GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 06 Dec 2019, 10:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

670 score despite 720 average in 4 official mock exams

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
670 score despite 720 average in 4 official mock exams  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2019, 09:37
Hi,

in preparation for the GMAT I took 4 official practice exams and scored between 690-750 with an average of 722. However, when I took actual GMAT 2 weeks ago, I got a mere 670 (Q45, V38). During the test I felt the questions were way more difficult and I barely finished in time, although I often had 3-5 minutes spare during the mock tests. Generally, I am a good test taker and also did not feel too nervous so that I thought well, probably the actual test is just harder. However, after reading a bit on this forum, I realized the official practice exams seem to be pretty representative of a candidate's true potential. Today, I gave another mock test a try and even without studying in the past two weeks, I got a 730 again.
How can this huge discrepancy be explained? Was is just bad luck on the test day?
Director
Director
V
GMAT 1: 460 Q42 V13
GPA: 3.6
Re: 670 score despite 720 average in 4 official mock exams  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2019, 09:50
mat2089119 wrote:
Hi,

in preparation for the GMAT I took 4 official practice exams and scored between 690-750 with an average of 722. However, when I took actual GMAT 2 weeks ago, I got a mere 670 (Q45, V38). During the test I felt the questions were way more difficult and I barely finished in time, although I often had 3-5 minutes spare during the mock tests. Generally, I am a good test taker and also did not feel too nervous so that I thought well, probably the actual test is just harder. However, after reading a bit on this forum, I realized the official practice exams seem to be pretty representative of a candidate's true potential. Today, I gave another mock test a try and even without studying in the past two weeks, I got a 730 again.
How can this huge discrepancy be explained? Was is just bad luck on the test day?

Hope your exam anxiety led to getting a low score in quant.
Director
Director
V
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.67
WE: Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2019, 11:12
Hi mat2089119

You are not alone. From reading several debriefs and mock test experiences, I recognized that the official guide tests are the easiest and candidates may experience 40 points deviation from the mock test.

Don't worry, Test takers usually achieve a better score in their second attempt.

Try mock tests from MGMAT, veritas GMAT, GMAT prep, and GMATclub. They provide better anticipation of your real level.

this article is so helpful to guide your in your next steps and highlight things that may had lowered your score:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/blog/official-gmat-score-lower-practice-test-scores/
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2019, 12:12
Hi mat2089119,

When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. Before we discuss any of those potential issues though, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) On what dates did you take EACH of your CATs and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your goal score?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
6) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2019, 12:17
Mahmoudfawzy83 wrote:
Hi

You are not alone. From reading several debriefs and mock test experiences, I recognized that the official guide tests are the easiest and candidates may experience 40 points deviation from the mock test.

Don't worry, Test takers usually achieve a better score in their second attempt.

Try mock tests from MGMAT, veritas GMAT, GMAT prep, and GMATclub. They provide better anticipation of your real level.

this article is so helpful to guide your in your next steps and highlight things that may had lowered your score:

How does it then come that all the others are saying the official mock tests provide the most accurate results, even the article in the link you posted says so?
Intern
Intern
670 score despite 720 average in 4 official mock exams  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2019, 13:12
Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
20 hours/week for one month
2) What study materials have you used so far?
Official Guides, questions in this forum
3) On what dates did you take EACH of your CATs and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
Feb 18 -> 740: Q48, V42
Feb 21 -> 690: Q47, V38
Feb 22 -> 730: Q47, V42
Feb 25 -> 750: Q49, V44
Feb 26 -> Actual GMAT 670: Q45, V37
Mar 18 -> 730: Q48, V42

Goals:
4) What is your goal score?
700+
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
As soon as possible
6) What Schools are you planning to apply to?
I don't know why this is relevant, but to different master programs in Europe.

Unfortunately, I don't really have more time to practice. But since I scored 730 again today, I am thinking of just giving the actual test another try in a few days. Do you think it's worth it?
CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2019, 21:29
mat2089119 wrote:
How does it then come that all the others are saying the official mock tests provide the most accurate results, even the article in the link you posted says so?
The official practice tests are the most accurate, but they are not perfect. Neither is the GMAT, for that matter. Both the actual test and the practice tests try to produce good estimates of your "ability level", but keep in mind that they will never be more than estimates. They do however, indicate very strongly that you are capable of a better score than 670.

Have you considered purchasing the ESR for this attempt?
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2019, 18:55
Hi mat2089119,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. Believe it or not, your situation is quite common. Many test-takers score higher on their official practice exams than they do on their official GMAT.

Given that you studied for only a month (only doing practice questions, really) and admit that the questions on your exam “seemed way more difficult,” it’s possible that you had many weaknesses that were exposed on your actual GMAT. In an ideal world, I’d recommend that you keep studying until you have sufficiently addressed your quant and verbal weaknesses; however, you mentioned that you don’t have much more time to practice. Does that mean that your application is due in the next few days?

Feel free to reach out with further questions.

Good luck!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2019, 20:46
Hi mat2089119,

Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so if you've really been studying for just 1 month, then it's likely that you just have not put in enough time and effort yet to have honed the necessary skills to have scored higher on the Official GMAT yet.

In addition, the process of taking (and reviewing) a CAT requires a significant amount of energy and effort - and takes time to 'recover' from. This is one of the reasons why you typically shouldn't take more than 1 CAT per week - and your last CAT should be taken about 1 week before Test Day. By taking 4 CATs in the week before your Official GMAT, there's a reasonable chance that you experienced some 'burn out' on Test Day. Even if you didn't "feel" tired, the fact that BOTH your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores dropped certainly makes it sound as if you were not at your best.

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Considering your Official Score - and your overall performances on your CATs - there's a reasonably chance that you could score 700+ on the GMAT right now. It's also possible that you've taken your CATs in an unrealistic fashion that has led to 'inflated' results - and if that's the case, then you'll need time to continue to hone your Quant and Verbal skills AND properly train for the exact parameters of Test Day.

The reason I asked about your timeline and Goals is because the Score that you "want" and the Score that you "need" to get into your first-choice School might not be the same thing. A 670/Q45 is a strong Score, so a retest might not be necessary.

1) What are the exact application deadlines for the Programs that you're interested in?
2) What is the minimum GMAT Score that you would apply with?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2019, 22:55
mat2089119 wrote:
Mahmoudfawzy83 wrote:
Hi

Yes, it is generally believed that the official practice tests are the most accurate. But it is also true that people often see a lower score in their actual test. (Say, a Veritas practice test score may actually be closer to your official score)
And this is how we can explain this paradox: https://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2013/0 ... bal-score/

Hope this helps!

And here is a free Veritas practice test for you to try out to test this hypothesis: https://www.veritasprep.com/gmat/free-g ... tice-test/
:)

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
GMAT Club Bot
Re: 670 score despite 720 average in 4 official mock exams   [#permalink] 19 Mar 2019, 22:55

670 score despite 720 average in 4 official mock exams

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep