GMAT exam treats as a 750-level question and posted it on GMATclub's homepage, the level would eventually drop as an increasing number of test takers will answer it correctly in the real exam. This is also why GMAC reserves the IP rights of all its questions and treats memorizing any question form the real GMAT exam as "cheating".

Now, assuming the GMATPrep software has a database of questions that have long been "released" by the GMAC with pre-designated levels that will never change (the GMATPrep software doesn't use the internet to stream questions and neither doe it seem to ask for updates to run), does the GMATPrep software's exam simulations (or mocks) really give a score reflective of the test-taker's actual performance on d-day ?

This makes me believe that estimating GMAT scores before taking the real exam is little more than mere speculation. :roll:
A few points:

1. Changing the email ID or reinstalling the software does not change the pool of questions. But unless you reset your tests or take them multiple times, you should not see repeat questions.
2. That 3 year comparison is not applicable to individual questions. It is used only when showing you the percentile associated with a particular scaled score. For example, a Q49 was 86% in 2010 (data from that "last 3 years" period), but it is now 78% (data from the current "last 3 years" period).
3. Item characteristics are not dynamic. They are "locked" once the question exits the experimental and quality control phases, and they stay locked unless a revaluation becomes necessary. The GMAT does not reevaluate each question in real time, though it does keep an eye on item exposure.
4. Just make sure that you don't expose yourself to GMATPrep questions before taking the GMATPrep tests. This is made more difficult by the fact that there are many non-official questions that are "similar" to GMATPrep questions.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2017, 04:24
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I have take my first practice test in GMAT Prep and suddenly my wifi connection got disconnected. I have finished my test and now it is showing no score after I have ended the test.
What can be the reason??

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

VP
VP
D

GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: 339 Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2017, 07:46
sirishtm wrote:
I have take my first practice test in GMAT Prep and suddenly my wifi connection got disconnected. I have finished my test and now it is showing no score after I have ended the test.
What can be the reason??
I haven't heard anything like this before. All the scoring on the current GMATPrep is done locally, so maybe it's a software glitch. Are you able to see the questions you attempted?

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 24

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2017, 07:39
AjiteshArun wrote:
sirishtm wrote:
What can be the reason??
I haven't heard anything like this before. All the scoring on the current GMATPrep is done locally, so maybe it's a software glitch. Are you able to see the questions you attempted?

Hi ,
I just had the same issue. I didnot have any issue with wifi. What is to be done?

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 24

Re: Without internet,how close can the GMATPrep s/ware b to the real exam?   [#permalink] 12 Aug 2017, 07:39

Without internet,how close can the GMATPrep s/ware b to the real exam?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HiLine

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap