GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Oct 2019, 05:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

100 Point Improvement In 1 Month

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
100 Point Improvement In 1 Month  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2019, 20:01
When I started on my GMAT journey, I was looking for the fabled 700+ score. I began working with Rich of EmpowerGMAT, and went through the entire EmpowerGMAT course. I learned some strategies, and saw some slight improvement in practice tests (my baseline score was 610). I got up to 660 in practice tests after a few months of dedicated study (at points up to 9 hrs. per day). After about 3-4 months, and having run through the EmpowerGMAT course, (and also at that point all of the ManhattanPrep books) I decided to go ahead and take the actual test. Much to my chagrin, I scored 610, basically right where had I landed on my very first practice test.

I was exceedingly embarrassed, to the point where I didn’t want to tell anyone about my score, and the few people I did tell told me to throw in the towel. All logic would have indicated that capitulation was the best option.

I took about a week off of studying, and then ended up browsing around a few different GMAT forums, looking for something, anything that would allow me to start moving in the right direction.

Enter Marty Murray.

I started talking to Marty after messaging him, and quickly I realized that something was very different about his approach. As down as I was at the time, our interactions reawakened some hope.

We started working, not just on strategies for answering GMAT questions, but also through the mental blocks I had that were actually preventing me from scoring at a higher level. After a few weeks of working together, I saw my practice test scores start to climb. As we continued to work, I felt my mind sort of "unlocking," and I felt my ability start to soar. Marty turned the GMAT into a game, and he turned it into a game that I could win.

Under Marty’s tutelage, I finally saw my first practice test score with a 7, a 700 on the dot. I told Marty that I had signed up to take the test about a week later.

When I got to the test center, I was incredibly nervous, to the point where I wanted to puke. However, I went through with it. During the test, I could have been thrown off course when I was pretty sure that I had missed the first question of the verbal section. All the same, I had in my mind something that Marty had told me. "To remain calm and score high, just focus on getting the correct answer to the question in front of you." To my disbelief, when I finished the test, I saw 710 pop up.

I had made more progress (100 points) in 1 month, than I thought was possible. Marty completely changed the way that I thought about the test, and also my beliefs in my ability.

I can’t thank Marty enough, and if you have any question as to where you should go to get the GMAT score that you desire, there is only one answer in my mind: Marty Murray.

Michael K. 710 Q45 V42
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Premium Member
Re: 100 Point Improvement In 1 Month  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2019, 20:21
Marty is very impressive with his verified 800 GMAT. I'm glad that his tutoring is able to impart some of his exceptional knowledge.

Please elaborate on your first exam. You got up to 660 in practice CATs. Was that a consistent 660?
Why do you feel you dropped 50 points on the actual day? What was the Q/V breakdown for that first test?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2019, 20:29
philipssonicare wrote:
Marty is very impressive with his verified 800 GMAT. I'm glad that his tutoring is able to impart some of his exceptional knowledge.

Please elaborate on your first exam. You got up to 660 in practice CATs. Was that a consistent 660?
Why do you feel you dropped 50 points on the actual day? What was the Q/V breakdown for that first test?

Hi,

Yes MM is the man.

It was not a consistent 660. It was one-time.

I'm not sure why I dropped 50 points on the actual test day (for the 1st test). I feel like my ability at that point was more reflective of what I scored on test day, as opposed to the practice test.

I don't remember the breakdown exactly...
Read Only User
Read Only User
G
GMAT 1: 490 Q47 V13
GPA: 2.86

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2019, 09:03
Michael22017 wrote:
When I started on my GMAT journey, I was looking for the fabled 700+ score. I began working with Rich of EmpowerGMAT, and went through the entire EmpowerGMAT course. I learned some strategies, and saw some slight improvement in practice tests (my baseline score was 610). I got up to 660 in practice tests after a few months of dedicated study (at points up to 9 hrs. per day). After about 3-4 months, and having run through the EmpowerGMAT course, (and also at that point all of the ManhattanPrep books) I decided to go ahead and take the actual test. Much to my chagrin, I scored 610, basically right where had I landed on my very first practice test.

I was exceedingly embarrassed, to the point where I didn’t want to tell anyone about my score, and the few people I did tell told me to throw in the towel. All logic would have indicated that capitulation was the best option.

I took about a week off of studying, and then ended up browsing around a few different GMAT forums, looking for something, anything that would allow me to start moving in the right direction.

Enter Marty Murray.

I started talking to Marty after messaging him, and quickly I realized that something was very different about his approach. As down as I was at the time, our interactions reawakened some hope.

We started working, not just on strategies for answering GMAT questions, but also through the mental blocks I had that were actually preventing me from scoring at a higher level. After a few weeks of working together, I saw my practice test scores start to climb. As we continued to work, I felt my mind sort of "unlocking," and I felt my ability start to soar. Marty turned the GMAT into a game, and he turned it into a game that I could win.

Under Marty’s tutelage, I finally saw my first practice test score with a 7, a 700 on the dot. I told Marty that I had signed up to take the test about a week later.

When I got to the test center, I was incredibly nervous, to the point where I wanted to puke. However, I went through with it. During the test, I could have been thrown off course when I was pretty sure that I had missed the first question of the verbal section. All the same, I had in my mind something that Marty had told me. "To remain calm and score high, just focus on getting the correct answer to the question in front of you." To my disbelief, when I finished the test, I saw 710 pop up.

I had made more progress (100 points) in 1 month, than I thought was possible. Marty completely changed the way that I thought about the test, and also my beliefs in my ability.

I can’t thank Marty enough, and if you have any question as to where you should go to get the GMAT score that you desire, there is only one answer in my mind: Marty Murray.

Michael K. 710 Q45 V42

Kudos to you Michael. Congratulations and well appreciated your efforts. Your hard work and dedicated efforts are giving motivation to me, where I am struggling in Verbal.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2019, 16:56
akurathi12 wrote:
Michael22017 wrote:

Enter Marty Murray.

Michael K. 710 Q45 V42

Kudos to you Michael. Congratulations and well appreciated your efforts. Your hard work and dedicated efforts are giving motivation to me, where I am struggling in Verbal.

Thank you!

If you are struggling in Verbal, then I would definitely contact Marty. His thought process with verbal is unique; he will help you see things that you don't, and there may be some easy points there.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: 100 Point Improvement In 1 Month   [#permalink] 24 Jan 2019, 16:56

100 Point Improvement In 1 Month

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics