GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Dec 2018, 21:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Happy Christmas 20% Sale! Math Revolution All-In-One Products!

December 20, 2018

December 20, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

This is the most inexpensive and attractive price in the market. Get the course now!
  • Key Strategies to Master GMAT SC

December 22, 2018

December 22, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Attend this webinar to learn how to leverage Meaning and Logic to solve the most challenging Sentence Correction Questions.

650 to 700, all thanks to GMATclub

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
G
Schools: ISB '20, NUS '21, NTU '20
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V38
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
650 to 700, all thanks to GMATclub  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2018, 04:19
I just came back from my center and I am still shaking in disbelief. The past 2 months have been crazy and I wouldn't be here without the support from this wonderful community.

Well, a little background about myself, I am working at EY as a consultant for the past 2 years. And I first started my preparation for GMAT in February 2018, I attended classes by CrackVerbal in Bangalore for 3 months and I gave my first shot on August 1.
I had been scoring in the range on 650-680 in my mocks, but I kept hoping that somehow I would be able to cross the 700 mark on the D-day ( wishful thinking :roll: ). During my first attempt, I realized a quite of few things; you are not allowed to wear a watch in the exam ( I am so used to wearing a watch all the time, I was taken aback a little, specially because we have to track the 8 min break), and you have to scan after your break is over and many other things as such.
Anyhow, during the first break, I exceeded the break time and lost 3 mins in verbal ( I was mentally screaming at myself at this point! ), and eventually ran out of time towards the end of the verbal section, guessed quite a few questions and I ended up with a 650 ( Q48, V31, IR6, AWA6). I was totally devastated as I realized I would be missing my R1 applications and I was in a fix to re-take the GMAT again or prepare for other MBA exams for Indian B-schools. After bawling my eyes out for hours, my mum and dad convinced me to give it another shot since I had already put in the time and effort. And right after my attempt I had my tickets to go meet my aunt in Hyderabad, and she knew somebody at ISB. So she asked me to go and visit ISB as this would help motivate me to do better. The campus was so beautiful and I fell in love with everything about that place, and I just knew I had to give my best shot again.

Now I work as an EWM (Extended warehouse management) consultant for a US based Client, and our project was going live in the first week of September and go on for 2 months, which meant I would be on weird shifts, working weekends, well, basically I could see my dream of achieving a 700 score drift away since I would not get enough time to prepare and work on my weak areas. I got my ESR and spoke to my mentors at CrackVerbal, and since I had exhausted my GMATprep mocks, I purchased the Manhattan Mocks.
And I had points to get a month of GMAT club tests. The first few weeks of August were difficult as I was not sure where to start again, but slowly I picked up pace and started solving questions everyday.

Most important thing I learnt from my first attempt -
Just maintaining an Error log is not enough, careful introspection of each question is extremely important. So I had a wonderful excel where on one sheet I could enter the Answer key, and on the main sheet I would solve and get to know how much time did I spend on the question and was it correct or not etc. Very fancy stuff, but all I did was solve questions in the first attempt. I have this problem where if I don't solve questions I feel that I have wasted my day, it's weird but this made me postpone analyzing my mistakes till it was too late.
This leads to your weak areas remaining your weak areas, and hence a stagnated score. So the second time around, I started with my old error logs. I went question by question ( mostly were OG and QR and VR questions), copied the question on my browser, got the link to gmatclub and solved it with the timer. I would then analyse the concept tested and move on.

Well, my go-live started and I was starting to panic as my first mock from Veritas (end of august) was a 670, and I was not happy. Plus I was not understanding when to book my slot as there were very few dates available in Bangalore. Eventually I booked my slot for October 5, as the slots were filling up fast and I didn't want to delay it more.

I was working from 2:30 pm to 11:30 pm so I got the mornings to study. I made it a habit to solve the RC's by workout. That was the first thing I did every morning, and solve every variety of question on this forum. I started solving all the questions Bunuel posted and looked around for posts which had GMATNinja 's explanations, I couldn't have done it without the help of this wonderful forum. My mocks were in the range of 680-730 during September.

Fast-forward to 3 days before to the exam, and I catch a terrible cold. At this point I can't even imagine re-scheduling and paying another 18k Rupees. I tell myself, it doesn't matter, just go ahead and not let stuffy nose bother you ( It unfortunately did bother me towards the end).
Well, I came out the exam hall shaking, not believing I managed to get a 700 ( Q47, V38), all thanks to you guys.

Though I do have a concern, in my first attempt I got a 6 in IR and for some reason today I got a 3 ( actually not some reason, my stuffy annoying nose was the reason). I was wondering how will this affect my applications? I knew I wasn't doing great in IR but I didn't expect a score as low as 3. Will my past record of 6 help me in any way? Please let me know, I am worried about my IR.

Sorry about the super long post and thanks to all of you again! :)
Attachments

File comment: Attaching the tracker that I had found online and made a few modifications to suit my needs.
Quants Main tracker (2).xlsm [401.03 KiB]
Downloaded 42 times

To download please login or register as a user

Please press Kudos if this helped :-)

“Going in one more round when you don't think you can, that's what makes all the difference in your life.”

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Strategy, Other
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V33
Re: 650 to 700, all thanks to GMATclub  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2018, 01:59
awesome score mate!! I remember you from workout's rc exercises.
my exam is lined up too (fingers crossed!)
keep us updated about your applications :)
Party Hard!!!
SC Moderator
P
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2018, 08:50
Many Congratulations Sreyoshi007, and all the best for your applications.

The few, the fearless !

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2018, 17:14
Congratulations on the awesome score, Sreyoshi007!

Quote:
Well, I came out the exam hall shaking, not believing I managed to get a 700 ( Q47, V38), all thanks to you guys.

Reading this absolutely made my day. A lot of people shake before, during, or after their exams -- and it's awesome whenever the shaking comes from a pleasant mix of joy and shock. :)

You earned every point of this, and I wish you all the best for your applications. Let us know where you end up!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2018, 00:31
GMATNinja wrote:
Congratulations on the awesome score, Sreyoshi007!

Quote:

Reading this absolutely made my day. A lot of people shake before, during, or after their exams -- and it's awesome whenever the shaking comes from a pleasant mix of joy and shock. :)

You earned every point of this, and I wish you all the best for your applications. Let us know where you end up!

GMATNinja Thank you so much and I can't explain how helpful all your posts and YouTube videos were to my preparation.
I will definitely keep you posted on where I end up :)

“Going in one more round when you don't think you can, that's what makes all the difference in your life.”

Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2018, 00:33
Gagoosh wrote:
awesome score mate!! I remember you from workout's rc exercises.
my exam is lined up too (fingers crossed!)
keep us updated about your applications :)
Party Hard!!!

Thank you so much Gagoosh! All the very best for your exam, I am sure you will rock it :)

Yes, I will post an update on my applications once I'm through! :grin:

GMAT Club Bot
650 to 700, all thanks to GMATclub &nbs [#permalink] 14 Oct 2018, 00:33

650 to 700, all thanks to GMATclub

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, EMPOWERgmatRichC, bb

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap