GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Sep 2018, 03:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

710(Q44/V42) to 660(Q48/V32) to 720 (Q47/V42)!!!!!! *UPDATE*

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V42
GMAT 2: 660 Q48 V32
GMAT 3: 720 Q47 V42
Premium Member
710(Q44/V42) to 660(Q48/V32) to 720 (Q47/V42)!!!!!! *UPDATE*  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 08 Sep 2018, 14:34
*UPDATE*

So I just got back from the test center with glowing results 720 (Q47/V42)!!

After a 710 with subpar Quant good Verbal, and 660 with Subpar Verbal and good Quant, I was incredibly frustrated and documented my experience below. After that test, I went back to the grindstone by doing the following:

Quant
-Utilizing GMAT Focus Questions: You can take GMAT Focus up to 4 times without seeing any repeats. The 24-question tests are computer adaptive and adhere very closely to actual GMAT content. I highly recommend these tests as a source of questions with the caveat that there isn't too much in the way of Coordinate Geometry and no Geometry questions? (Weird, I know). Go over these after you've taken the exam
-Using GMATQuantum's GMATPrep questions database: Although I had used this resource extensively prior to my first two attempts, going over questions whether I got them right or wrong over and over again and reviewing Dabral's accompanying video explanations for every single problem helped me stay sharp.
-Using Dabral's curated collection of AMC Math problems on GMAT Quantum: On the GMATQuantum website, Dabral has curated a set of extremely difficult questions from the American Mathematics Contest which can be solved using GMAT concepts. These problems are incredibly challenging and will help boost you to the next level without question.

Verbal
-Sentence Correction: I'm pretty strong in SC, and a native speaker so I practiced using GMATPrep, Magoosh, and Manhattan Prep materials somewhat haphazardly. Also, Magoosh's SC videos are quite good if you need to start from the basics
-RC and CR: USE LSAT MATERIAL!!!!!!! I can't emphasize enough just how helpful this has been for these 2 question types. RC passages will give you a workout no matter how advanced you are, and the Logical Reasoning/Critical Reasoning questions require extremely careful thinking required of GMAT CR. Echoing GMATNinja's (whose explanations on Verbal are all incredible by the way, his posts are another important go-to resource) discussion about the efficacy of using LSAT for GMAT, the LSAT Logical Reasoning uses language in a way that's a fair bit tighter than the GMAT, and GMAT CR question correct responses tend to leave a wider logical gap connecting premises to conclusions than LSAT LR questions do, but the sheer number of psychometrically valid questions in a format that approximates the GMAT at the higher end of the Verbal difficulty scale makes LSAT material also indispensable. LSAT RC questions tend to be a little less Science-focused, but the level of detail in the passages combined with their length makes them ideally suited for working through in preparation for the GMAT. If GMAT RC passages are a thick forest to get lost in, working on LSAT RC questions will put fuel in your flamethrower.

I'm going to hit the bar right now, but I'm happy to chat on this thread about my 6-month/1 year long journey to 720 as someone not particularly good at standardized tests.

If I can do it, you can too.

Hi everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm an Ivy League Econ Major 3.6 GPA URM Native English Speaker. Somewhat lacking in quant background.

About a year ago I became interested in potentially pursuing an MBA in the somewhat near future, so I decided to begin studying for the GMAT.

At first from about July-December, I relied on a trifecta of Magoosh, Target Test Prep, and the OG materials.

There were benefits and drawbacks to each of these 3 sets of study resources:

Target - Solid interface, broke learning into digestable modules and provided video explnations to many many of its practice problems. While I made some serious learning gains through Target, the ongoing expense combined with the fact that the pedagogy didn't focus on strengthening lacking fundamentals ultimately led me to conclude that it was not right for me. I believe many will find TTP helpful, but for someone who was struggling to understand how to even begin convoluted 700-Level problems it was not right for me at the time. Target Test Prep teaches and hones various skillsets that can be used to tackle many GMAT problems quickly and efficiently, but I needed a more nuanced understandimg of the underlying theory in order to get to the next level.

Magoosh - Super cheap, and plenty helpful for verbal and its Q+V question bank and video lessons, but I needed something a little more in-depth to help me get where I needed with Quant.

OG - I made the HUGE mistake of burning through OG material early in my prep. Handle your OG books with care as this is an incredibly valuable source of questions not to be approached lightly. There is an underlying elegance to official problems that no third party can replicate!!! The questions in the OG (many of which are certainly easier than what appears on the actual exam) test reasoning skills in a very very similar way to what can be found on the actual exam. While any given OG problem may not look exactly look like what you may see, I guarantee you that every full exam will test concepts that can be learned by mastering OG questions easy/medium/hard. The way that the problems 'unfold' is exactly like what you may see on the exam.

In January of this year, sensing that understanding the OG was the key to cracking the code, I sought out a resource which would help me work with the OG: enter Dabral of GMATQuantum.

It's a shame that more people don't know about his site. The course costs are reasonably affordable, and in addition to full video lessons on pretty much every concept that will appear on the GMAT, he provides FULL video explanations to his expertly self-drafted problems which reinforce the lessons of his concept videos, which stress learning the underlying algebraic logic of any/every problem so that you have a flexible, 'general approach' that can be tailored to any question. Every chapter comes with corresponding homework from the OG which familiarizes you with the actual language and expectations of the testmakers. This is all in addition to video explantions for EVERY OG/Quant OG problem, EVERY GMAT PREP, EP1, EP2, QP1, GMATFOCUS, and Paper Test problem. Holy Cow! Without Dabral's help there is absolutely no way I could have gotten to a respectable Q48. (more on this later)

Over the months, I studied on GMAT Quantum for quant, Magoosh for Verbal, getting 47Q/41V on average on my GMAT Prep mocks. However, because of time constraints I was not able to take any exams in full, instead taking sections individually as time allowed.

I had initially planned on taking the first test in late May, however work obligations forced me to reschedule 2 weeks earlier just 2 days before the test! In Mid-May I went to the test center super relaxed, knowing my first attempt could be a Mulligan, but I walked out with a 710 a total score that was reasonably satisfying, but a score split that could spell trouble in admissions: Q44/V42

I was absolutely distraught by the result as I had dramatically underperformed in Quant! Chalking this up to nerves/unfamiliarity with the exam process. I took the exam again yesterday 6/23/18 hoping for a similar score with a more even score split, and I walk out with 660 Q48/V32....This result was another shock! I had never scored below 40 on Verbal nor higher than 47 on quant in my mocks. Prior to my second test, I had made sure to devote equal time to studying both quant and verbal as I specifically wanted to avoid this predicament....the week prior to the exam I took a Verbal practice test and scored a 41, so I figured I was in a good spot...apparently not. Waiting on my ESR to figure out what exactly went wrong.

I definitely want to do a third retake as it is clear that I have the knowledge necessary to hit 720-730 with a well-balanced score split. It's very much just a matter of putting it all together.

In the meantime, does anybody have any advice about how to proceed? Are there any Verbal resources you would recommend in addition to the forum? I seriously wouldn't mind sitting for a retake for a third, fourth or fifth time. My 2 scores are cancelled so they will not show up on any external score report. My only concern is that some schools like Booth and Columbia ask about number of GMAT attempts on applications and look down upon more than 3 attempts. How many other top programs ask this question? I would take a lot of solace in knowing I still have 6 lifetime attempts to crack this nut.

Takeaways: The GMAT Black Box for scoring is wild. For Quant GMATQuantum deserves recognition along with the big boys of the prep world.

Thank you for your consideration!!

Originally posted by stideshighdives on 08 Sep 2018, 13:14.
Last edited by stideshighdives on 08 Sep 2018, 14:34, edited 1 time in total.
Magoosh Discount Codese-GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.6
WE: Analyst (Transportation)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: 710(Q44/V42) to 660(Q48/V32) to 720 (Q47/V42)!!!!!! *UPDATE*  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2018, 14:30
Hey buddy,

just saw you posting on the chat.

I am always super happy to see hard work paying off, thus it delights me to see that your efforts and dedication paid off.
And retaking the test after a 710 takes some serious dedication.

All the best with your applications my friend!

Best regards,
Chris

A couple of things that helped me in verbal:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/verbal-strategies-268700.html#p2082192

Gmat Prep CAT #1: V42, Q34, 630
Gmat Prep CAT #2: V46, Q35, 660
Gmat Prep CAT #3: V41, Q42, 680

On the mission to improve my quant score, all help is appreciated! :)

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V42
GMAT 2: 660 Q48 V32
GMAT 3: 720 Q47 V42
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2018, 14:37
Thanks so much, bud! Greatly appreciated.

My PM's are always open.

I've probably spent 100's of hours studying to get to this point....hard work pays off.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
V
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2018, 20:49
stideshighdives Congratulations on 720 Score!!!

आत्मनॊ मोक्षार्थम् जगद्धिताय च

Resource: GMATPrep RCs With Solution

GMAT Club Bot
Re: 710(Q44/V42) to 660(Q48/V32) to 720 (Q47/V42)!!!!!! *UPDATE* &nbs [#permalink] 11 Sep 2018, 20:49

710(Q44/V42) to 660(Q48/V32) to 720 (Q47/V42)!!!!!! *UPDATE*

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, bb, EMPOWERgmatRichC

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT
HOT DEALS FOR SEPTEMBER
e-GMAT: Free 30 day Access! 25+ Video Lessons | 400+ Practice Questions | 7 Free Webinars
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL Full GMAT video course - Save 10%
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap