GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 09 Dec 2018, 13:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • LBS/INSEAD/Cambridge R1 Admit is Here to Answer YOUR Questions!

December 09, 2018

December 09, 2018

06:00 AM PST

07:00 AM PST

One of our senior forum members, subirroy, recently got accepted at LBS, INSEAD, and Cambridge in Round 1. He accepted our invitation to share his insights about the application process, and answer the queries of applicants.
  • Personal MBA Coach’s Top 4 Tips For MBA Applicants

December 10, 2018

December 10, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Reflecting back on the tips I have provided again and again, I want to share my top 4 “words of wisdom” for MBA applicants.

650 (Q50 V27 IR7) non-traditional?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
650 (Q50 V27 IR7) non-traditional?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2018, 00:58
Hello,

I’m a non-traditional background (design/ fashion) and got a 650 (Q50, V27, IR7) on my second test. I have been studying for GMAT for 4-5 months (on and off) and wonder if i should give another shot or just move on other parts of application.

I know that 650 is not a great score to get into US top schools + Insead, but i am confident with my diverse backgrounds & work experiences. Moreover, my GMAT journey has been pretty consistently rough with great quant scores (range of 48-51) and very poor verbal scores (range of 22-28) on actual & mock-up tests. So i am not so sure how much i can improve on my verbal in short amount of time as i am planning to apply on R1 & R2 this year... Also, besides the fact that I’m not a native English speaker, language/ literature/ reading/ verbal aren’t my strongest forte even in my mother tongue. :( but i love & am good at math, even though i don’t have quant background.

As i was able to improve my score to 650 from my first test score 600 (Q49, V22, IR4), i believe i can improve more if i study longer & harder, but i also feel like i should strategize my application as a whole not just focus on GMAT.

Would you guys suggest me to take another one? Please share your thoughts. Thank you!
Senior PS Moderator
V
GPA: 3.12
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: 650 (Q50 V27 IR7) non-traditional?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2018, 01:43
Hey flyhigher

Welcome to GMATClub.

If you are targetting the top US B-Schools and INSEAD, I think the GMAT score is not going to suffice.
Just to put things into perspective, most of these schools have an average GMAT score of around 700
and even if you have a non-traditional background it will be very difficult to get into these schools.

I would recommend you to talk to students with a similar profile who have been offered admission into
your target schools in the last couple of years. Also, I am moving this topic to a more appropriate forum
and would request you to give more details on your work experience so that the admission consultants
can give you a more detailed evaluation.

Hope this helps you.

You've got what it takes, but it will take everything you've got

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: CBS
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V48
GPA: 3.6

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2018, 03:43
flyhigher wrote:
Hello,

I’m a non-traditional background (design/ fashion) and got a 650 (Q50, V27, IR7) on my second test. I have been studying for GMAT for 4-5 months (on and off) and wonder if i should give another shot or just move on other parts of application.

I know that 650 is not a great score to get into US top schools + Insead, but i am confident with my diverse backgrounds & work experiences. Moreover, my GMAT journey has been pretty consistently rough with great quant scores (range of 48-51) and very poor verbal scores (range of 22-28) on actual & mock-up tests. So i am not so sure how much i can improve on my verbal in short amount of time as i am planning to apply on R1 & R2 this year... Also, besides the fact that I’m not a native English speaker, language/ literature/ reading/ verbal aren’t my strongest forte even in my mother tongue. :( but i love & am good at math, even though i don’t have quant background.

As i was able to improve my score to 650 from my first test score 600 (Q49, V22, IR4), i believe i can improve more if i study longer & harder, but i also feel like i should strategize my application as a whole not just focus on GMAT.

Would you guys suggest me to take another one? Please share your thoughts. Thank you!

Yes, you want to take the GMAT again so that you can be in the middle to high part of the avg GMAT range for your targeted schools.
If these are top schools that will look like 700+.

Sincerely,
GettingInMBA
examPAL Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2018, 01:38
Hey flyhigher
as others here have noted, you probably do need to improve your score in order to get into top schools.
But the real question is what it would actually take for you to improve your verbal score (there's no point in just more f the same type of studying...)

Since English is not your mother tongue, if you’re aiming for a very high score, it may make sense for you spend time by working exclusively on your language skills before even officially beginning your study. Read a few books, watch a few movies, maybe even take English classes, and only then begin tackling GMAT materials.

When strategizing for the exam, however, more than basic skills are important for the Verbal section. It’s just as important to teach yourself the right way to approach each question. Many people, for example, make the mistake of reading all answer choices in all questions; with the clock running, you can’t afford to do this! Many Verbal questions are ones where all the relevant information is in the question itself, and you can use the PRECISE approach to answer the question directly, and avoid becoming confused by the answers. Other questions are those in which there is a general LOGICAL rule that can help answer the question quickly – reading all answers is a waste of time here as well. Only about a third of the questions are those in which it is necessary or preferable to go over all the answer choices (using the ALTERNATIVE approach). The trick is, of course, figuring out which question is which, and this requires concentrated study, checking not only whether you got the question right, but also whether you did so quickly and efficiently.

Hope this helps!

flyhigher wrote:
Hello,

GMAT Club Bot
Re: 650 (Q50 V27 IR7) non-traditional? &nbs [#permalink] 23 Aug 2018, 01:38

650 (Q50 V27 IR7) non-traditional?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap