Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 22:09 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 22:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT Dhanbad
Own Kudos [?]: 589 [2]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Moderator - Masters Forum
Own Kudos [?]: 2148 [1]
Given Kudos: 276
GMAT 1: 460 Q42 V13
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Re: 600 to a 760 in 12 weeks [#permalink]
Kudos
plach3838 wrote:
How I jumped from a 600 to a 760 in 12 weeks!

Final Score: 760 (49Q 45V)

Studied over 150 hours, roughly 1 hour a day for 4 weeks, 2-3 hours a day for 8 weeks. Should have condensed this into an 8-week program but I had a ton of time and no set test date.

Resources: Manhattan Prep Strategy Guides
OG Guide
GMATClub

Journey:
I finished a MP Strategy Guide a week in chronological order, doing the practice quizzes along the way. I was given advice to do 50 practice questions a day. This became a burnout for me, and I instead panned out targeted practice quizzes for myself at the end of strategic reading.

I started Verbal practice questions really late, maybe only a month before the exam. This is where most of my improvement came from as it’s fairly easy to figure out a good method for RC, CR, and to an extent, SC (though its mostly intuition). I loved MP because the strategies for Quant and Verbal worked so well for me, but others have mixed reviews about the books.

I didn’t see much progress until I started making weekly homework for myself across all sections. I had three tutoring sessions with an MP tutor, who helped me shift my reviewing strategy: I switched from an Excel Error Log to a written one and used notecards for reminders about things like reading carefully, important equations, etc. THE WRITTEN ERROR LOG (as opposed to digital) WAS KEY FOR ME, IF YOU ARE A VISUAL LEARNER PLEASE CONSIDER. MP Tutoring was incredibly helpful because I got access to the MP interact videos and CATs. Highly recommend this if you have the means or if your company is paying for it.

As for OG Guide, I probably worked at a pace of 100 questions per week, supplemented with much tougher GMAT Club questions once I broke the 750 threshold.

Real Simulated CAT Scores (Gmat means Official Prep, MP means Manhattan Prep CAT)

Oct 27 (This was way before I started studying)
Gmat- 600

Nov 6 (After starting MP books)
Gmat-730

Dec 16
Gmat-680

Dec 26
MP- 660

Jan 3
Gmat-760

Jan 12
MP-700

Jan 18
Gmat-760

For CATs, MP tests are good for really tough quant, but I found that the GMAT Official Prep were the closest to the real thing.

Final weeks:

I studied from 8am-10am every morning, but otherwise relaxed with friends and got a ton of sleep. I did a CAT one and two weeks before the actual exam. Highly recommend getting into a sleep rhythm early on, but to each their own for test prep and test anxiety. Day of, I woke up early and ate a small breakfast, brought snacks to the testing center at 7:30 am. It went by so fast!

Breakthrough (Quant):

This came when I nailed down TIMING. I highly recommend the MP test prep pad, and read about how to divide up each page using timing benchmarks. After figuring out my strengths (rates, FDPs, algebra) and weaknesses (combinatorics), I was able to strategically skip questions and pace myself.

Breakthrough (Verbal):

This was all about anticipating answering choices for CR. Highly recommend reading this strategy in MP books.

...I know this is very general but feel free to PM for details.

Congrats on your great score. Thanks for sharing your success journey. It will motivate most of the GMAT aspirants. :thumbup:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
AsadAbu wrote:
Hi,
Congrats for your 99 percentile.
What's the split in your score?
Who was the ManhattanPrep instructor and how many hours did s/he taught you? Is it "private tutoring" or "9 online class"?
How many times did you take your real GMAT?
Thanks__

Hi Asad, my split is in my post- 49Q 45V

My tutor was Chris Peckover, he might have left Manhattan Prep actually but he was great. It was online tutoring. We did 3 2-hr sessions.

I only took one real GMAT.
plach3838 wrote:
AsadAbu wrote:
Hi,
Congrats for your 99 percentile.
What's the split in your score?
Who was the ManhattanPrep instructor and how many hours did s/he taught you? Is it "private tutoring" or "9 online class"?
How many times did you take your real GMAT?
Thanks__

Hi Asad, my split is in my post- 49Q 45V

My tutor was Chris Peckover, he might have left Manhattan Prep actually but he was great. It was online tutoring. We did 3 2-hr sessions.

I only took one real GMAT.

Thanks for your kind feedback.
What a verbal score! Are you Native-speaker?
Is the course *private tutoring* or *online course*?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37319 posts