GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Nov 2018, 08:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • All GMAT Club Tests are Free and open on November 22nd in celebration of Thanksgiving Day!

November 22, 2018

November 22, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Mark your calendars - All GMAT Club Tests are free and open November 22nd to celebrate Thanksgiving Day! Access will be available from 0:01 AM to 11:59 PM, Pacific Time (USA)
  • Free lesson on number properties

November 23, 2018

November 23, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.

Wrote the GMAT today and Score 560

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Wrote the GMAT today and Score 560  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2018, 05:43
:cry: :cry: :cry:
Wrote GMAT today and scored 560(Q44, V23). expected 650+
GMAT official mock 1- 630(Q47,V29)
GMAT official mock 2- 570(Q43,V25)

As English is non native language to me, I was very afraid of SC question since beginning, it was my weakest area in Verbal, and in the exam i was bombarded with SC questions since beginning.

I have been preparing since 3 months, and i am very sad to get this score. Now thinking to Write again at the end of November.

my questions to the expert:
1). Is it possible to reach 650+ by preparing one more month. if yes than how should i start?
2). Should i purchase ESR?
3). I accepted the score , should i cancel it? or is it ok to leave like this( score will be reported to schools i selected).
Orion Director of Academics
S
Re: Wrote the GMAT today and Score 560  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2018, 09:41
Hey aa008,

I'm sorry to hear that your test day didn't go as planned! Don't get discouraged - this sometimes does happen, and you can improve, but it's all a matter of making sure that you're preparing well. You did score in line with your last CAT, however, so it's probably a good idea to use the test you took today as a learning experience rather than a fluke. Here are a couple answers for the questions you asked:

1. While it's definitely possible to get there, a month is pushing it. Whether or not you'll get there is all about how you're studying (not necessarily how much). Right now you should be analyzing your ESR and your last two practice tests to see where your weaknesses lie and you should focus on those first. Your approach should be targeted -- focus on what you're weakest at in each section, then on what you're next weakest at, and so forth. A 560 generally indicates that you have some content gaps that need to be filled. For some more information on improving from in the 500s to in the 600s, check out this blog article we posted today about just that. (The title is technically "how to improve from a 500 to a 600, but the strategy is the same as you're striving to get to a 650)

2. You should definitely order your ESR. It'll give you an idea of where things went wrong on test day. It might not be as detailed as you wish it was, but it'll give you an idea of how you were doing for timing and where you need to focus your attentions for the next month.

3. You should keep your score. There's no guarantee that you'll hit your goal score next time, but if you do schools will only look at that highest score.

Laura
Academics Aficionado | ORION
GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2018, 09:49
Hi aa008,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day did no go as well as hoped. GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, your 2 CAT scores - along with your Official GMAT Score - show that you essentially performed the same each time (about 600 +/- a few points). You handle certain aspects of the GMAT consistently well, but you also make certain consistent mistakes (the differences in your Score could come down to just a few 'lucky' guesses on a few questions).

You might choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn't provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) Are these the only 2 CATs that you have taken? If there were others, then how did you score EACH of those CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
5) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

VP
VP
G

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2018, 09:52
aa008 wrote:
As English is non native language to me, I was very afraid of SC question since beginning

Hi aa008! Since you mention SC as your specific area of concern, thought I would mention that our sentence correction book Sentence Correction Nirvana is perhaps the only book that offers a score improvement guarantee, and is especially designed for non-native speakers.

After reading the book twice (yes! it's an academic book, and so must be read twice in all seriousness, to reinforce the concepts), you will start looking forward to solving SC questions!

The book is available on Flipkart and Amazon.in. You might want to refer to these sites, to also read testimonials of how readers have benefited.

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2018, 11:24
aa008 wrote:
:cry: :cry: :cry:
Wrote GMAT today and scored 560(Q44, V23). expected 650+
GMAT official mock 1- 630(Q47,V29)
GMAT official mock 2- 570(Q43,V25)

As English is non native language to me, I was very afraid of SC question since beginning, it was my weakest area in Verbal, and in the exam i was bombarded with SC questions since beginning.

I have been preparing since 3 months, and i am very sad to get this score. Now thinking to Write again at the end of November.

my questions to the expert:
1). Is it possible to reach 650+ by preparing one more month. if yes than how should i start?
2). Should i purchase ESR?
3). I accepted the score , should i cancel it? or is it ok to leave like this( score will be reported to schools i selected).

I'm afraid ESR won't be too helpful in your case. But yes, you will get some insights and if money is not a constraint then go ahead!
Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2018, 16:55
Hi aa008,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help.

So to answer questions 2 and 3, I would purchase the ESR and I’d also cancel your score since it’s 90 points below your score goal. If for some reason you need that score in the future, you can simplify reinstate it.

Now regarding question number 1, before answering i’d like to learn more about your situation with the GMAT. Once you respond to the questions already asked, I can provide some further advice.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Wrote the GMAT today and Score 560 &nbs [#permalink] 28 Oct 2018, 16:55

Wrote the GMAT today and Score 560

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap