GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Oct 2019, 13:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

660 in 8 weeks - 700 retake after 2

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Schools: Jones '21 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
660 in 8 weeks - 700 retake after 2  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 20 Apr 2019, 13:27
Hello!

I usually never share my experience but in this particular case I thought it was due.

I decided to pursue my application very last minute at the beginning of January and never heard of gmat so I signed up for an intensive Manhattan prep online course (note: way too expensive for what they are) and started it the 4th week of January with the exam date after exactly 8 weeks.
The course lasted 5 weeks and therefore I was left with a little over 3 weeks to refine everything on my own.
Manhattan prep books are really good but I am not sure that the course itself adds much value apart from having a defined schedule that helps in having a study plan.
My preparation for the gmat was full time and I studied an average of 5 hours per day, 5 days per week -> 200 hours.

during the 2 months before the exam I took many cat (both from the OG and from Manhattan prep) and my scores improved slightly from one to the following, but always far from my 700 goal:

I sat at the exam not knowing what to expect - surprisingly, even thought checks they do before the exam can put a lot of pressure, I was able to manage stress and time, letting go many questions - it also helped the fact that I had already booked to retake it after 2,5 weeks.

got a 660 - you can imagine how happy I was given that it was the highest ever (Q42, V38) and also since I had already given up my initial goal.

After first attempt i submitted my application and focused on that only - aiming at doing only some timed sets in the 3/4 days before my retake

just 3 days before the retake I got notified that I had gotten my interview for my top choice program so I sat to retake very relaxed - it felt like something I needed to get over with as I had already paid and with the only goal of doing it for the sake of it

-----> 700 (Q48, V37)

+40 in 16 days - studying 15 hours

my take aways:
  • sit with a "don't give a f***" attitude
  • do at least a retake - first time you get to know your "enemy" and book second before taking first!
  • don't get stressed by the result you NEED to get - the best out of you will pop up!
  • let go when you need to
  • it is better to take time to let the info sit rather than trying to have everything under control
  • also listen to your guts when answering!

Best of luck!!

Originally posted by bionda00 on 13 Apr 2019, 12:04.
Last edited by bionda00 on 20 Apr 2019, 13:27, edited 5 times in total.
Manager
Manager
S
WE: Marketing (Real Estate)
Re: 660 in 8 weeks - 700 retake after 2  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2019, 21:35
Congrats on the great score bionda00 !!

Best of luck for the interviews!
V
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2019, 08:12
Congratulations on entering the 700 clubs, and thank you for sharing your experience. I hope you get an admit to the school of your choice - all the best.

New to GMAT Club or overwhelmed with so many resources? Follow the GMAT Club Study Plan!
Not happy with your GMAT score? Retaking GMAT Strategies!
Director
Director
V
GMAT 1: 460 Q42 V13
GPA: 3.6

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2019, 10:09
bionda00 wrote:
Hello!

I usually never share my experience but in this particular case I thought it was due.

I decided to pursue my application very last minute at the beginning of January and never heard of gmat so I signed up for an intensive Manhattan prep online course (note: way too expensive for what they are) and started it the 4th week of January with the exam date after exactly 8 weeks.
The course lasted 5 weeks and therefore I was left with a little over 3 weeks to refine everything on my own.
MP books are really good but I am not sure that the course itself adds much value apart from having a defined schedule that helps in having a study plan.
My preparation for the gmat was full time and I studied an average of 5 hours per day, 5 days per week -> 200 hours.

during the 2 months before the exam I took many cat (both from the OG and from MP) and my scores improved slightly from one to the following, but always far from my 700 goal:
    580 (Q 38, V31) MP
    590 (Q43, V28) OG
    610 (Q38, V35) MP
    640 (Q38, V38) MP
    650 (Q43, V36) MP
    580 (Q45, V25) OG
    650 (Q42, V37) MP

I sat at the exam not knowing what to expect - surprisingly, even thought checks they do before the exam can put a lot of pressure, I was able to manage stress and time letting go many questions - it also helped the fact that I had already booked to retake it after 2,5 weeks.

got a 660 - you can imagine how happy I was given that it was the highest ever (Q42, V38) and also giving that I had already given up my initial goal.

After first attempt i submitted my application and focused on that only - aiming at doing only some timed sets in the 3/4 days before my retake

just 3 days before the retake I got notified that I had gotten my interview for my top choice program so I set to retake very relaxed - it felt like something I needed to get over with as I had already paid and with the only goal of doing it for the sake of it

-----> 700 (Q48, V37)

+40 in 16 days - studying 15 hours

my take aways:
  • sit with a "don't give a f***" attitude
  • do at least a retake - first time you get to know your "enemy" and book second before taking first!
  • don't get stressed by the result you NEED to get - the best out of you will pop up!
  • let go when you need to
  • it is better to take time to let the info sit rather than trying to have everything under control
  • also listen to your guts when answering!

Best of luck!!

Congrats on your score. Thanks for sharing your GMAT journey. All the for your interview :thumbup:
GMAT Club Bot
Re: 660 in 8 weeks - 700 retake after 2   [#permalink] 14 Apr 2019, 10:09

660 in 8 weeks - 700 retake after 2

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics