It is currently 23 Sep 2017, 16:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

2 months left

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 24

WE: Law (Non-Profit and Government)
CAT Tests
2 months left [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2017, 19:10
Dear friends,
I am encouraged to write this post after reading good responses on the forum. I have registered for the GMAT exam and it's towards the end of September. I am first time taker. I decided to prepare by joining live classes of Princeton review in September last year. In the mock test that I took I scored 350 which was very discouraging. I joined their classes and online portal and gradually have improved to a score of 580 in the last mock I took in Jan 17. For 3 months I had to exit preparation because of work. I restarted in mid April. In the last mock that I took in Jan I scored q37 and v 28. I joined egmat course and now at it. My target score is 700. Can I do it in 2 months time. I do not seem to be improving though I am afraid to take another mock. Am able to spend about 10-15 hours per week. I am trying to increase my study time though it's difficult balancing work and home. So...

Sent from my Lenovo A6020a46 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

e-GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 64

GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.82
WE: Corporate Finance (Retail Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: 2 months left [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2017, 19:32
9994ag wrote:
Dear friends,
I am encouraged to write this post after reading good responses on the forum. I have registered for the GMAT exam and it's towards the end of September. I am first time taker. I decided to prepare by joining live classes of Princeton review in September last year. In the mock test that I took I scored 350 which was very discouraging. I joined their classes and online portal and gradually have improved to a score of 580 in the last mock I took in Jan 17. For 3 months I had to exit preparation because of work. I restarted in mid April. In the last mock that I took in Jan I scored q37 and v 28. I joined egmat course and now at it. My target score is 700. Can I do it in 2 months time. I do not seem to be improving though I am afraid to take another mock. Am able to spend about 10-15 hours per week. I am trying to increase my study time though it's difficult balancing work and home. So...

For non natives of English language, egmat is good for GMAT verbal preparation. egmat's SC course is best. Moreover, go through the Manhattan guides. It's SC guide is more comprehensive and at advance level. For quant, follow bunuel and subscribe the gmatclub's tests. Best of luck for your gmat preparation.

If you like my posts, please give kudos. Help me unlock gmatclub tests.

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 64

Intern
Intern
B

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2017, 20:09
Thanks brother,
I am already member of GMAT club but not active. I will try to be more active though it's also a distraction once one opens the gmatclub portal.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 251

Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.76
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2017, 23:49
9994ag wrote:
Dear friends,

Hi, you are not alone in this journey...I will suggest you that use quality sources and give mocks every week as it will help you to know your weaknesses. Analyze your mistakes, if you think you didnt understand the question then it means your concept is weak but if you are doing silly mistakes like calculating wrong answer then it means you need practice, a lot of actually. either its quant or verbal, one need to practice and learn from mistakes. GMATCLUB is the best source as you can find thousands of quality questions with experts explanations. try gmatclub quant test it helps a lot. i havnt used verbal tests but quant one helped me score quant 47.

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds. -Larry Bird
Success isn't something that just happens - success is learned, success is practiced and then it is shared. -Sparky Anderson
-S

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

Kudos [?]: 3318 [0], given: 171

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2017, 18:50
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi 9994ag,

If you really took your last CAT back in January, then it has been 6 months since you took a CAT. Until you have an up-to-date score result from a new, FULL-LENGTH CAT (taken in a realistic fashion), then we have no idea what your current ability level is, nor do we know what you need to work on to hit your score goal. As such, I suggest that you take a new CAT sometime soon (perhaps this weekend). Once you have that score result, you should post back here and we can discuss how best to proceed.

1) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
2) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free

Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 24

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2017, 18:39
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks sananoor
For some good tips. Its very encouraging to receive advice when you are struggling.

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 24

Intern
Intern
B

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2017, 18:45
Thanks Rich,
I haven't taken cat recently because it's been months since I brushed up my quant section but I will do it anyway this weekend. I got some Princeton tests remaining. I am planning to apply in October- Dec this year. Not sure about schools yet. Will decide as per my score.

VP
VP
D

Kudos [?]: 960 [0], given: 510

Concentration: Finance, International Business
GPA: 3.4
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2017, 10:50
9994ag wrote:
Dear friends,

Hi

It is possible with hard work and good strategies

It is better to start with taking a CAT exam know starting point 3 month is pretty enough time so you can start with Best comprehensive material
1. Manhattan GMAT Quant Guides 2. Manhattan GMAT Verbal guides or Aristotle Verbal Guide for CR critical reasoning bible is best book with 300+ pages of comprehensive Data

Start with quant, learn the concepts tested on GMAT After learning, practice your learned section with timed practice You can also take quizzes to meet the pace of GMAT
1 Month for learning concepts and 15 days of practice and same with the verbal when completed all the concepts learning and handsome practice Take full lenght CATs, know your estimated score

Analyze the result with Correct/incorrect questions, pacing analysis trace your mistakes and learn from them, make an error log to know your mistakes in the previously attempted questions

Best CATs

1. Official GMAC (50+50$)
2. Manhattan GMAT (49$)
3. GMAT Club Quant CATs (80$)
4. Veritas CATs (49$ but you can buy at 15-20$ During sale period)

Good Luck
Cheers :)

Official PS Practice Questions

Kudos [?]: 960 [0], given: 510

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.76
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2017, 05:34
9994ag wrote:
Thanks sananoor
For some good tips. Its very encouraging to receive advice when you are struggling.

You are always Welcome, I will suggest you to take one mock so that you know what are you weak areas. dont spend much of the time on concepts, i will suggest do practice and learn from your mistakes. I realized that more you practiced more you learn, but if you dont revise your error log then you are in problem.

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds. -Larry Bird
Success isn't something that just happens - success is learned, success is practiced and then it is shared. -Sparky Anderson
-S

Intern
Intern
B

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2017, 08:04
Dear Rich,
I took Princeton CAT and scored a dismal 530 Q33/V30. In Quant I got 29 out of 37 right and in verbal 27 out of 41 right. Feeling really disappointed as I had scored 580 (Q37/V30) and had 26 out of 37 in Q and 28 out of 41. So end up going down. I have about 45 days to go for my exam. What can I do to improve. :(

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2017, 10:27
Hi 9994ag,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, this recent CAT score result is fairly similar to your prior result - albeit at the 'lower end' of the same general range (550 +/- a few points). Raising this score to a 700+ will likely take at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study though, so you might need to consider pushing back your Test Date.

1) Are you still currently enrolled in a GMAT Course? When does that Course end?

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern
B

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2017, 16:46
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi 9994ag,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, this recent CAT score result is fairly similar to your prior result - albeit at the 'lower end' of the same general range (550 +/- a few points). Raising this score to a 700+ will likely take at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study though, so you might need to consider pushing back your Test Date.

1) Are you still currently enrolled in a GMAT Course? When does that Course end?

Rich

Hi Rich,
I will push my exam. Currently it is scheduled for 28 September I will push it to end of Oct or first wk of Nov. I am still enrolled with egmat and it is valid till September. I have worked hard in SC but am consistently getting only 12-14 out of 17-18 qs right. I will let SC rest for a while. I think I would focus more on RC and on quant. In PS I am getting only one or two q wrong but DS is pulling me down. Thanks for your prompt response.

Intern
Intern
B

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2017, 17:31
Hi,
After my last post I have taken a few more mock, all of Princeton review as I had them and these are my results
T-6 13/8/17 530 Q33/V30
T-7 20/8/17 470 Q34/V22
T-8 27/8/17 570 Q37/V24
T-9 3/9/17 650 Q43/V37
Last one shows abnormal results as I could not have improved so drastically. I have followed all test conditions. My exam is originally scheduled for 28 sept, but I will postpone it. I am not sure how much time is required to achieve a target score of 700 . Any suggestions? I am currently following e-Gmat courses.

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2017, 15:11
Hi 9994ag,

All of the CATs that you've listed are from Princeton, so that might be a factor in the inconsistencies in your scores. The scoring algorithm on the Official GMAT is far more complicated than most people realize. Since that algorithm is proprietary, no GMAT company has an exact match for it, thus CAT scores can vary a bit based on the 'biases' involved in their respective designs. The most realistic CATs available are the 6 from GMAC (the 2 free CATs, and each of the 2 that come with Exam Pack 1 and Exam Pack 2), so it would be useful to know how you perform on one of those CATS. As such, I suggest that you study as you see fit for the next 1-2 weeks, then take one of the Official CATs.

If we assume that you're probably in the mid-500s 'ability level', then you would likely still need at least another 3 months of consistent, guided study to regularly hit 700+.

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

Re: 2 months left   [#permalink] 04 Sep 2017, 15:11

2 months left

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HiLine

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap