Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:10 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8810 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Re: 550 mock test, strategy moving forward [#permalink]
Hi mate,
I started from 550 and reached 650. The jump was possible mostly because of the change in attitude. The toughest task is to work on your mistakes. Understanding why you didn't answer correctly and how you can improve yourself is crucial.

Good luck with your journey ;)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11667 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Mikael,

The process of applying to (and ultimately attending) Business School will require a big investment of time, money and energy on your part, so you really should make sure that the Programs that you apply to match your career goals/needs. This is meant to say that you really should try to define your goals. If you really want to go to the Stockholm School of Economics, then you have to work towards that goal and plan accordingly.

From what you've described, you took 2 CATs in 3 days (scoring 550 and 630) - the problem here is that we don't know which (if either) is truly the accurate reflection of your current skills. While we want to believe that the 630 is the accurate score, we have no way to know (and it does not sound like you took either CAT under rigorous, realistic testing conditions).

I think that you should take a day or two to truly define your long-term goals, then gather the necessary data (application deadlines, etc.) so that we can properly discuss what the next several months of study should look like.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Mikael,

The process of applying to (and ultimately attending) Business School will require a big investment of time, money and energy on your part, so you really should make sure that the Programs that you apply to match your career goals/needs. This is meant to say that you really should try to define your goals. If you really want to go to the Stockholm School of Economics, then you have to work towards that goal and plan accordingly.

From what you've described, you took 2 CATs in 3 days (scoring 550 and 630) - the problem here is that we don't know which (if either) is truly the accurate reflection of your current skills. While we want to believe that the 630 is the accurate score, we have no way to know (and it does not sound like you took either CAT under rigorous, realistic testing conditions).

I think that you should take a day or two to truly define your long-term goals, then gather the necessary data (application deadlines, etc.) so that we can properly discuss what the next several months of study should look like.

Rich

Hi Rich,

To more accurately assess where I currently stand I sat down and took another CAT, this time from Manhattan. I did so under test like circumstances and scored a 620 (Q39/V36).

Moving forward, I have my GMAT scheduled for March 30. I would like a result of 680+.

My weak points for verbal are SC and RC. Sentence correction is especially weak. I've ordered MGMAT's sentence correction book and I hope that should give me some pointers.

For Quant, I'm weak in both DS and PS but especially weak in data sufficiency. To be honest, my math fundamentals are severely lacking and I find myself not knowing what some problems are about at all.

What would be my best resources for learning math fundamentals? I have the MGMAT basic math book on it's way from ebay which I hope will help me.

Cheers,

Mikael
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Mikael,

You mentioned that you took this last CAT under test-like circumstances, so I'd just like to clarify a few details:

1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take it at home?
3) Did you take it at the same time of day as your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during this CAT that you can't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
5) Have you taken this CAT before? Had you seen any of the questions before?

All things being equal, if this score is accurate then your score goal is absolutely achievable in the time that you have. You might find it necessary to invest in some non-book study materials though.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Mikael,

You mentioned that you took this last CAT under test-like circumstances, so I'd just like to clarify a few details:

1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take it at home?
3) Did you take it at the same time of day as your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during this CAT that you can't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
5) Have you taken this CAT before? Had you seen any of the questions before?

All things being equal, if this score is accurate then your score goal is absolutely achievable in the time that you have. You might find it necessary to invest in some non-book study materials though.

Rich

Hi Rich

1) I did, but didn't put too much effort in and got mediocre scores.
2) Yes
3) No, I took it around 10pm at night after work so I was a bit tired.
4) Not really. I did however finish each section about 20 minutes early. Especially in the quant section this was not due to moving too quickly and making careless mistakes, I just had lots of questions that I did not know what they meant.
5) I have not and no
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
550 mock test, strategy moving forward [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Mikael,

Test Day is a rather specific 'event' - the details are specific and they matter, so you have to train as best as you can for all of them. The more realistic you can make your CATs, the more likely the score results are to be accurate. The more you deviate, the more your scores can deviate - and that's almost certainly what happened here. With this latest CAT, you didn't "try your best" in the IR and Essay sections (because you were tired) and you rushed through a certain number of Quant/Verbal questions and finished early (you could have used those extra 20 minutes in each section to potentially pick up some points). Beyond that, neither taking the CAT at 10pm nor taking it at home are realistic choices. This is all meant to say that I don't think that this score is necessarily accurate - and you're going to have to be a bit more disciplined about how you take your CATs from now on, otherwise we'll won't be able to properly assess your 'readiness' to face the Official GMAT.

Rich
GMAT Club Bot
550 mock test, strategy moving forward [#permalink]