GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Nov 2018, 23:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • How to QUICKLY Solve GMAT Questions - GMAT Club Chat

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

The reward for signing up with the registration form and attending the chat is: 6 free examPAL quizzes to practice your new skills after the chat.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

06:00 PM EST

07:00 PM EST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

Posthumous publication of works is often problematic since the writer

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Marketing, Healthcare
GPA: 3.5
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
CAT Tests
Posthumous publication of works is often problematic since the writer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2018, 03:05
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

25% (01:19) correct 75% (02:01) wrong based on 194 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Posthumous publication of works is often problematic since the writer is not present to attest to some facts. The problem arises when writers forget to date the drafts of their manuscripts. Consequently, it becomes difficult for the editors handling their work to ensure that the latest version of the script is published. Therefore, to eliminate the problem, writers should not only date their scripts but also specify which previous version the new script replaces.

The editor’s argument is most vulnerable to the criticism that it

A.does not account for the fact that the problem may have been caused by unavoidable issues rather than carelessness.
B. tries to address the symptoms rather than the actual cause of the problem.
C. does not fully consider the scope of the problem.
D. does not consider a scenario in which the suggestion could further compound the problem at hand.
E. suggests a solution that is irrelevant to the problem.

Not Giving UP! Kudos if you like the question :)

Manager
Manager
B
Re: Posthumous publication of works is often problematic since the writer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2018, 04:53
Cbirole wrote:
Posthumous publication of works is often problematic since the writer is not present to attest to some facts. The problem arises when writers forget to date the drafts of their manuscripts. Consequently, it becomes difficult for the editors handling their work to ensure that the latest version of the script is published. Therefore, to eliminate the problem, writers should not only date their scripts but also specify which previous version the new script replaces.

A.does not account for the fact that the problem may have been caused by unavoidable issues rather than carelessness.
D. does not consider a scenario in which the suggestion could further compound the problem at hand.

Argument ->
Problem: Editors find it difficult to publish the latest works of writers because the works are not dated.
Solution: Writers should provide dates, and mention which previous version of the manuscripts this script replaces.

One possible flaw: Even if the writer provides the date, the editor could not be 100% sure, if it were the latest script. It could be a case that there were 3 scripts, namely, A, B and C (in chronological order), and only two (A and B) were found with date and previous version information. According to this argument, the editor would incorrectly deduce that B is the latest script.

Options:
A. Out of scope/irrelevant
B. no symptoms, out of scope/irrelevant
C. yes, missed out on one situation.
D. yes, did not consider a scenario, keep for further deliberation
E. The solution is certainly relevant. Incorrect

Now, between C and D, D mentions that it further aggravates the problem, for which we have no basis in the the argument. Hence, C.

Please correct me if my understanding is incorrect.
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Marketing, Healthcare
GPA: 3.5
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
CAT Tests
Re: Posthumous publication of works is often problematic since the writer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2018, 05:00
thinkTheta wrote:
Cbirole wrote:

Argument ->
Problem: Editors find it difficult to publish the latest works of writers because the works are not dated.
Solution: Writers should provide dates, and mention which previous version of the manuscripts this script replaces.

One possible flaw: Even if the writer provides the date, the editor could not be 100% sure, if it were the latest script. It could be a case that there were 3 scripts, namely, A, B and C (in chronological order), and only two (A and B) were found with date and previous version information. According to this argument, the editor would incorrectly deduce that B is the latest script.

Options:

Now, between C and D, D mentions that it further aggravates the problem, for which we have no basis in the the argument. Hence, C.

That's really great explanation and exact deduction of argument I was looking for

Not Giving UP! Kudos if you like the question :)

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2018, 11:29
thinkTheta wrote:
Cbirole wrote:

Argument ->

Options:

But the question stimulus specifically say's that "but also specify which previous version the new script replaces", So there is a way for writers to know which work is the latest version. Problem arises when the writer finds himself/herself in a situation where there is no way to conclude that the which version is latest. Which option D inferes.

Please correct me if i am wrong
ISB, NUS, NTU Moderator
G
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2018, 21:27
thinkTheta wrote:

Argument ->

Hi thinkTheta

I got this question wrong.
Can you please elaborate more on your deduction of flaw ?
The part in red in the question argument, mentions that the author i=should mention the date and which previous version the new script replaces. I assumed that author has suggested to do this for ALL of the scripts. How did you deduce that out of A, B and C. C might be missed ?

~R.
If my post was of any help to you, You can thank me in the form of Kudos!!

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2018, 01:39
GmatDaddy wrote:
thinkTheta wrote:

Argument ->

Hi thinkTheta

I got this question wrong.
Can you please elaborate more on your deduction of flaw ?
The part in red in the question argument, mentions that the author i=should mention the date and which previous version the new script replaces. I assumed that author has suggested to do this for ALL of the scripts. How did you deduce that out of A, B and C. C might be missed ?

The red part is actually the problem. It is sort of a sweeping conclusion, i.e. one that is based on an unrepresentative sample. For instance, consider 2 chocolate brands, namely A and B, one is milk chocolate and the other is dark chocolate. Now by tasting one, you could tell which chocolate is milk and which is dark.

Next, we add one more chocolate C (either milk or dark), and now you can not conclusively tell which chocolate is milk and which is dark.

Coming back to the question, consider chocolates as manuscripts, and dates+version as flavors. If we definitely know that we have only two manuscripts, then this will work. But, if we do not know how many manuscripts are there you would not be able to definitely tell. Did this answer your question?
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2018, 01:41
suelahmed wrote:
thinkTheta wrote:
Cbirole wrote:

Argument ->

Options:

But the question stimulus specifically say's that "but also specify which previous version the new script replaces", So there is a way for writers to know which work is the latest version. Problem arises when the writer finds himself/herself in a situation where there is no way to conclude that the which version is latest. Which option D inferes.

Please correct me if i am wrong

For instance, consider 2 chocolate brands, namely A and B, one is milk chocolate and the other is dark chocolate. Now by tasting one, you could tell which chocolate is milk and which is dark.

Next, we add one more chocolate C (either milk or dark), and now you can not conclusively tell which chocolate is milk and which is dark.

Coming back to the question, consider chocolates as manuscripts, and dates+version as flavors. If we definitely know that we have only two manuscripts, then this will work. But, if we do not know how many manuscripts are there you would not be able to definitely tell. Did this answer your question?

Regarding option D, how did that further compound the problem? He had now way before and no way now. At square one at all time.

Please counter if this doesn't seem correct.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2018, 02:14
Why Option C is correct?
Since the argument specifically mentions that the writers need to give dates to the each version of the manuscripts.so if the writer gives a date to each version of the manuscripts the publishers can sort out the
the versions and published the latest one?

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2018, 02:18
Srija221 wrote:
Why Option C is correct?
Since the argument specifically mentions that the writers need to give dates to the each version of the manuscripts.so if the writer gives a date to each version of the manuscripts the publishers can sort out the
the versions and published the latest one?

Posted from my mobile device

Correct, you can sort all the manuscripts, only if you have all the manuscripts. In case you do not have all the manuscripts (latest one missing), you will incorrectly deduce that one among the manuscripts that you have is the latest.

Hope it is clear.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
ISB, NUS, NTU Moderator
G
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2018, 02:30
Cbirole wrote:

nightblade354
Can you please help here.

~R.
If my post was of any help to you, You can thank me in the form of Kudos!!

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2018, 05:06
My 2 cents. 1st ever comment. Long live the Club.

I chose A. Thought the writer may have died while writing.. So lame.

OA - C appears to be correct.

Relevant Premise: The problem arises when writers forget to date the drafts of their manuscripts.

Conclusion: Therefore, to eliminate the problem, writers should not only date their scripts but also specify which previous version the new script replaces.

Scope of the problem that the conclusion completely misses: The writers FORGET.

Conclusion, to be correct, must have a solution for the strengthening the memory of the writers, so that they eventually don't forget to date the drafts.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Posthumous publication of works is often problematic since the writer &nbs [#permalink] 14 Sep 2018, 05:06

Posthumous publication of works is often problematic since the writer

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap