GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Nov 2018, 14:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

November 15, 2018

November 15, 2018

10:00 PM MST

11:00 PM MST

EMPOWERgmat is giving away the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Nov. 17, 7 AM PST. Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.

10.16 First time GMAT and got 680 (V32 Q51) because too nervous

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 680 Q51 V32
GPA: 2.98
CAT Tests
10.16 First time GMAT and got 680 (V32 Q51) because too nervous  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2018, 04:22
Yeah as the title stated. I just walked out of the test center and I'm feeling super bummed ?

Everything from my mock test setup was exactly the same as the real one. Timing, break and the order of the subjects (V-Q-IR-AWA). But I... Tanked ? My mock tests results (from GMATprep & Manhattan) have been consistently around 720-780. So I was pretty upset about the score I got on the real GMAT.

I was really nervous before the exam, to the point at which I almost want to throw up. So when the exam started, I really couldn't think and it took me over 25 minutes to finish the first 10 questions on Verbal. You can probably imagine what happened afterward, I was short on time and got even more nervous and just couldn't focus until I finished the verbal section and took a break. I had some tea to calm myself down and it definitely worked. I felt confident again when I went back to take the Quant, knowing that I'm gonna kill it and I did.

I expected at least 750 on my real exam because that was about the average of my all mock tests. Anyway, I canceled my score.

What I learned today is that do not take your weakest section first, especially when it's your first time taking the GMAT real exam. You're gonna get wayyyyyy too nervous just as I did, and that's not good ?? Next time, I'll definitely take Quant first because I'm super confident. Additionally, for me, Quant is more passive as I already all the formulas, I just need to find the one, do some calculations and BOOM! Answer. Verbal is more active, I know certain rules of SC and CR, but there's always exceptions and no way of knowing the correct answer until I've organized the questions.

Things learned today.

1.Section order is important. The first one you take should be the section that you're confident because you'll be nervous and will need to take more time to settle in and get yourself ready for the test. Personally, after this experience, I think the best timing to take the weakest area would be the middle. The weakest one at second, after you have familiarized yourself with the setting at the test center and calm down and before you have exhausted yourself. The third one should be IR and AWA because you'll probably be mentally tired by the time already.

2. Stick with pacing and timing strategies. KNOW WHEN TO LET A QUESTION GO! Because, even if you get the one right, it might cost you three questions later from the short of time. The timing strategy I used is the one recommended by MGMAT (Questions finished: 8/15/25 Quant timing left: 50/30/10 Verbal timing left:50/35/20) not sticking with the timing was my biggest mistake. I am weak in verbal section already and the short timing completely destroys me.

3. Do use the break time. Relax, do some deep breathes, drink some water, go pee pee. Remember that after the break time is a brand new section and even if you did badly in the previous section, it won't affect your next section. So calm down and get ready for the next one.

4. Check the pen provided by the test center. Swirl the pen to make sure that the ink will come up at all angles. My pens only work at certain angles, although I managed to figure out how to make them work, it annoyed me a bit.

Since I canceled my score at the test center so I don't have proof of score. I guess you're just gonna have to trust me...

I hope my experience could help you guys and I still can't believe that I blow up $250 for nothing. Anyway, I am gonna go relax for the night and schedule another exam soon. I will come back after I finish my next exam and share more information with you guys.

Best of luck.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: 10.16 First time GMAT and got 680 (V32 Q51) because too nervous  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2018, 15:40
Hi yuenhsu,

First off, a 680/Q51 is a strong score (it's right around the 85th percentile overall), so it could be enough to get you into your first-choice School. As such, a retest might not be necessary. From what you described, you could potentially score higher on the GMAT - and there's certainly no harm in retesting - but again, it might not be necessary. Depending on the Schools that you plan to apply to, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

http://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admission ... tants-124/

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 680 Q51 V32
GPA: 2.98
CAT Tests
Re: 10.16 First time GMAT and got 680 (V32 Q51) because too nervous  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2018, 18:42
Hi EMPOWERgmatRichC

Thanks for the reply. After I talked with some other GMATers, I did start to realise that 680 is not as bad as I thought. But my GPA is only 2.9 so I really need a higher GMAT to compensate the low GPA. Additionally, I figured that it's quite competitive for Asian students, so I also want to stand out a bit with higher GMAT.

Thank you for the information about the admission, I will definitely take a look.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2018, 21:01
Hi yuenhsu,

There are other ways to 'counter' a low GPA besides a higher GMAT Score, but since you're focused on the GMAT right now, we should stick to that subject. Considering the drop in your Verbal Scaled Score on Test Day, you might choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn't provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Director
Director
P
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2018, 08:40
Hi yuenhsu

Congrats on that Q51, that is such an impressive score. Sorry about the Verbal though. I hope you are taking the second attempt asap, would love to read your retake debrief with your dream score!

All the best!!

Cheers,
GyM

New to GMAT Club - https://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-gmat-club-need-help-271131.html#p2098335

Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2018, 17:11
Hi yuenhsu,

Thank you for sharing your story. I agree that 680 (with a Q51) is anything but a terrible GMAT score. Also, given how nervous you were, it is not shocking that your test-day score was lower than your practice exam scores. That being said, I’m happy you plan to relax a bit and retake your GMAT. With the right mindset, I believe you can really dominate on test day. If you need any advice about things moving forward, feel free to reach out.

Good luck!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2018, 22:52
Hi

You have a great potential for an awesome GMAT score. Don't let nervousness be an obstacle. Though choosing Quant first will definitely help you, some meditation and Yoga can work wonders on your temperament. I take GMAT classes, and have been helping students regarding the same. Let me know if you wish any help on that regard. You can also go through my post https://gmatclub.com/forum/scoring-750- ... 76872.html.

Best of luck for the next attempt!

Regards
Mohit
GMAT Club Bot
Re: 10.16 First time GMAT and got 680 (V32 Q51) because too nervous &nbs [#permalink] 18 Oct 2018, 22:52

10.16 First time GMAT and got 680 (V32 Q51) because too nervous

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, bb, EMPOWERgmatRichC

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap