|All Reviews > Maria Wich-Vila > Maria Wich-Vila Reviews|
Joined: Oct 16, 2020
ApplicantLab is the perfect service for people who know they want to apply to school and want to guide themselves through the process.
The modules and website were very well laid-out, and helped me manage the application cycle super easily.
Maria offered more honest, helpful content than many other consultants my friends worked with. Most consultants would employ the Socratic method with their clients - it's helpful, but it doesn't always get you from A to B efficiently. ApplicantLab did do so.
The a la carte services (Sanity Check, Resume Reviews, Essay Reviews) were also great. I used them for my top 2 schools and did not regret it.
Joined: Mar 30, 2020
ApplicantLab is a great resource for those willing to put in the work independently, with some level of guidance given through instructional videos and comments. As someone who likes to work/study independently (I studied for the GMAT on my own) this service was just what I was looking for!
Maria is super passionate about this project and her students and goes above and beyond in answering any questions. Her videos are very informative and have all the information required for you to write a good essay and put your best foot forward.
ApplicantLab is also very affordable. I had friends who hired private consultants for 5x the price. I highly recommend ApplicantLab.
Joined: Apr 22, 2020
I first heard about ApplicantLab during DMAC (Diversity MBA Admissions Conference). Maria did a presentation and I was extremely impressed by 1) how much knowledge she had 2) 2) how she approached the MBA applications process 3) how straight to the point she was, yet also has the ability to be personal and relate to each one of us in some way or another. I took some time to think and even did a few free initial calls with admissions consultants such as Fortuna, but the price was just not up my alley given how much I spent on test tutoring and HBS CORe already and it felt way too "sales-y" to me. Also, there was no guarantee I'd get in so why would I pay upwards of 10K+?!?!?!?!
I decided to go with ApplicantLab and I am SO happy I did. There is a plethora of information on the tool and in particular, I utilized the platform for writing my essays and putting my story together. The platform helped me figure out how to approach my story/questions and really play my strengths, as well as mitigate weaknesses.
Maria is affordable and also the sweetest kindest woman! Go with ApplicantLab and you won't regret it. I even contacted her after I got in and she was so happy for me.
Joined: Mar 31, 2021
REVIEWER IDENTITY VERIFIED by school email address [?]
I cannot state enough how helpful this service is. ApplicantLab is easy-to-use, informative, logically organized, and sharp – all things that made the application process far less stressful and enigmatic.
Not only does the service help you easily organize your thoughts and formulate your "story" with conviction and clarity. Its prep for interviews and essays is unparalleled – a value-add that was critical for my application. I also found Maria's videos – which she tailors to specific MBA programs – to be extremely helpful. The candid, direct advice she shares is invaluable, particularly for any who are concerned about potential weaknesses in their application (e.g. lower GMAT, less work experience, etc.).
Joined: Jun 29, 2020
Truly wonderful prep, it helped me organize my thoughts for my application and nail my interviews. Its interview prep is unbeatable, the videos are easy to follow and the tips are super useful, even for the eventual job interviews.
After using the program I felt confident and ready for my interviews having polished my story and narrowed down the examples I wanted to use. Without it I would not have gotten the offers I am currently receiving. The team is also super helpful and always available. They go the extra mile for their clients. Anyone who is in the application process should use this program, you will not regret it.
Joined: Apr 10, 2018
680 Q48 V34
REVIEWER IDENTITY VERIFIED by score report [?]
Applicant Lab is an exhaustive online tool to prepare for your MBA applications and interviews as it covers all the major and minor aspects of the admission process in a step by step and well structed program. While the service does an outstanding job in assisting a user through each phase of writing recommendation letters, resume, essay, and interview component of the application, it also covers lesser discussed but important components such as how and when to connect with current students and alumni, perspectives of admission committee while evaluating an applicant and how to work things out accordingly, importance and ways to build digital brand, what is leadership and ways to bolster it, etc. It not only guides on what all to do but also suggests on how to do so. The other obvious implications of my review so far is that a user gets started in a right direction and saves plenty of time that would have been spent otherwise on self research, and thus making Applicant Lab worth its cost.
Joined: Jan 09, 2019
760 Q50 V44
It wouldn't be an understatement to say that Maria got me through the gruelling MBA application process.
ApplicantLab holds your hand through the ENTIRE process, from understanding what is required for every component of the application package, all the way to interview preparation. Since the website already explains what makes ApplicantLab different from traditional consultants, I'll focus on addressing a few concerns that I initially had, in an effort to dispel any skepticism that you might have:
- The speed and quality of Maria's support for one-off questions: I was initially worried that given the virtual nature of the platform, that if I had questions that were unanswered by the website content, I wouldn't be able to get answers as quickly as a traditional consultant. I can tell you from my experience that this should absolutely not concern you. Maria is extremely quick to respond (often in a few hours, always within at least 1-2 days) and the thoughtfulness and expertise behind her answers were incredible.
- How 'in-the-know' Maria is: It will soon become very clear that Maria is an absolute EXPERT in the space. She pulls incredible insights from her numerous previous clients, and also keeps up-to-date on the latest by attending admissions consulting conferences and speaking with adcoms of top schools.
- How current the website stays: Maria very quickly translates these latest insights into the website, so throughout the application process, the website stays extremely current. For example, when I was applying to CBS, within two days (!) of a new application question going live, the website had a FULL page of advice as to how to tackle the question. Amazing.
- Quality of the "story" and essay reviews: If you can afford it, I HIGHLY recommend for you to sign up for the 'strategic essay reviews', at least for your top schools. With Maria's advice, I ended up applying with a very different story than my initial draft. It would be an absolute mistake to think that just because this platform is lower-cost compared to admissions consultants, that the quality would be compromised. I was blown away by how Maria was able to assess the strength and weaknesses of my overall story
(the big picture), as well as advise me on very granular details such as word choices.
Overall, I couldn't recommend ApplicantLab enough, and I honestly feel so grateful that Maria founded ApplicantLab to level the playing field in higher education because I definitely could not have afforded to pay an admissions consultant USD 10K (I applied to 5 schools). I hope this helps, and best of luck with the journey! :)
Joined: Jan 05, 2021
REVIEWER IDENTITY VERIFIED by school email address [?]
I am a white female with 7+ years of professional experience and was only willing to leave my job for very specific programs, so going into the application process I knew this was my last shot. This pressure initially pointed me towards the standard MBA consultant. I physically could not stomach the insane price tags that came with that one-on-one help, but luckily a friend of mine alerted me to ApplicantLab. I can not recommend this platform enough!!! ApplicantLab provided easy to use, step-by-step instructions to help me clearly define why I wanted the MBA. During essay writing, ApplicantLab helped me break down the questions to understand what the schools were asking. The best part though was that in the end, the essays sounded like ME! I got to keep my authentic voice, and didn't feel like I was "cheating" the system, but was also sure that I was presenting myself in a way that showcased my strengths. The platform exceeded my expectations by far!
Joined: Aug 10, 2020
To whom it may concern,
Hello! I am writing a review on my experience using Applicant Lab.
- The advice is school-specific and helped me craft my answers to each school differently while still being easy to use.
- Goes through what the ADCOM themselves are thinking when they read your application
- Maria is hilarious! The way she intersperses humour in between the advice is really good and keeps things interesting.
- The Lab gives you in-depth analysis as to what your strengths and your weakness are and how to leverage and explain them respectively.
- It goes through interview prep as well.
- Basically, it is an all-in-one admissions prep! With specific advice for each school.
- On top of this Maria and Carin reply back very fast and their advice is very good and consistent with what's in the lab. This extra support was extremely beneficial to me as it helped me craft my application more specifically!
- For someone like me who's an athlete applying to B-School they really helped frame my stories and brings the best ones to the forefront. I did not see this elsewhere!
Overall I would give it a 10/10, 5 stars, and my full approval! It's affordable and a great resource to get a third person's view on your application to B- School!
Thank you so much Maria and Carin!
Joined: Aug 21, 2019
710 Q50 V36
I signed up for the Applicantlab services, not really sure what to expect. I researched multiple consulting services (the usual complimentary 30 minutes of 1:1 consulting) and prices were out of reach. Applicantlab seemed a safer bet in comparison and I am delighted with my choice. The resources are phenomenal, Maria walks you through each school and, believe me, EVERY POSSIBLE question you might have. The material is updated to include the latest application requirements and the detail level is amazing. The process is beautifully designed to let you efficiently brainstorm for your career vision, the resume, and organize your thoughts to draft your essay in a way that brings out the qualities every specific school looks for.
I also worked with Maria on my essay and interview prep. She's amazing and her advice is strong and honest!
I couldn't have hoped for a better outcome!