GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Oct 2019, 18:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

580 on 5th Attempt looking for insight on how to improve

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 610 Q45 V28
GMAT 2: 620 Q44 V32
GMAT 3: 640 Q49 V29
GMAT 4: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.76
Reviews Badge
580 on 5th Attempt looking for insight on how to improve  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2018, 06:04
Hi all,

I took my fifth attempt at the GMAT today after taking a break for almost a year and scored an abysmal 580 (Q47, V23, IR7). The last time I took the GMAT was September 2017 and scored a 640 (Q49 V 29), my other scores were earlier than that so might not be as relevant.

I started studying again in September of this year and have been using the GMAT Prep software, the OG 2017, and Manhattan Prep books. I had previously taken the MGMAT Interact courses, e-GMAT Verbal online course, and EMPOWERGmat. The last four practice tests that I took before my current attempt were on the GMAT Prep software and I scored the following: 700 (Q48 V37), 710 (Q49 V38), 710 (Q49 V38), 710(Q49 V36). Given the scores I was getting I was sure I was ready for the test this time but the V23 definitely surprised me as I thought I was doing well throughout the Verbal section and didn't feel distracted at all. I took my practice tests under the same conditions as the test and even at the exact same time.

My target score is a 710 and given that I didn't get close to it I don't think I can apply for Round 2 schools like I had hoped. I feel like I'm almost there with this test but I'm not sure what is holding me back. I'm waiting to get my ESR and as soon as I do I will post it here. Could you all help me figure out where I'm falling short and what I can do to ensure that I hit my target score? I'm thinking of retaking the test in early January so I can keep this momentum going.

Thanks
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: 580 on 5th Attempt looking for insight on how to improve  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2018, 14:09
Hi Apurve,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day did not go as well as hoped. Since this is your 5th attempt - and your Verbal Scaled Score is significantly lower than your other attempts (both your Official Scores and your CAT Scores), I have a few questions about how you took your prior Scores, your CATs and Test Day itself:

1) What were your Scores on each of your Official GMATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each)?
2) Since you've studied for the GMAT multiple times, how many times did you use the Official GMAC CATs?
3) What did you do in the 3 days before your GMAT?
4) How did you sleep the night before your Test?
5) How long was the ride to the Test Center from your home?
6) Were there any distractions at the facility or during the Test?
7) What did you do during the two 8-minute breaks?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Leadership

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2018, 14:19
Did questions repeat while you were giving 2nd shot at gmatprep test. because this can really hinder to judge actual ability.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 610 Q45 V28
GMAT 2: 620 Q44 V32
GMAT 3: 640 Q49 V29
GMAT 4: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.76
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2018, 01:44
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Apurve,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day did not go as well as hoped. Since this is your 5th attempt - and your Verbal Scaled Score is significantly lower than your other attempts (both your Official Scores and your CAT Scores), I have a few questions about how you took your prior Scores, your CATs and Test Day itself:

1) What were your Scores on each of your Official GMATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each)?
2) Since you've studied for the GMAT multiple times, how many times did you use the Official GMAC CATs?
3) What did you do in the 3 days before your GMAT?
4) How did you sleep the night before your Test?
5) How long was the ride to the Test Center from your home?
6) Were there any distractions at the facility or during the Test?
7) What did you do during the two 8-minute breaks?

Rich

Hi Rich,

Thanks for replying. See my responses below. Also, I'm attaching the ESR for the test as well.

1) My previous official scores are as follows: 610 (Q45 V228), 620 (Q44 V32), 620 (Q42 V35), 640 (Q49 V29)
2) I've used them all once. Which was more than a year ago so I didnt remember any questions that I saw.
3) I continued practicing a few questions for RC, CR, SC from the Verbal Guide. I also reviewed my mistakes. I took a practice test 4 days before my actual test
4) I got 8 hours of sleep but I kept waking up and falling back asleep
5) It was about 30 minutes
6) No distractions
7) I drank some water and ate some chocolate
Attachments

December 2018 ESR.pdf [502.68 KiB]
Downloaded 17 times

To download please login or register as a user

Target Test Prep Representative
D
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2018, 19:41
Hi Apurve,

I’m sorry to hear how things went with your GMAT. Although I don’t have too much information regarding your test-day experience, it’s possible that that nerves, stress, tiredness, or a combination of all three negatively affected your test-day performance. However, it’s also possible that you have some lingering weaknesses that were exposed on test day.

Scoring high on GMAT verbal tends to involve using logic and noticing key details. However, it is possible to get some verbal questions right by looking for patterns that you have already encountered in your preparation. Looking for patterns will not always work, though, and if the patterns you are familiar with don’t show up in the questions that you see on the actual GMAT, your verbal score will not be very high. So, another possible reason for the difference between your verbal scores on practice tests and your verbal score on the real GMAT is that in your preparation, you did not really learn to do what you have to do in order to score high on verbal. Rather, you picked up on some patterns that were effective in getting you relatively high scores on practice tests.

If you’d like to provide some further details about the days leading up to your exam and how you felt while taking the exam, perhaps we can better determine why your test score dropped.

Feel free to reach out with further questions.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

e-GMAT Representative
P
580 on 5th Attempt looking for insight on how to improve  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2018, 05:54
Hi Apurve,

Just wanted to check if you got the chance to check our response to your query over email. We had listed a few immediate steps for you. We would like to know if you need any further help or clarification.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards,
Aditee
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2018, 19:44
Hi Apurve,

I've sent you a PM with an analysis of your ESR and some additional notes.

Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
VP
VP
P
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2018, 22:52
Your Verbal just plunged in the actual exam. Did you order ESR?

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com
GMAT Club Bot
Re: 580 on 5th Attempt looking for insight on how to improve   [#permalink] 20 Dec 2018, 22:52

580 on 5th Attempt looking for insight on how to improve

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: souvonik2k