Last visit was: 15 May 2024, 09:12 It is currently 15 May 2024, 09:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [2]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51506 [9]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51506 [5]
Send PM
Re: 10 questions for distinguished GMATClub 2012-13 admits! [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply

mappleby

- Air Force, Top secret clearance and Matriculating at Columbia! The 2013 GMAT Club folks sure are intimidating!!

mappleby was kind enough to pose for us!

You have probably the most illustrative and a little bit scary resume I have ever seen. TOP SECRET Clearance. WHOA! Can you tell us about how did you plan about getting an MBA?

Sure. My path was somewhat unusual although there are more and more military applicants these days. I did ROTC in college and went into the Air Force as an officer but while in school I discovered I really had a passion for finance and investing in particular. I knew starting my time in the military I wasn't going to be a 20 year career person and that an MBA would eventually be my best route into a new career. I started researching MBA programs and transition from the military and found that the earlier the better. So while I was enjoying my job I decided to apply to MBA programs as soon as my commitment was over, which put me at 4 years work experience. Seemed perfect for most top programs. Unfortunately I was somewhat naive about the application process and just how competitive it would be, and got 4 dings to show for it.

So you decided to crush the re-applications?
Yeah. I went 0/4 applying for the fall 2012 class. Dinged without interview from Harvard, Wharton, Columbia. And waitlisted at Kellogg.

What went wrong and how did you set it right this year? Though if I were the admissions guy I would take you in just with the first line of your resume!

I had a few things wrong, I broke the supposedly magic 700 figure on the GMAT but at exactly a 700 I was still below the median at the schools I was applying to and I have a 3.03 GPA from my undergrad which is well below average. I can't change my GPA but I could change my GMAT, so I took the Kaplan online class to help me prep and brought my score up to a 750. I think that helped make up for my poor GPA (I suspect being an engineering undergrad degree I also got more leeway on the GPA from admissions teams). The second part were my essays. Looking back they weren't terrible but they weren't amazing either. I decided to enlist the help of a consultant to try and get that extra polish on my essays. I used MilitaryToBusiness, a group specifically catering to military applicants, and found them incredibly helpful. They were able to better translate some of the military jargon to business language and make the essays more readable and professional.

You also went to a top engineering college so its safe to say that the admissions team was foolish :P
Right after engineering you went into NSA ish work... How was the experience?

It was very interesting work. All of my experience so far has been tied to the space industry in some way. My first job was working on command and control systems for the Air Force's space operations center and my current job is working on a space tracking radar that the Air Force owns and operates out of the arctic circle in Norway. I have had the opportunity to work on some amazing projects and getting to see what we manage to do in space every day is pretty humbling. I will certainly miss that when I leave the military. However I won't miss the endless bureaucracy, overpriced contracts and some of the other negatives that come with government work!

Very top gun :D You have spent considerable time on international waters. Is that a top secret project or can you share?

I seem to have spent my whole life bouncing around internationally. Growing up I lived in England for 7 years, during high school I spent a summer working in Santiago, Chile and in college I did a study abroad semester in Shanghai, China. Then in the Air Force they sent me on numerous occasions to a small town 500 miles north of the Arctic Circle in Norway. I think that is probably my most unique foreign destination. For 2 months in the summer the sun never sets and for 2 months in the winter the sun never comes up. The Air Force owns a radar there for tracking satellites. We maintain it and the Norwegian government operates it. It's a great location for tracking satellites over the North Pole and certain longitudes that are otherwise hard to see. It's not such a great location to make repairs to a giant radar dish in February though. Something about -20 degrees with sustained 50-60mph winds that don't make for a fun work environment. We had a rental car literally blow over a cliff even though it was left in gear with the parking brake on!

WOW. Quite an experience. You have had quite a spectacular time and I am sure the hardships made you a cooler person in the broader perspective. Lets get down to US. Why Columbia and why the other schools that you applied to? (HSW)

I started off with what I want to do when I graduate and how can I get there. My interest has been in the stock market and investing so my goal is buy-side finance, looking at investment management/equity research/hedge funds. My first application cycle I felt that Wharton and Columbia were my top choices, followed by Harvard. Harvard is a great school but being an engineering undergrad and no finance work experience I felt that a program more strongly focused and known for finance would help me the best. I didn't apply to Booth because I heard bad things about the feel of the school and didn't have time to visit to see for myself. This will sound strange but Kellogg was kind of my safety school. It doesn't place strongly into the type of careers I want but it is still a top school and I have some strong family connections there. It was enough to get me on the waitlist but not into school, which turned out to be a blessing in disguise. When I re-applied I went Early Decision with Columbia because I knew it would boost my chances and I think the program and location are too good to turn down. I'm going to need to network like crazy in school and being in Manhattan will make that much easier. I also applied to Booth Rd1 because after visiting the school myself and talking to the military group I actually really liked the school and the people. However I got my acceptance from CBS shortly before my interview invite to Booth. I withdrew after the interview invite since I knew that I would attend Columbia.

Off topic: Whats your take on Julian Assange? Is it true that he has a secret profile on GMAT Club and he spammed your inbox incessantly for information?

So that's who that was. He just kept rambling about how he got into both Harvard and Stanford but turned them down because they didn't offer enough fellowships. Strange person. Yeah, fortunately haven't heard much from him lately. Hopefully it stays that way.

Any advice for the future mappleby?

: Don't forget that you can bounce back from failure. I learned a lot from getting so many rejections and being able to come back a year later and get into my top choice school. I know that I have an uphill battle ahead of me for my career aspirations. I just want to remember 2 years from now when I'm potentially still in recruiting while many others have job offers that perseverance does pay off in the end. Even if it is painful in the process.
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51506 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
elbie is truly lady finance! After many failed attempts at persuasion Wharton had to stop stalking her and come fall she is going to-

CONGRATS on the decision at Booth!! Let's go there directly. Why Booth?

I got lucky and got into 5 amazing schools, but the decision for me really came down to Wharton, Kellogg, and Booth
Kellogg had been the school a year before that I thought I would most want to go to. I really liked the idea of the MMM program. But I visited Kellogg and Booth before I applied and was blown away by Booth. They were so friendly, down to earth, humble, and most uniquely, excited by what they were learning and doing

Interesting... You are a finance savvy person and Booth might just be a natural choice there.

yeah but I actually want to get away from finance and into general management which is why Booth was not at the top of my list until I visited and got a feel for the culture. Once I did, it completely felt right - a place where I could completely be myself and be surrounded by other people who are excited to learn and try new things. I know every school has that to an extent but Booth felt like they really embrace learning, which I really liked

I am sure! GMAT Club and Booth have a very long history with each other. I guess it started with "Rhyme" and later he passed the torch to cheetarah1980

Cheetarah was great, she talked to me for an hour on the phone while I was trying to make my decision

So you did your BS at UCB, didn't the Haas folks try to get you in? :P

I actually applied to Haas and Stanford 2 years ago and did not even get interviews

Interesting choice of schools. Haas and Stanford are all tech tech tech. And then you shifted to General management interests and therefore HBS, Kellogg, Wharton, Booth and Ross. VERY interesting pattern. What would you say that you did differently this time?

2 years ago I was limited in my applications to bay area schools - my husband is getting his phd at Stanford so I waited until we could move together to apply more broadly. This year though, I had much better recommenders. I was more experienced and knew more what schools were looking for,
and my company had just gone through being sold to a private equity firm - which gave me lots of opportunities to learn new things (and talk all about it in my essays) I think the biggest difference was the recommendations though. Getting people who will really be cheerleaders for you is critical... and making sure they know that people tend to inflate the recommendations a bit

I am sure. You have had an illustrative career really :) So you have an aspiration of changing your career completely. How did that reflect on your essays? Weren't you worried about your perception to the adcom?

Schools expect most people to be career switchers, so I was not too worried about it. Getting the message right and compelling though, I certainly worried about that. I ended up being pretty honest - I know finance will be great to have as a foundation for running a company, but I don't want to be a CFO. I want to be a CEO, and for that I believe I need to become more well-rounded. Both by business school and though my jobs after.

I agree, and CEO just sounds cooler too :D

Ha ha! You know it!

Yep. So if you had to look back, what would you say was the hardest part of the application process?

Hmmm.... probably all the stress and anxiety and self doubt and uncertainty that goes along with it. I did 7 applications in one round, and it was a lot of work, but I was organized about it so getting the essays done was not the worst part (though certainly a pain.) Not knowing if anything would come of it was the hardest part for me.

I think you also had one of the most interesting school selection so I am sure that wasn't easy too.

It always amazes me that wanting to do General Management (of the non-consulting variety) is such a small area of focus for students. That helped me, I focused on schools that were great at that, but also in cities where my husband could find a job - that ruled out a lot of schools. Narrowing down my list was very tough. As was preparing to expand it again in round 2 if necessary. I'm so thankful it didn't come to that.

Any advice for the future elbie?

Lol, apparently I should have been more confident in myself :) Confidence actually goes a long way in the applications I think - particularly in interviews. I find it so sad when people I know are awesome are afraid to believe that of themselves and to let it show.
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51506 [2]
Send PM
Kudos