Last visit was: 05 May 2024, 10:07 It is currently 05 May 2024, 10:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools:INSEAD Dec'10
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 723 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: INSEAD Jan 2010 intake [#permalink]
50000 Euros for tuition. I think Insead has gone nuts.
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V47
Send PM
aaron22197 wrote:
50000 Euros for tuition. I think Insead has gone nuts.

Although I agree 50k Euros is an insane amount, it is no different than what similar schools charge:
- IMD costs a little above 50k Euros (in CHF) split between tuition and "all program and project related fees"
- IE and ESADE are marginally below 50k; IESE is at 68k for two years
- Please please do not get me started on LBS.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
well, LBS, as it stands right now is about just a bit below 60k euros (45.5 k pounds), for the 2 years...
it doesnt seem that much
the cost of living in london is the main issue with the school
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V47
Send PM
I am going to visit the Fonty campus next month (em, November). Anybody else coming?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [3]
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Hm, seems I am the only one interested in INSEAD for that particular intake. Anyway, you can read below my impressions from the campus visit (copy-pasted from my blog):

My first impressions: Paris is huge and the locals are not nearly as rude and arrogant as expected. Of course they will not smile to filthy foreigners who dare to approach them in English, but are helpful enough to point the way to the ticket booth or whatever. Fontainebleau is only 40 minutes or so from the city, the INSEAD campus is sleek and modern enough for a top b-school. Now on to the presentation.

Quote Jake Cohen, dean of the MBA program: “INSEAD is a general management school”. Quote some entrepreneurship professor: “INSEAD is an entrepreneurship school”. Now that’s interesting - is it what the dean usually says, or is the school trying to re-position itself because of the recession?

The admissions people said very explicitly that they are looking for at least 75th percentile quant and 70th percentile verbal. The scaled score does not matter that much, only the percentiles on both section. Also, it was a bit surprising and reassuring for me to hear them say that AWA is not important. The word limits for the application essays are kinda soft, they are not looking at the exact number of words, unless it is way off.

I heard that they are rejecting many applicants with finance backgrounds. Of course they will never admit this, but accepted students who have access to some database have confirmed that there are far fewer bankers in the class that starts in Jan 09.

I expected to hear more about how the global crisis affects the graduating students and what can be done about it, but we were given only general statements. The admissions people did talk about scholarships and it looks like they understand scholarships will be especially important for the 09/10 intakes.

Fontainebleau is a charming little town, with a huge park and a castle, many small streets, cafes, restaurants. The forest, which the town is famous for, is rather large, contains many biking trails, climbing spots and according to the students is full of deer and wild boar. The vast majority of students live in ‘chateaus’ outside town, which I don’t understand. For a 19 year old living in a chateau (really a big farmer’s house in the middle of nowhere) with 10 other students and throwing parties every other night must be great fun. To me it would be torture. But funny enough, the average age on campus is 29 and a great many people seem to like living in those houses and even prefer them to apartments in Fontainebleau. And this is despite the fact that you need a car in order to live in a chateau - an additional strain on the already strained budget. One thing I learned from the trip, for some people 50k Euros is just not expensive enough.

The students I met were all friendly and smart. None were arrogant d-bags, although they must have kept those types out of sight. Many of those present were truly international - when asked about where they come from the answer goes like “Well, I was born in country X but I live in Y, however my dad is from Z…”. Not all are like that, however, there were also a couple of ‘normal’ people who were simply from country X, but everyone had interesting stories to tell. The other applicants were not a very diverse crowd, mostly Brits and Indians, with the occasional Asian or American, or French dude. My nationality and region was definitely underrepresented. I hope this means I have less competition and not that I am the only moron in my part of the world willing to cough up the money for the plane ticket.

All in all, I am glad I made this trip. As expected, it did not really give me any exceptional insight into the school but I made contacts that may prove to be useful. If admitted, now I know how to choose where to live and how to budget for living costs in Fontainebleau (note to self: set aside enough budget for drinks). I also established beyond doubt that I would fit into the social life at INSEAD. Now the question is how to say this in the essays.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Even though I am not apping there, INSEAD seems like a great place, made even better by this fantastic report. Great stuff Nerdboy, best of luck for your apps. +1
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:LBS '11
Send PM
Great report, Nerdboy. Kudos!

I'm in for the September '09 intake, but in retrospect I probably should have gone for the January '10 intake instead (especially for the internships and due to work commitments). Oh well, too late now. :)

I was just in Fontainebleau last week and I agree with your assessments about the campus as well. In fact, I visited several schools in Europe, and I'd probably say the INSEAD visit and campus was my favorite. I did not meet as many students due to exams, but my tour with one of the Admissions Coordinator was still pretty useful for assessing the general environment and lifestyle. I heard about the chateau living situations as well -- I think I'd probably go that route, just for the experience.

With regard to language, it definitely seems like basic-level French will still be necessary for daily life in Fonty. I've been to France a few times and I usually make it through by saying in French that I can't speak the language and asking if the person spoke English. If not, then I somehow construct something out of the ten or so phrases that I sorta know. :lol: It's worked every time for me, so I'm not really sure where the stereotype (in America at least) comes from.
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V47
Send PM
prashok wrote:
I heard about the chateau living situations as well -- I think I'd probably go that route, just for the experience.

Definitely not an option for me. Come on, I will be 30 years old by that time. I imagine trying to get some sleep and my chateau-mates throwing a party till 4 AM... Let's just say that me and whoever comes out alive will not be good friends after graduation. There goes the power of the alumni network...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Hi Nerdboy,

I've read with pleasure your post regarding INSEAD. I am aiming to apply to INSEAD for January 2010. This year I've done my first GMAT aptent and got completely out of the game. I do need to repeat the test and see if I can get my dream school one day :).

In the meantime because I was so frustrated after my awful GMAT I've focus in my career developemnt and was promoted in November. Hopefully this will help me in the application. I guess I will start using the forum again. I've stopped for half a year, but after reading your post I got strenght again to re-start my study with full energy.

I may visit the campus during the forthcoming year. The game has just started :).
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Carol, best of luck with the GMAT and essays! I'm glad to hear that my post contributes something.
Current Student
Schools:LBS '11
Send PM
Nerdboy wrote:
Definitely not an option for me. Come on, I will be 30 years old by that time. I imagine trying to get some sleep and my chateau-mates throwing a party till 4 AM... Let's just say that me and whoever comes out alive will not be good friends after graduation. There goes the power of the alumni network...

Yeah, I know what you mean. Given the intensity of the program, it could get pretty frustrating very quickly.

On the plus side, it seems like rent in Fonty shouldn't be too outrageous in general (at least compared to London and Paris), so finding a flat or apartment close to campus in the town centre doesn't seem like it would be difficult.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Hi All,

I have 3.5 years of full time experience in embedded domain(last 1.5 years in a French based MNC). I am giving GMAT in february 2009. What are my chances at INSEAD. I wanted to apply for Jan'10 intake in the first round. I have less time between GMAT and first round deadline. Shall I wait for second round or shall I put in extra efforts and apply in the first round itself.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 536 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Nerdboy wrote:

The admissions people said very explicitly that they are looking for at least 75th percentile quant and 70th percentile verbal. The scaled score does not matter that much, only the percentiles on both section

That's interesting. Does that mean that if an applicant has a score that doesn't match this, they'll reject him/her ?
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V47
Send PM
pmenon wrote:
Nerdboy wrote:

The admissions people said very explicitly that they are looking for at least 75th percentile quant and 70th percentile verbal. The scaled score does not matter that much, only the percentiles on both section

That's interesting. Does that mean that if an applicant has a score that doesn't match this, they'll reject him/her ?

Well, someone asked about their score and the admissions lady said that if you are close, like seventy-something percentile in quant but not quite 75th, and everything else in you application is fine then this will not be a reason for rejection. I guess the reason would be that that there's a ton of other applicants whose applications are just as fine...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Nerdboy wrote:
Are there any other early b---ds (I mean birds, of course) here?

Hey Nerdboy,

I'm thinking about applying to INSEAD as well. Basically, looking for a quality 1-year program in Europe / US (not sure there are any in the US, though). Looks like we're in the same age bracket :)

What do you do? Where are you based?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Concentration: General Mgmt
Schools:Undecided
Send PM
Hi folks..

A newbie here.. Targeting at Jan 2010 intake for INSEAD.. mostly might settle for Sep 2010.

Jan intake has the advantage of internship... might actually be good for me.

fingers crossed... hv to shift gears n accelerate.

Happy New Year All!
:P
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V47
Send PM
ob wrote:
Nerdboy wrote:
Are there any other early b---ds (I mean birds, of course) here?

Hey Nerdboy,

I'm thinking about applying to INSEAD as well. Basically, looking for a quality 1-year program in Europe / US (not sure there are any in the US, though). Looks like we're in the same age bracket :)

What do you do? Where are you based?

Hi ob, I'm a banker in Europe.

What stage are you at with the application? I'm now polishing drafts and pushing recommenders.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9