GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Jan 2019, 08:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • GMAT Club Tests are Free & Open for Martin Luther King Jr.'s Birthday!

January 21, 2019

January 21, 2019

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Mark your calendars - All GMAT Club Tests are free and open January 21st for celebrate Martin Luther King Jr.'s Birthday.
  • The winners of the GMAT game show

January 22, 2019

January 22, 2019

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

In case you didn’t notice, we recently held the 1st ever GMAT game show and it was awesome! See who won a full GMAT course, and register to the next one.

600 level questions too easy 700 level too difficult

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
B
600 level questions too easy 700 level too difficult  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2019, 20:56
Hi Everyone,

I've been preparing for GMAT verbal for a very long time(2 years) and have been practicing a lot of questions. But my prep seems to have taken me nowhere. I'm still stuck at the same position I was 2 years back. Back then I could solve 600 level questions with ease (8/10 correct avg.) and would struggle with 700 level questions (1/10 correct avg.). I'm in the same position now.

How do I proceed from here? Do I spend practice more 600 level questions or take my time, a lot of time, with 700 level questions to try and get them right?
Major weaknesses are reading speed and critical reasoning (boldface and implicit assumptions mainly).

I didn't want to admit my weaknesses so I was hesitant to post here but it's time I git gud.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Re: 600 level questions too easy 700 level too difficult  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2019, 08:31
Hi GittenGud,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. Before providing specific advice, I’d like to learn more about your situation with the GMAT. I have some questions:

1) How many times have you taken the actual GMAT? Please list the dates on which you’ve taken the GMAT, the total scores, and the quant, verbal, and IR scores, as well as how you were feeling while taking the tests.

2) How many practice GMAT tests did you take? Please list the dates on which you’ve taken any practice GMATs, the total scores, and the quant, verbal, and IR scores, as well as how you were feeling while taking the tests. Also, please tell me where these tests came from (ex: mba.com).

3) Please describe how you studied. For how many hours a day did you study and for how many months? What resources have you been using?

4) To what programs will you be applying? What are the deadlines for these programs?

5) By when would you LIKE to take the GMAT? By when MUST you take the GMAT?

6) For how many hours a day, on average, can you study between now and your next GMAT?

7) In your opinion, how prepared were you for the GMAT? It's important that you answer this question as objectively as possible.

8) What is your GMAT score goal?

Once I learn some more about you, I can provide some further advice.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2019, 22:43
Hi Scott,

Thanks for the response. I've tried to answer the questions you put forward as objectively as I could.

1. I've never taken GMAT. I always felt I was under-prepared for my target score of 760+. I simply couldn't afford the $250 price-tag on a wasted attempt.

2. I've taken 3 mock tests the last year.
Test 1- Economist - Jun 2018 - 630 - 49Q28V6IR - Very calm. I had 15 minutes on hand when I completed the verbal section. I made a lot of mistakes and I was overconfident.
Test 2 - Veritas - Aug 2018 - 640 - 48Q30V6IR - Very calm. I spent time more efficiently on verbal but I did not pay enough attention to detail which cost me. Some overconfidence again
Test 3 - Veritas - Oct 2018 - 680 - 48Q35V6IR - Calm. I was in the same state of mind as I was in mock 2 but I scored better. I respected the questions more.

3. In 2018, I consistently spent 6 hours per week on preparation across verbal, quant and reasoning and data interpretation. I prepared using gmatclub questions and other books for CAT, another exam in India.

4. I haven't yet researched on the programs suitable for me. I like to focus on one step at a time and that step is to score 760+ in GMAT.

5. Soft deadline for GMAT: March 2019. Hard Deadline May 2018. I'd like to spend a lot of time on finding the right program for me after May.

6. I can spend 2-3 hours a day to prepare for GMAT.

7. I always felt very unprepared, evident by my mock test scores and gmatclub answer accuracy.

8. GMAT score goal is 760+. I need that to get as much scholarship as I can. I'm a moderately risk averse person. ROI matters to me.

I hope my answers can help you help me better.

Thanks!
P

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 14 Jan 2019, 08:30
Hi GittinGud,

Thank you for the detailed response. First off, looking at your study routine, I see that you are following a plan that I call “practice first and figure the rest out later.” In other words, you are doing practice problems before understanding the concepts on which those problems are based, and thus you are trying to learn solely from reading solutions to problems. Following such a study plan will lead to disorganized studying and ultimately hold you back from improving your quant and verbal skills. Thus, in addition to using your current resources, you may consider using a resource that allows you FIRST to learn the concepts and strategies related to GMAT quant and verbal and SECOND to practice with a large number of realistic questions. Furthermore, ensure that you are following some sort of structured and organized study plan in which you individually learn each GMAT quant and verbal topic, starting with the foundations before moving to more advanced topics. By studying in such a way, you can fill in ALL knowledge gaps and methodically improve your skills. To see what is available to help you study in this way, take a look at the GMAT Club reviews for the best quant and verbal courses.

Also, right now you are studying for 6 hours a week. To be honest, if you truly desire a 760, you will need to step up your studying to closer to 15+ hours a week. Remember, it takes A TON of time and effort to achieve a 760, so you have to put in the time, right?

Lastly, you may find it helpful to read the following articles about
how to score a 700+ on the GMAT, the phases of preparing for the GMAT, and developing the proper mindset for GMAT success.

If you’d like some more specific advice on how to improve your GMAT quant and verbal skills, feel free to reach back out.

Good luck!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

Originally posted by ScottTargetTestPrep on 13 Jan 2019, 18:49.
Last edited by ScottTargetTestPrep on 14 Jan 2019, 08:30, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2019, 07:25
Hi Scott,

Thanks for your response.

1. 2 hours per day should be no problem. I just wile away the time at hand not knowing what to do except waste it or mindlessly solve questions. How do I structure my study sessions for effective learning? I don't want to follow just any plan that's on the internet. I want methods to create my own 3-month study plan.

2. I'm already at V36-37 level. Which course do I pick? None of the courses offer point guarantees at this level. Will books help? If yes, which ones do I use to learn intermediate-advanced concepts (only for verbal)?

Help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
P

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2019, 18:10
Hi GittinGud,

Most online self-study courses offer structured study plans, so you may need to try out a few to determine which is the right fit for you. Once you find the right course, you can follow the study plan provided. As previously mentioned, take a look at the GMAT Club reviews for the best GMAT quant and verbal self-study courses and give a few a test drive.

Regarding verbal, I don’t recommend selecting verbal materials based on a score guarantee; rather, you should look for a course that will best help you improve your verbal skills, you know what I mean?

Feel free to reach out with further questions.

Let’s do this!!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2019, 01:48
Hi Scott,

Yes, I guess I could use one of the courses available online.

"Regarding verbal, I don’t recommend selecting verbal materials based on a score guarantee; rather, you should look for a course that will best help you improve your verbal skills, you know what I mean?"
Yes, I know exactly what you mean. I guess I'll rely on reviews for various material to pick the right one to help me strengthen weak areas.

Thanks!
P

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2019, 06:09
Glad you are following my advice. Feel free to reach out with further questions.

Good luck!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Club Bot
Re: 600 level questions too easy 700 level too difficult &nbs [#permalink] 19 Jan 2019, 06:09

600 level questions too easy 700 level too difficult

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: souvonik2k

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap