Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:40 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V42
GPA: 3.75
WE:Other (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.64
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Re: Yale SOM 2012 - Calling All Applicants (Class of 2014) [#permalink]
Kudos
mdk250 wrote:
I just called the admissions office to try and schedule a campus visit and was told that they are booked through late March, pretty much up through the R2 decision notification date. She said that most of the bookings are for people visiting campus for their interviews.

If the school is booked through the decision date, I suppose they're not sending out any more interview invites?

I really wish schools would have mid decision dates. That way you know for sure if you have been called for an interview. Just seems very disorganized.
Considering that not many people on this forum applied to SOM (compared to Stanfored, HBS etc), I wouldn't be surprised if they are done with sending interview requests, seeing how it is a month after the R2 deadline.

Stats for R1 from GMAT Club - 22 people out of 61 applicants interviewed
Stats for R2 from GMAT Club - 8 people out of 53 applicants interviewed

I was hoping to see some more interview invites still going out, because there is still another month and a half before notification.

But, then again, who knows what is going on? Maybe they are just unable to entertain purely campus visits this close to the deadline and priority is reserved for interviews. SOM might not have the resources some of the other schools have to conduct tours etc! There is still a month and a half until the results notification and weird things have happened at other schools.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [2]
Given Kudos: 81
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.62
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
For those still waiting for R2 invites, in R1, we really did have invites that went all the way to a week before the notification deadline. But one thing you may want to do is just check your status once a week. I've noticed that Yale's e-mails get spammed by my mailserver more often than other schools, (after I got in, I never received their FinAid e-mail, though it went to everyone), so you may have inadvertently missed an invite. I was invited in the first week of invitations, but didn't know until they'd sent me a follow-up e-mail nearly a month later asking why I hadn't scheduled an interview. When I called them in a panic, they assured me that this actually happened to a good number of people, which is why they send individualized follow-ups. That said, I could have found out much sooner, (and saved a lot of angst), if I'd checked my status on the appsite (which said 'Invited'). I guess I didn't because I didn't want to be 'that guy', as it were.

Any rate - don't know if this will make anyone feel better, or just go crazy, but wanted to put it out there.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
OhDenny wrote:
For those still waiting for R2 invites, in R1, we really did have invites that went all the way to a week before the notification deadline. But one thing you may want to do is just check your status once a week. I've noticed that Yale's e-mails get spammed by my mailserver more often than other schools, (after I got in, I never received their FinAid e-mail, though it went to everyone), so you may have inadvertently missed an invite. I was invited in the first week of invitations, but didn't know until they'd sent me a follow-up e-mail nearly a month later asking why I hadn't scheduled an interview. When I called them in a panic, they assured me that this actually happened to a good number of people, which is why they send individualized follow-ups. That said, I could have found out much sooner, (and saved a lot of angst), if I'd checked my status on the appsite (which said 'Invited'). I guess I didn't because I didn't want to be 'that guy', as it were.

Any rate - don't know if this will make anyone feel better, or just go crazy, but wanted to put it out there.

At the risk of asking a obvious question, is it very clear on your application status page? I don't see an actual status for my application, just that they received my materials.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
sptsjunkie wrote:
At the risk of asking a obvious question, is it very clear on your application status page? I don't see an actual status for my application, just that they received my materials.

Totally reasonable question. It should appear under 'Recent Activity' as 'Interview Requested [DATE]'

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Send PM
yeah, if you haven't been requested an interview, you'll sadly have to bite your nails until the rejection letter. do they make you wait until the decision date to send the letter or will they be merciful and tell you some time after they review that you've been dinged?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Send PM
maroliv12 wrote:
yeah, if you haven't been requested an interview, you'll sadly have to bite your nails until the rejection letter. do they make you wait until the decision date to send the letter or will they be merciful and tell you some time after they review that you've been dinged?

Unfortunately, you have to wait until you get the letter.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Send PM
OhDenny wrote:
maroliv12 wrote:

No, I figured that but my questions was more...how long does it usually take them to send a rejection letter? Do they do them all on the last day? Or do they usually do it right after they review the app and decide they don't want to interview you?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
maroliv12 wrote:
OhDenny wrote:
maroliv12 wrote:

No, I figured that but my questions was more...how long does it usually take them to send a rejection letter? Do they do them all on the last day? Or do they usually do it right after they review the app and decide they don't want to interview you?

All the letters go out at once. They will call admits 2-3 days prior, but dings/WL only find out on the day of decision.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Schools: Yale - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Kudos
another interesting article....Chicago Man Rescues Yale Business School

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-02-1 ... xiety.html
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: Q168 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks for this great article. I think it really highlights the tension between Yale's current culture and identity, and the changes that Dean Snyder is making to essentially "climb the rankings" (which isn't necessarily bad in and of itself, as the article notes, as it does help attract good talent and resources). But as someone going into non-profit management, for whom Yale is basically the reason I'm applying to an MBA program at all, I would hate to see the fear come true that "to climb in the rankings, Yale SOM will reorient itself around the world of finance and Wall Street." Yale has the opportunity to NOT play to the mainstream, bottom-line-focused b-schools that have served as feeders into the finance world's widespread ethical bankruptcy, but instead pioneer a multifaceted and ethical management ethos for leaders of all fields (including finance). I think it has done a good job of doing this so far, and I also think that the "we don't want to be peg-holed as the 'nonprofit' b-school" refrains of late should at least be paired strongly with "but we think our current approach is the right one, because of (and not despite of) the fact that it is different from everyone else's."

It's interesting as well to read that a huge ruckus was caused in '88 when SOM turned from a govt/non-profit organizational management program into a "traditional business school." Hopefully this current turning point won't finally throw the spirit of SOM's roots into extinction. The note at the end that Yale will always continue to be a special place is optimistic, but I think even the note that the current leadership is trying to "turn the school into Wharton" is the wrong one that SOM should be sending if it wants to keep its unique appeal as a groundbreaker in holistic management education.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
msbroker wrote:
another interesting article....Chicago Man Rescues Yale Business School

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-02-1 ... xiety.html

Thanks for this! Good article.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Real Estate
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
Send PM
No invites today? Not lookin good!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
mbarealestate wrote:
No invites today? Not lookin good!

I'm not going to get nervous until Feb 22 (one month before the notification date).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools: Yale - Class of 2014
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Just had my interview yesterday in Los Angeles (invite was on 1/27), but I'm sure more are coming...

Each application is reviewed by two independent readers, either of which can request an interview. If that doesn't happen, it's still evaluated by the committee and an interview can be requested at that time as well.

So it can happen after the first read, second read, or AdCom review - making it likely that most apps still have opportunities to receive an invitation!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 85
GMAT 1: 730 Q44 V46
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.49
Send PM
Anyone go to the LA round 1 admits reception? How was it?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 750 Q46 V48
Send PM
Hi guys,

I just had my interview with an Alum in Beijing. The tone of the interview was professional but friendly. My interviewer was a Chinese national with a background in finance, so we did not have a great deal in common. That said, she was knowledgeable on a wide range of topics including trends in my industry which made for a good conversation. There were no strange questions, but I would say she did place a good deal of emphasis on my reasons for going to Yale and what I thought I would bring to the program. Overall, I felt very positively about the experience.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Quote:
I'm not going to get nervous until Feb 22 (one month before the notification date).

i'm getting nervous already. no interview invite yet from any school.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  21   22   23   24   25   26   27  ...  42   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts