GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Oct 2019, 03:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

13 years from 650 to 700

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: MIT SDM "20 (D)
13 years from 650 to 700  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2019, 21:00
Hi GMATClub Members,

This was my third attempt at GMAT. First 2 attempts were each in Aug, and September of 2006 (yes, that is 2006). I had sort of dropped my MBA plans until last year, when I thought of giving it another shot. I started preparing from late 2018 (around middle of December-2018). It was very hard to get a motivation with a full-time job and family. First thing I did to start preparing seriously was to book a date, I booked myself a date for middle of February, and started preparing. I bought OG-2019, and Manhattan complete set, and finished almost all. I said almost, as I didn't complete OG, and skipped over a lot of review part. I also solved GMATClub question in 1-week free trial, whatever I could.

I scored 650 in 2006, in both the attempts. I really wanted to get into 700 line, ideally north of 730, hence started the preparation.
I didn't score that well in my OG test-1 I scored 630 with 1-week into studies. Then I started with MGMAT-1 from Manhattan, and scored about the same: 620. I was struggling with time management, and didn't really give any full-length CATs after those 2. However, I completed OG Q and V review with online test simulator, and practiced to finish questions in time. Very minimal practice for IR and AWA.

Then came the test day, it was a Saturday afternoon. I got into test center about an hour earlier, and was let-in right away, which was good. I selected Q-V-IR-AWA order, as I liked Quant to begin with. I did very poor time management, as I was doing in mock tests; when I was done with 25 questions in Quant, I was literally left with 5 minutes, imagine 6 questions in 5 minutes. I solved a few of them, and guessed for the ones, which I had no time to even read.

I did same in Verbal, poor time management. I had 4 RCs, third one was really really long, and hard. I made a mistake and spend a LOT of time in that RC, which left no time for later questions. Here I was left with about 10 or so questions in about 8-10 minutes. Guess what, a few questions later there was another RC (4th), needless to say, I had to guess many of the questions without even understanding.

Then came the IR, which was very difficult, as I didn't have much practice. However, I made sure to give my best shot, as I knew being calm was important in IR. Finally, I was left with almost no time, for last 1-2 questions.

AWA, I got kind of an OK argument, and did well. Back in 2006, I scored 5.5/6 in Analysis of issue and Analysis of Argument sections, so wasn't really worried over it. I haven't gotten the scores for this yet.

Here is my final score:

Total : 700 (Q-49, V37, IR-6):

I really wanted to get 50+ in Quant, as being non-native speaker I wasn't too hopeful for Verbal. I scored 37, which is about what I expected.

I will probably not retake GMAT now, and will use 700 as my score to apply to EMBA programs, I am looking to apply to.

My advice to test-takers, Please-Please watch out time. I know it is very tough to get questions right within time, but this is how it is. Had I managed time better, I would have scored at-least 20-30 more points. IR, same thing, manage time, and be ultra-attentive.

PS: I know on this forum 700 score, no body even talks about, but nonetheless I wanted to share my experience. I hope some of you might find it useful.
Director
Director
P
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.95
WE: Operations (Real Estate)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 13 years from 650 to 700  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2019, 21:51
" I know on this forum 700 score, no body even talks about, but nonetheless I wanted to share my experience. I hope some of you might find it useful"

Let me disagree with you... Your score is phenomenal...you are in the elite zone... V37 is not just an amazing score it is phenomenal... And the amazing thing about you is the time lapse... The hardest thing one has to do is getting into the study mode after such a long break... From 2006 to 2018 ...that's hell lot of longggggg break...

And not just some , many are going to find this helpful
A hearty congratulations to you ..

I am in the same boat as you were once ... TIME TIME TIME... If you can take out some time from your schedule and try to mentor me it would be great..I wish to know how you tackled the timing part...I will pm you if youre okay with guiding me .. Thankyou

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: MIT SDM "20 (D)
Re: 13 years from 650 to 700  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2019, 20:49
AdityaHongunti wrote:
" I know on this forum 700 score, no body even talks about, but nonetheless I wanted to share my experience. I hope some of you might find it useful"

Let me disagree with you... Your score is phenomenal...you are in the elite zone... V37 is not just an amazing score it is phenomenal... And the amazing thing about you is the time lapse... The hardest thing one has to do is getting into the study mode after such a long break... From 2006 to 2018 ...that's hell lot of longggggg break...

And not just some , many are going to find this helpful
A hearty congratulations to you ..

I am in the same boat as you were once ... TIME TIME TIME... If you can take out some time from your schedule and try to mentor me it would be great..I wish to know how you tackled the timing part...I will pm you if youre okay with guiding me .. Thankyou

Posted from my mobile device

Thanks. Feel free to drop me a PM with any questions you might have. I will try to answer them.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: 13 years from 650 to 700   [#permalink] 22 Feb 2019, 20:49

13 years from 650 to 700

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics