GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 May 2019, 08:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

40 percent of the ducks included in a certain side effects study were

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Always try to face your worst fear because nothing GOOD comes easy. You must be UNCOMFORTABLE to get to your COMFORT ZONE
Joined: 15 Aug 2014
Posts: 280
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
40 percent of the ducks included in a certain side effects study were  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2016, 07:13
17
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

72% (02:48) correct 28% (03:02) wrong based on 155 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

40 percent of the ducks included in a certain side effects study were male. If some of the ducks had side effects during the study and 30 percent of the ducks who had side effects were male, what was the ratio of the side effect rate for the male ducks to the side effect rate for the female ducks?

A. 1/4
B. 9/14
C. 2/3
D. 7/8
E. 8/7

_________________
"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

I need to work on timing badly!!
Most Helpful Community Reply
Director
Director
User avatar
G
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Joined: 03 Oct 2013
Posts: 564
Location: India
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
Re: 40 percent of the ducks included in a certain side effects study were  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2017, 05:52
10
Top Contributor
3
Hi sairam595,

Word problems on the GMAT can be really tricky. The best thing to do when you solve word problems is to read the question in parts rather than reading the entire question. Also keep in mind that when you deal with questions related to percentages, it always makes sense to start with an initial value of 100.

So lets work this question out part by part.

40 percent of the ducks included in a certain side effects study were male

Now if we assume the total number of ducks to be 100, then we have 40 male ducks and 60 female ducks

If some of the ducks had side effects

Let the number of ducks who have side effects be 's'.

30 percent of the ducks who had side effects were male

This means that the number of males who had side effects is 0.3s and the number of females who had side effects is 0.7s

What was the ratio of the side effect rate for the male ducks to the side effect rate for the female ducks?

The side effect rate for male ducks = Number of male ducks with side effects/Total number of males ducks -----> (0.3s)/40

The side effect rate for male ducks = Number of male ducks with side effects/Total number of males ducks -----> (0.7s)/60

Ratio = (0.3s)/40 : (0.7s)/60

Simplifying we get 9/14

Hope this helps!

Learn proven strategies to get an MBA through GMAT in 2018! Join Free 4 part MBA Through GMAT Video Training Series
https://gmat.crackverbal.com/mba-through-gmat-video-2018

CrackVerbal Academics Team
_________________
- CrackVerbal Prep Team

For more info on GMAT and MBA, follow us on @AskCrackVerbal

Register for the Free GMAT Kickstarter Course : http://bit.ly/2DDHKHq

Register for our Personal Tutoring Course : https://www.crackverbal.com/gmat/personal-tutoring/

Join the free 4 part GMAT video training series : http://bit.ly/2DGm8tR
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Sep 2014
Posts: 227
Reviews Badge
Re: 40 percent of the ducks included in a certain side effects study were  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2016, 08:10
3
5
40 percent of the ducks included in a certain side effects study were male. If some of the ducks had side effects during the study and 30 percent of the ducks who had side effects were male, what was the ratio of the side effect rate for the male ducks to the side effect rate for the female ducks?
A. 1/4
B. 9/14
C. 2/3
D. 7/8
E. 8/7

Say total male = 40
Total female =60

Required ratio =( .3/40)/ (.7/60) = 9/14 B is the answer

Posted from my mobile device
_________________
Kindly press the Kudos to appreciate my post !! :-)
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 14 Jun 2016
Posts: 34
Re: 40 percent of the ducks included in a certain side effects study were  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2017, 15:00
This question doesn't sound complete to me. "SOME" of the ducts had side effects and out of these "SOME" ducks, 30% are male, so the other 70% are female.
SOME could be 10 ducks or even 100 ducks. Lets take 10 as example,
0.30 * 10 = 3 male
0.70*10 = 7 female
The answer should be 3/7

I think it has wording issue.
VP
VP
User avatar
D
Joined: 09 Mar 2016
Posts: 1283
40 percent of the ducks included in a certain side effects study were  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2019, 12:21
Bunuel shouldn't the answer be 3/7 ? :?


0.30*40 =12

0.7*60 = 42

\(\frac{12}{42} = \frac{3}{7}\)

Hey Gladi how are you there ? :) Gladiator59
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 25 Jun 2017
Posts: 34
Location: Canada
GMAT 1: 660 Q45 V36
GPA: 3.5
WE: Human Resources (Consumer Products)
CAT Tests
40 percent of the ducks included in a certain side effects study were  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 26 Mar 2019, 07:16
1
dave13 wrote:
Bunuel shouldn't the answer be 3/7 ? :?


0.30*40 =12

0.7*60 = 42

\(\frac{12}{42} = \frac{3}{7}\)

Hey Gladi how are you there ? :) Gladiator59


It should be 9/14.

You are looking for the ratio of the side effects rate between males and females. To get this you have to get the side effects rate of the males and compare with the side effects rate of the females.

If x = total ducks with side effects, then 0.3x = # of male ducks with side effects, and 0.7x = # of female ducks with side effects.

Male side effects rate = \(\frac{males with side effects}{total male population}\). =\(\frac{0.3x}{40}\)

Female side effects rate = \(\frac{females with side effects}{total female population}\) =\(\frac{0.7x}{60}\)

Therefore, ratio of males to females is:

\(\frac{0.3x}{40}\) : \(\frac{0.7x}{60}\). LCM is 120.

= \(\frac{0.9x}{120}\) : \(\frac{1.4x}{120}\)

=9 : 14
_________________
If you liked my post, give me Kudos! Thanks!

Originally posted by rodri102 on 25 Mar 2019, 14:47.
Last edited by rodri102 on 26 Mar 2019, 07:16, edited 2 times in total.
VP
VP
User avatar
D
Joined: 09 Mar 2016
Posts: 1283
Re: 40 percent of the ducks included in a certain side effects study were  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2019, 06:50
how 0.3 / 40 we get 9 ?


Any math professors out there ? :grin:
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 25 Jun 2017
Posts: 34
Location: Canada
GMAT 1: 660 Q45 V36
GPA: 3.5
WE: Human Resources (Consumer Products)
CAT Tests
40 percent of the ducks included in a certain side effects study were  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2019, 07:19
1
dave13 wrote:
how 0.3 / 40 we get 9 ?


Any math professors out there ? :grin:


Please see above. It is corrected.

Ratio of males to females is:

= \(\frac{0.3x}{40}\) : \(\frac{0.7x}{60}.\). LCM is 120

= \(\frac{0.9x}{120}\) : \(\frac{1.4x}{120}\)

= 9 : 14
_________________
If you liked my post, give me Kudos! Thanks!
Senior PS Moderator
User avatar
D
Status: It always seems impossible until it's done.
Joined: 16 Sep 2016
Posts: 750
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: 40 percent of the ducks included in a certain side effects study were  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2019, 20:56
1
Hi there dave13 , hope you're doing great! :-)

Lets try to take a few numbers to begin with.
Study has 40% male ducks. Assuming there are a total of 100 there are 40 male and 60 female ducks.

Let's X ducks be affected. It is given that 30% of X are male and hence remaining (i.e 70%)will be female.

Incidence rate for male ducks will be

# of affected males / # of total males

0.3*X / 40 .... (A)

Similarly from female,
0.7*X / 60 .... (B)

When we divide (A) by (B) we will get-

(0.3* X * 60) / (0.7* X* 40)

Or 18/28

Which is 9/14

Hence (B) is correct.

Hope this helps. :-)


dave13 wrote:
how 0.3 / 40 we get 9 ?


Any math professors out there ? :grin:


Posted from my mobile device
_________________
Regards,
Gladi



“Do. Or do not. There is no try.” - Yoda (The Empire Strikes Back)
GMAT Club Bot
Re: 40 percent of the ducks included in a certain side effects study were   [#permalink] 26 Mar 2019, 20:56
Display posts from previous: Sort by

40 percent of the ducks included in a certain side effects study were

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.