Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:38 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q46 V48
GPA: 3.47
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Sustainability
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 610 Q33 V40
GMAT 2: 690 Q41 V42
GMAT 3: 740 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.55
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72857 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Is UCLA Anderson more regional than its peer schools? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
whitman wrote:
I noticed that UCLA Anderson places 76% of its graduates in California, with the remainder going to the rest of the west (7%), 6% to the northeast, 3% to the southwest, 3% to the midwest, .7% to the mid-atlantic, and .4% to the south. I was under the impression Fuqua, Darden, Stern, and Ross were its peer schools, but they all seem to place much more broadly across the US. Is this merely self-selection or a proxy for the value of the school and the reach of their brands? Or is it a combination - i.e. self-selection led to lack of brand recognition outside of California? Lay people/business people know Duke everywhere; does UCLA have the same recognition? It seems more akin to Texas after reviewing the employment report.

I am from the south and either want to work on the west coast or in the south and became concerned when I saw that only .4% of UCLA grads take work in the south. UVA Darden, by contrast, placed 20% in the mid-atlantic, 10% in the midwest, 25% in the northeast, 13% in the south, 9% in the southwest, 14% in the west, and 8% internationally.

Stanford is even worse! In 2015 it placed only 1% in the Midwest and less than 1% in the South.. It has clearly gone downhill.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 610 Q33 V40
GMAT 2: 690 Q41 V42
GMAT 3: 740 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.55
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
bb wrote:
whitman wrote:
I noticed that UCLA Anderson places 76% of its graduates in California, with the remainder going to the rest of the west (7%), 6% to the northeast, 3% to the southwest, 3% to the midwest, .7% to the mid-atlantic, and .4% to the south. I was under the impression Fuqua, Darden, Stern, and Ross were its peer schools, but they all seem to place much more broadly across the US. Is this merely self-selection or a proxy for the value of the school and the reach of their brands? Or is it a combination - i.e. self-selection led to lack of brand recognition outside of California? Lay people/business people know Duke everywhere; does UCLA have the same recognition? It seems more akin to Texas after reviewing the employment report.

I am from the south and either want to work on the west coast or in the south and became concerned when I saw that only .4% of UCLA grads take work in the south. UVA Darden, by contrast, placed 20% in the mid-atlantic, 10% in the midwest, 25% in the northeast, 13% in the south, 9% in the southwest, 14% in the west, and 8% internationally.

Stanford is even worse! In 2015 it placed only 1% in the Midwest and less than 1% in the South.. It has clearly gone downhill.

I moved out to the Bay Area 3 years ago. Gotta live here to understand why no one wants to leave. :-)
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72857 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I think part of it is that CA is a world's 8th largest economy. That's about the size/level of France and if you take into consideration the lifestyle, I can see why many don't want to move to Boston, Dallas or Chicago. It is an attractive place for many - those who like the relaxed feel of LA or the more professional but still relaxed Bay Area. Being a person who had to move away from CA after 8 years, it was not an easy decision (was not too hard either as I was tired of traffic and prices) but now Seattle is as congested and almost as expensive with crappy weather. I'd rather be in Socal or Bay area, frankly.

So... if by definition that means UCLA is a regional school - that's fine. It does have weaker reach/network in other parts of the country but really strong in LA and CA. In part, that is because there is a bit of stigma on the East Coast about taking any West Coast MBA program seriously (Stanford is the only one that gets a pass). You should be aware of that - it has been brought up to me before. But then Stanford is regional as well - over 50% of folks stay in CA. I do think it is often because people choose to live there rather than not being able to find opportunities elsewhere.

Welcome to the Hotel California :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.39
Send PM
Self selection is a huge part of it. As a current student, I can tell you that the reason we place less people outside of California is that people purposefully recruit in CA only and/or turn down opportunities in other cities.

If you want to work and build a network in southern CA, there is simply no better place to be. Come to California and you will see why nobody wants to leave!

For those who wish to work on the East Coast it can be done as every top company recruits on campus, but it simply requires a little more networking with your east coast alumni base.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
WE:Information Technology (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Agree with everyone here. It's just self-selection. I want to work in the Bay Area, which is why I'm even going to Anderson in the first place. When you think about top schools on the west coast, it comes down to Stanford, Haas and Anderson. There aren't a whole lot of options for people who want to live on the west coast, so they intentionally apply and choose to attend one of the three. Besides, you're going to be working for your family business so if you do return to the south, I presume you won't need the brand or the network or anything to get that job. I wouldn't overthink that part. If you want to be in California, then you need to come to terms with the fact that it won't be as well known as a regional school in the midwest to people from the midwest.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V38
Send PM
It's funny that this topic came up because I have been thinking about something similar in regards to Anderson. Is the relatively low percentage into consulting (one of my desired career paths) due to self-selection as well and students are just more drawn to tech, media and entertainment? Maybe JA21 can shed some light on this as a current student. Would really appreciate it. Thanks.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
mba2k14 wrote:
It's funny that this topic came up because I have been thinking about something similar in regards to Anderson. Is the relatively low percentage into consulting (one of my desired career paths) due to self-selection as well and students are just more drawn to tech, media and entertainment? Maybe JA21 can shed some light on this as a current student. Would really appreciate it. Thanks.

The West Coast schools - all of them do not place well into consulting... 15% for UCLA and Stanford. 20% for Haas.
I think not that many MBA-level consulting opportunities. A friend I had in LA who did work for Accenture, was assigned to an account in Mid West and spent 4 days of his life there or traveling there. (Not that Accenture is the consulting heaven but even for those guys, there was not enough local work). Consulting thrives on large inefficient businesses - not many of those in LA. There is Tech in Bay area and start ups - not traditional consulting clients. This is my theory with some backup sprinkled here and there. However, curious what students have to say from the actual recruiting trenches.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V42
GPA: 3.45
WE:Business Development (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
finalhourmba wrote:
bb wrote:
whitman wrote:

I moved out to the Bay Area 3 years ago. Gotta live here to understand why no one wants to leave. :-)

Ya I have to agree. If you have lived in SF or west LA then the idea of moving somewhere like Indianapolis or Atlanta by choice would seem pretty unfathomable. No offense to those cities in particular...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V42
WE:Management Consulting (Health Care)
Send PM
mba2k14 wrote:

The consulting recruitment at UCLA is up from 15% to 20%! I think tech is high because of the large number of tech companies here, plus consulting is lower as there are fewer consulting offices in California and even if not, there are a large number of intra company transfers saturating these offices already.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
Manager
Manager
Send PM
mba2k14 wrote:

Have you made a decision?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V38
Send PM
whitman wrote:
mba2k14 wrote:

Have you made a decision?

Not yet. Are you all in on Anderson?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Nope. Still deciding between there and Vandy. Toying with reapplying next year in Round 1, too. I haven't visited Anderson yet, so hopefully it will just feel right and I'll go.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archived UCLA Anderson Discussion
Hi there,
You've stumbled upon an old discussion from our UCLA Anderson Forum that's now outdated and has been archived. No more replies are possible here.
Interested in current discussions? Feel free to dive into our dedicated UCLA Anderson Forum for all fresh things related to the UCLA Anderson MBA program.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts