It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 12:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

WP carey V/s University of Wisconsin Madison

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 3

WP carey V/s University of Wisconsin Madison [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2017, 16:15
Hello,

I currently live n Chicago and need some help. I got accepted into both W.P Carey and university of Wisconsin Madison (UWM) for their part-time MBA programs.
W.P. Carey -
- 15k cheaper than UWM
- 21 month program
- In my opinion, Phoenix has a bigger job market than Madison and is also way more diverse
- Also, there is an option to switch from part-time on campus to online MBA, if and when I need it. There is probably a 5% chance that I would switch but not sure at the moment.
- In my opinion just the way ASU is handling its business, its a an upcoming top school and also as per the rankings from US news and Poets & quoants, the rankings are going up every year.
- My opinion, better networking opportunities in ASU.
- Opportunity to earn dual degrees, MBA and masters

UWM -
- 15k expensive than WP carey
- 30 month program
- Close to Chicago - which I feel is a disadvantage because of the presence of Booth & Kellogs in Chicago. Your opinion, if its a valid point ?
- small town, 3rd biggest state but 40%-50% of people in Madison are students.
- close to home -- so thats good.
- Their ranking has been continuously dropping for consecutive years.
- less number of incoming students, so competing for jobs would be easier.
- program is not flexible in genreal and in comparison to wp carey.
- Dont know this for sure, but UWM doesnt give the let you earn dual degrees

I have to choose one and dont know which should be better.

I also applied to Fox just for the heck of it because its top 10 as per US news and close to Chicago and my app is still in progress. I am not able to find much information online of FOX, so any insights into Fox would be helpful as well.

I would appreciate any insights and thoughts and all the help.

Thanks

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 285 [1], given: 163

Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: WP carey V/s University of Wisconsin Madison [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2017, 03:11
This post received
KUDOS
Congrats for both schools

What is your background? What are you goals?

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
S

Kudos [?]: 238 [1], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2017, 16:29
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Would you be moving to Phoenix for the opportunity? The relocation costs alone may narrow that cost gap. It seems like Carey better aligns for the flexibility you are looking for in a school. Would you be ok living in Phoenix area or the southwest post-MBA? Carey's network like most schools is best in the immediate geographic area, so keep this in mind

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 238 [1], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2017, 17:10
Thanks for replying to my post. I have a background in Finance and have banking experience for over 4.5+ years and have some entrepreneurial experience before that banking job. I also have a new venture that I started 3 months ago and want to see where it goes, thats why the need for a little flexibility. I am looking for a career switch from Finance to marketing and get into brand management or Product development, thats my goal for getting a MBA as well.

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
G

Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2017, 17:19
This post received
KUDOS
muditsethi wrote:
Thanks for replying to my post. I have a background in Finance and have banking experience for over 4.5+ years and have some entrepreneurial experience before that banking job. I also have a new venture that I started 3 months ago and want to see where it goes, thats why the need for a little flexibility. I am looking for a career switch from Finance to marketing and get into brand management or Product development, thats my goal for getting a MBA as well.

I doubt the part time program is going to give you the transition that you dream of. I think the Full time will suit you more to move into market. Part time helps when you are career enhancer (staying in same field. Regardless of that, I believe Carey will be a good school for you.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2017, 17:44
VeritasPrepDozie wrote:
Would you be moving to Phoenix for the opportunity? The relocation costs alone may narrow that cost gap. It seems like Carey better aligns for the flexibility you are looking for in a school. Would you be ok living in Phoenix area or the southwest post-MBA? Carey's network like most schools is best in the immediate geographic area, so keep this in mind

Thanks for the reply, yes I am aware of the network thing but I am counting that Carey's efforts to make their image better will payoff in the next 5 years and land them in the top 10 or top 20. Relocation costs are going to be higher for Arizona but I feel its ok to pay a little bit for the flexibility. Also, I started a new venture in India 3 months ago which my team is aiming to launch in 2 months, so by any luck if this venture works I may have to go to India for a little bit and with Carey my MBA wont suffer because Carey gives an option to switch to online, if I have to.

Your thoughts ?

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2017, 17:53
Mo2men wrote:
muditsethi wrote:

I doubt the part time program is going to give you the transition that you dream of. I think the Full time will suit you more to move into market. Part time helps when you are career enhancer (staying in same field. Regardless of that, I believe Carey will be a good school for you.

Yes, I agree with you. I also got some marketing experience with my entrepreneurial experience and when I tried to apply for jobs to make a career switch. The feedback I got was that I dont have much after college experience of marketing too backup. Thats why I am going for a MBA; full-time is a big no, just because of the opportunity cost is too high plus more loans that comes with it.

Thanks

Re: WP carey V/s University of Wisconsin Madison   [#permalink] 16 Jul 2017, 17:53

WP carey V/s University of Wisconsin Madison

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: OasisGC

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap