Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:45 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Other, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V40
WE:Science (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.83
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1209 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Other, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V40
WE:Science (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Re: 690 (Q44 V40 IR8)disapointed debrief, suggestions comments apprecited [#permalink]
Kudos
andymann wrote:
Hi nachobioteck, well 690 is a really good score, placing you right at the 90th percentile overall. I would say you did a really good job. Best wishes in case you decide to retake the GMAT.
I was wondering if you can you guide about your verbal preparation? Any strategies for tackling SC,CR and RC?
I felt that SC's were really tough during my official GMAT test.
How did the real GMAT verbal feel compared to the mock tests? Any specific mock tests you preferred?

Thanks a lot,
Andy

Hi Andy,

My verbal preparation wasn't much to be honest, RC and CR were not to difficult for me probably because I have to do lots of critical reading for my job, which can be quite technical many times and in fields I am not an expert. But really the key factors in CR are being able to identify assumptions and conclusion. Most of the stregthen weakens target the assumptions, if your choice tells that the assumption is wrong then the argument is weakened, if it corraborates the assumption it stregthen.

Most of my prep focused on SC, and I found that the most important parts are, identifying the subject of the sentence (Who is doing what), and what things are being compared ennumerated (in comparisson and parallelism they always have to be of the same nature). Once you have this to things down, I found that the easiest way to answer is not actually looking for the right answer, but looking for the incorrect ones. Most SC choices have a verb subject agreement problem, or errors in comparissons and parallelism. In that way you can always narrow down to 2-3 choices were you can dig deeper (in the case of the hard ones) but in the easy/medium questions eliminating choices is usually enough to find the right answer.

And yes, I did think the problems in Verbal in the actual test were more difficult than the ones the prep test.
---

As for the prep test, each of them had pros/cons. The pros of the Kaplan is that the interface is identical to what you will find in the actual test, but I think the questions are on the easy side. Veritas has a good level of questions, and it gives you a nice analysis of your performance. Finally the official preps the questions are in line with what you would get, but the IR was exactly the same for both!!!!

On my next phase I think I will do the 3 Kaplans that I have left, maybe purchase and do the two extra official ones, I might buy the veritas ones, depending on how I'm looking in terms of time.

Hope it helps :)
GMAT Club Bot
Re: 690 (Q44 V40 IR8)disapointed debrief, suggestions comments apprecited [#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37312 posts