GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Dec 2018, 01:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • 10 Keys to nail DS and CR questions

December 17, 2018

December 17, 2018

06:00 PM PST

07:00 PM PST

Join our live webinar and learn how to approach Data Sufficiency and Critical Reasoning problems, how to identify the best way to solve each question and what most people do wrong.
  • R1 Admission Decisions: Estimated Decision Timelines and Chat Links for Major BSchools

December 17, 2018

December 17, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

From Dec 5th onward, American programs will start releasing R1 decisions. Chat Rooms: We have also assigned chat rooms for every school so that applicants can stay in touch and exchange information/update during decision period.

690 (Q47 V38): My experience

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
Reviews Badge
690 (Q47 V38): My experience  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2018, 05:03
I started studying in August to apply to master programs starting in 2019. Like many people, I picked up the Manhattan set. They are good books and I would highly recommend them, especially the quant ones. I went through all the OG books after learning the material from Manhattan and scored a 630 on my gmatprep. I knew I would be satisfied with a 650 so I went ahead and took the real thing. Instead of scoring 20 points more, I scored 10 less and ended up with a 620 (q45 v31). I found the score to be a little weird since the quant score I got was my highest ever while my verbal was the lowest ever. After the 620, I knew I needed some help outside of books but also did not want to spend a lot of money. However, I ended up getting the empowerGMAT course ($85 for the first month and $99 for the next), gmatprep exam pack 3&4 ($40 through a deal), and a Kaplan book for more tests ($25). Oh yeah and the $250 for the GMAT retake. Yikes.

I paced my self to finish the course in 6 weeks so it lines up with my retake date. Overall, the course helped me the most with test-taking strategy and how to set up the work in the verbal section. In quant the best tip I found was to get all the answerable questions, dump the really hard ones. The ones you dump actually have to be considered hard by the test. These, for me, were crazy inscribed geometry and crazy combination problems. I knew I that half of the times I would get them wrong and even if I got them correct, it would take me 3 mins or more. For verbal, I found knowing how to approach each question type, even types of questions within SC, RC, and CR, gave me a lot of confidence. Knowing each type of question is highly beneficial even for native speakers. I found the course to be much more useful than the books I used, not to say that the books are bad. I got a 690 (q47 v38) which is much better than the 650 I wanted at the minimum. Give it your best you guys and keep working hard!

Some additional info: I got a 690 on my gmatprep with 1 point higher quant and 1 point lower verbal. That 690 was my highest score on the official practice tests. I found Kaplan scores so be in the same ballpark as official tests but the verbal score is absolutely inflated. My diagnostic was around 450 (yup).
Rice (Jones) Thread Master
B
Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
690 (Q47 V38): My experience  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2018, 06:50
grindanyway Congratulations on your score improvement. Empowergmat seem to be the best out there. Wish I found them earlier in my prep. I will like to send you a PM but I couldn't. Approximately how many hours did you put in per day in the 6 weeks before your retake?

Best wishes with your applications.

Cheers!
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge
Re: 690 (Q47 V38): My experience  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2018, 07:41
funsogu Thank you! I studied around 4 hours a day to complete the Total Score Booster plan while doing some extra questions in the Quant and Verbal OG books. I am assuming closer to 2.5 hrs and 3 hrs were spent with 100% focus. One week was a bit lax with around 2 hrs of studying but I managed to keep on track with the plan and was able to finish it with some extra time remaining to review some sections again.
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2018, 07:49
Thanks for your response grindanyway. Did you disable your PM? I don't know if that is possible on gmatclub. I have some additional questions but can't PM you.

Best wishes!

grindanyway wrote:
funsogu Thank you! I studied around 4 hours a day to complete the Total Score Booster plan while doing some extra questions in the Quant and Verbal OG books. I am assuming closer to 2.5 hrs and 3 hrs were spent with 100% focus. One week was a bit lax with around 2 hrs of studying but I managed to keep on track with the plan and was able to finish it with some extra time remaining to review some sections again.
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2018, 08:02
funsogu Oops, it's enabled now.
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2018, 08:38
grindanyway Thanks. I just messaged you.

grindanyway wrote:
funsogu Oops, it's enabled now.
Director
Director
P
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2018, 08:56
Congratulations!! Thats a solid score.

So glad to hear good reviews about EmpowerGMAT course, i recently started the course & cannot agree more with you.

Cheers!
GyM

New to GMAT Club - https://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-gmat-club-need-help-271131.html#p2098335

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2018, 22:25
Hi grindanyway,

First off, a 690/Q47 is a fantastic score (it's right around the 85th percentile overall), so you can comfortably apply to any Schools that interest you. Your overall improvement from a 450 to a 690 is also an amazing achievement - and it shows that you have the capacity to learn and implement new ideas (which is a skill that will serve you well in Business School and beyond!).

1) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
2) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

Congrats again on all of your success so far!

Another GMAT Assassin has been made!
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

GMAT Club Bot
Re: 690 (Q47 V38): My experience &nbs [#permalink] 27 Nov 2018, 22:25

690 (Q47 V38): My experience

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, EMPOWERgmatRichC, bb

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap