It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 05:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

5 years later...Still gotten nowhere. 740 feels like a dream

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
Schools: Kellogg MMM '18
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User
5 years later...Still gotten nowhere. 740 feels like a dream [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2017, 09:24
Hey Guys!

I thought I would start a journal entry and get more involved in the community as I finally commit to a study routine and get the GMAT off my to do list. The fact that it has been on my to do list for the last 5 years, I have realized putting studying off has affected a lot of life decisions as I would give up fun things to do for "study time" to only break the routine a few weeks later and having to start all over again the next time I decided to pick up the ball.

I signed up for 1 year Magoosh study prep account in 2014 which I barely ended up using. And then thinking with a larger investment on Veritas live online prep course would get me to commit in 2016. Almost made it to the end of the course, but work and life swayed me away from the last 2 weeks of the course which broke my routine for a while. 2017 was the year I promised my self I would get it done, and here I am almost at the middle of November getting my head down.

Why is this time different? Well, I will be starting a new Job in Janurary that wont require any travelling. I also cant put it off any longer, with my green card just a few months away, I will finally be ready to apply to schools in Fall 2018.

Dream Program: Kellogg MMM
Target Score: 740
Target Test Date: Feb 24th 2018
Current Occupation: Automotive engineering concentrating on engine research and product development for race cars.

Resources Available:
Veritas complete lesson book set
MGMAT Sentence Correction book
Official GMAT Guide 2015

Study Plan:
Going to start off with my weakness, Sentence Correction. Coming from Thailand, English ended up being my 4th language, plus numbers have always just come easier to me. Its going to be only SC for weeks and weeks until I get the hang of it. Once I get over this mountain, Ill feel more confident tackling the smaller hills(quant)

Would be glad to hear any advice from some of the experienced test takers. Wish me luck !
- Paras

Last edited by paras99 on 12 Nov 2017, 10:01, edited 2 times in total.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Magoosh Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesOptimus Prep Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
D

Kudos [?]: 18029 [1], given: 1990

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re: 5 years later...Still gotten nowhere. 740 feels like a dream [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2017, 09:47
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Well you learned the first lesson well - throwing money at a problem does not solve the problem.

I would recommend discipline as it will SAVE you on the test. Start maintaining an error log and commit to using it. Other than that, focus a LOT on official questions, start analyzing your strengths and weaknesses, attend the GMAT Ninja sessions on YouTube and just in general, teach others on the forums. You will be good in no time :)

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 18029 [1], given: 1990

Manager
Manager
S
Affiliations: NA

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 7

Joseph: N
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2017, 11:37
Hi Paras99,

You should be proud of yourself for continuing on. It seems like you have had many experiences with different course providers, and that could be an advantage for you to see which one works the best for your personal learning style. Many of these courses provide powerful insights, but my key piece of advice to you is to really focus on the Official Guides - easily the most underrated part of any study plan. The truth is simple - GMAC devotes 1000s of dollars to each question they create, and no other test provider can exactly mimic this methodology. In your studies, attempt to clean the 3 books up as much as you can. A small piece of advice on this is to do the questions in the book on the computer using the included code. On test day, you will need to solve the questions from the computer, and so make this a part of your study habits. Best of luck to you - 740 is not that far away :-)

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 7

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

Kudos [?]: 3678 [0], given: 173

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2017, 13:11
Hi paras99,

Since you're coming back to your studies after a lengthy time off, it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can download 2 for free from www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). That score will give us a good sense of your natural strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 4 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

As an aside, the list of study materials that you're planning to use is 'book heavy.' Unfortunately, many Test Takers who use a 'book heavy' study approach end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level, so you'll likely end up needing to invest in some non-book resources.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Kudos [?]: 3678 [0], given: 173

VP
VP
D

Kudos [?]: 282 [0], given: 6

GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: 339 Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2017, 19:22
paras99 wrote:
Its going to be only SC for weeks and weeks until I get the hang of it. Once I get over this mountain, Ill feel more confident tackling the smaller hills(quant)
How's your RC? If you need to improve there, you should start as early as possible.

Ascore Prep | Bangalore

Kudos [?]: 282 [0], given: 6

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 57

Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2017, 21:03
Hi Paras,

Couple of points for you -

RC - Best way to get good at this is by solving 1 RC everyday and then in a few days increase it to 3 RCs everyday (average 20 RC questions). If you do this from today till your exam date then I don't think you need to explicitly work on RCs. I feel for RCs all that you need is CONSISTENT practice and finding your strategy along the way.

SC - I am in no way connected to the company and have just been just a customer of theirs but I have to say that there is no resource out there better than e-gmat for SCs. I see you already have subscriptions of 2 other companies but I'd still recommend you e-gmat for SCs. Its not exorbitantly expensive and more than worth it. Based on your experience with SC you can subscribe other courses too of theirs. I feel e-gmat is the best SC resource out there. They are sufficiently technical and not overly technical for SCs and my SC confidence sky rocketed by using their course.

All the best!!!!

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 57

Re: 5 years later...Still gotten nowhere. 740 feels like a dream   [#permalink] 12 Nov 2017, 21:03

5 years later...Still gotten nowhere. 740 feels like a dream

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

HOT DEALS FOR NOVEMBER
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap