Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:08 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Yale SOM (no $) vs UCLA Anderson ($$$)

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72881 [0]
Given Kudos: 18867
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Yale School of Management
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
Schools: Yale '16 (M)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Yale SOM (no $) vs UCLA Anderson ($$$) [#permalink]
8088 wrote:
Hey jfrshnnr

Congrats on your acceptance to two both exceptional programs!

I just wanted to help give some context with SOM's position on the West.

SOM's second largest concentration of Alums are actually in SF - after NYC-metro - in fact, I'm headed to Silicon Valley as are a bunch of my friends this year. We have a really strong presence in LA and Seattle as well. I'm happy to chat more about SOM/Yale presence on the West coast if you'd like.

Finally, I also faced a similar decision regarding scholarships and money - while money can be a significant decision point in the short-run, I think that the it's most important in the long-run at the overall trajectory of the school, the industries you're most interested in, and the networks that you'll have access to.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Dan SOM '16

jfrshnnr wrote:
super excited to be in at these awesome schools. they are very different culturally/geographically but also very similar in terms of rankings (?)
im not entirely sure what i want to do career-wise post mba and want to keep as many options open as possible
would going to SOM shut out any chances of moving out west later on? conversely, would going to anderson shut out any chances of moving to the east coast?
also SOM is very tight with their fin aid this year so the cost of attending would be about 4 times more than Anderson (taking into account their fin aid offer)

Thanks Dan. Do companies actively look to fill roles in the SF/LA area when they recruit at Yale?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hey There,

Sure thing! Short answer is holy smokes yes! If you're free - let's definitely chat on the phone - I'm happy to give you some more insight on this - shoot me a note and we can connect - daniel.kent[at]yale.edu

Dan

jfrshnnr wrote:
8088 wrote:
Hey jfrshnnr

Congrats on your acceptance to two both exceptional programs!

I just wanted to help give some context with SOM's position on the West.

SOM's second largest concentration of Alums are actually in SF - after NYC-metro - in fact, I'm headed to Silicon Valley as are a bunch of my friends this year. We have a really strong presence in LA and Seattle as well. I'm happy to chat more about SOM/Yale presence on the West coast if you'd like.

Finally, I also faced a similar decision regarding scholarships and money - while money can be a significant decision point in the short-run, I think that the it's most important in the long-run at the overall trajectory of the school, the industries you're most interested in, and the networks that you'll have access to.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Dan SOM '16

jfrshnnr wrote:
super excited to be in at these awesome schools. they are very different culturally/geographically but also very similar in terms of rankings (?)
im not entirely sure what i want to do career-wise post mba and want to keep as many options open as possible
would going to SOM shut out any chances of moving out west later on? conversely, would going to anderson shut out any chances of moving to the east coast?
also SOM is very tight with their fin aid this year so the cost of attending would be about 4 times more than Anderson (taking into account their fin aid offer)

Thanks Dan. Do companies actively look to fill roles in the SF/LA area when they recruit at Yale?
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
WE:Information Technology (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Yale SOM (no $) vs UCLA Anderson ($$$) [#permalink]
Since it's between Yale and Anderson and let's face it, they are nearly in the same bracket (despite Yale's ranking this year), such a large scholarship from Anderson would really sway me in its direction. Unless you have a strong preference for industry and where you want to be geographically, you really can't make a wrong choice. If it's not just about the money, then I would at least try to narrow down an industry or a location to make my decision. For instance anything to do with non-profit, Yale would be a no-brainer. Anything to do with tech, Anderson would be a no-brainer. I guess you see where I'm going with this.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks all. does anyone know if Yale will be willing to negotiate and put financial aid on the table?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hey jfrshnnr

My recollection is that SOM, as a rule, generally does not negotiate on merit scholarships/financial aid. This being said, it never hurts to ask - all they can say is "no." Do you have a contact to whom you can send an e-mail?

jfrshnnr wrote:
Thanks all. does anyone know if Yale will be willing to negotiate and put financial aid on the table?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks - yes i have a contact in the adcom. Will reach out and see anyway.

8088 wrote:
Hey jfrshnnr

My recollection is that SOM, as a rule, generally does not negotiate on merit scholarships/financial aid. This being said, it never hurts to ask - all they can say is "no." Do you have a contact to whom you can send an e-mail?

jfrshnnr wrote:
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Congratulations on your acceptances!!

You really can't go wrong either way but I'll put in my 2 cents based on when I faced this decision a few years back:

To answer your question, I personally feel that it's more difficult to move East from UCLA than it is to move West from Yale. How did I reach that conclusion? At both schools, I spoke with Admissions, the Career Offices (and placement stats), alums, and current students looking to make that move. From what I heard and saw Yale had much more reach with West Coast firms in terms of firms coming to campus to recruit and actively seeking out students (and vice versa) for summer internships and full time placements. This holds across industries -- tech, consulting, finance, media and entertainment, healthcare, etc. I'll caveat based on small sample size, but the people I know from UCLA who did the East Coast search all ended up staying in California for internship and full-time roles. Some moved East later but from what I've seen that's more of a long-term plan.

At the end of the day, you should figure out at a high level what you want to do immediately post-MBA. Presumably you wrote something in your application...has that changed? Stayed the same? Which school will put you in the best position to reach that goal -- and give you the option to explore other options while you're at it?

If you're looking to stay West Coast -- and potentially are already West Coast based -- UCLA will be a hard choice to turn down.

If this is about $$, as 8088 said, reach out to Yale to see if they'll match. You don't know if you don't ask.

One last thing .... look into fit. Attend the admitted student weekends for both schools if you can. Culturally they are pretty different schools IMO. I have been around both schools a lot over the years and they are not equal substitutes. See which school and their students is a place/are people you want to be around for the next 2 years -- and be apart of their network for a lifetime. I think it would be remiss to choose a school only based on career placement stats and not actually enjoy your time at the school itself.
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
Tough decision but as stated above by many you really need to know directionally where you prefer to be post grad and what your career goals are. Not sure how else you would make this decision. Independent of this I would say UCLA is probably considered the "better" MBA program so that is where I would lean but if your uncertainty remains prior to making a decision Yale is the better overall education brand and may allow you better national and global opportunities given your indecision
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Marketing
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
VeritasPrepDozie wrote:
Tough decision but as stated above by many you really need to know directionally where you prefer to be post grad and what your career goals are. Not sure how else you would make this decision. Independent of this I would say UCLA is probably considered the "better" MBA program so that is where I would lean but if your uncertainty remains prior to making a decision Yale is the better overall education brand and may allow you better national and global opportunities given your indecision

Can you please clarify what you mean by that? I thought Yale's MBA program was ranked significantly higher?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ekr546 wrote:
VeritasPrepDozie wrote:

Can you please clarify what you mean by that? I thought Yale's MBA program was ranked significantly higher?

Yes, in what regard exactly is Anderson's MBA "better"? Thank you!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts