GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Nov 2018, 10:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • How to QUICKLY Solve GMAT Questions - GMAT Club Chat

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

The reward for signing up with the registration form and attending the chat is: 6 free examPAL quizzes to practice your new skills after the chat.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

November 20, 2018

November 20, 2018

06:00 PM EST

07:00 PM EST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

730 on Gmat Prep and 650 on Real Gmat - need help

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Premium Member
730 on Gmat Prep and 650 on Real Gmat - need help  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 06 Sep 2018, 02:48
Hi,

I am writing to get your advices and opinion on my current issue.
I am a non-native English speaker and I have been preparing for the GMAT for the last 5 month pretty intensively, please find below the chronology of my study:

1. 2 months only OG questions – then First GMAT PREP: 620
2. 1 months all the Manhattan Books – then Second GMAT PREP: 640. I realized I could reach q 48/49 with the previous material but I was still far away on my verbal – roughly Q 30.
3. 1 month – Enroll on E-Gmat courses Verbal only: The course was pretty amazing and I really learned a lot.
4. 1 month practice on test + OG questions + Egmat questions:
a. Retake GMAT PREP 1: 740
b. Retake GMAT PREP 2: 770
c. GMAT PREP 3: 740 (q48, v42)
d. GMAT PREP 4: 690 (q48, v42)
e. GMAT PREP 5: 690 (q47, v37)
f. GMAT PREP 6: 730(q49, v41)

Most of my mistakes were pretty silly on the Quant on the first 10 which was pushing me down below the Q50.
The verbal was always the same : few mistakes on the RC, 1 or 0 in CR, and then SC which varies from 2/3 to 4/5.
The SC is clearly my weakness and I practice all the question of OG Guide verbal 2018 plus OG 2018 + all the questions from EGMAT so roughly 600/700 questions and my accuracy was above 80% after the egmat course.

I went confidently to the test last Tuesday and scored a miserable 650: Q44, V35. I worked a lot before to go to the test and did one text the day before. So one can argue that I was “tired” but I am very skeptical. Indeed, I started with the AWA IR QUANT VERBAL, and I still scored 8/8 on IR.

I was completely choked with the question in math – very different than what I what been working on. And I did silly mistake as well, at least for the first 10.
Regarding the verbal, CR and RC was business as usual but I think SC was a blood bath, literally couldn’t find any pattern with the question, and couldn’t apply grammatical rules.

I am waiting the ESR to confirm all that and will attach it once I received.

So R2 are coming soon and i need to get this 720 minimum: I am planning to pass the test end of September again.

For the math i am planning to do 20+ gmat club test to get out of my comfort zone and be prepare for the next D-Day + get this Q50.

Regarding verbal, I need advice: I have exhausted all the Egmat questions, and all the 2018 questions. I scored above 80% and i was confident before the test. So what can i do in the next 3 weeks to re-build my confidence and practice to improve?

I think about working on all the previous SC question from OG 2017 TIL 2000..
Read 2/3 RC per day to keep improving my vocabulary and my efficiency - 4/5 hard a day.

If you have any advice - please let me know - thanks for your help,

PS 1: I have not come across one debrief that had the same issue that I have - Is my situation exceptional ?

Originally posted by stevenb28 on 05 Sep 2018, 17:42.
Last edited by stevenb28 on 06 Sep 2018, 02:48, edited 1 time in total.
e-GMAT Representative
G
Re: 730 on Gmat Prep and 650 on Real Gmat - need help  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2018, 23:59
Hi stevenb28

I am sorry that your test scores were not in line with your expected scores. Since you are e-GMAT student, I would request you to send us an email using your registered id on support@e-gmat.com. Please do not forget to reference this post. Looking at your data from course dashboard and Scholaranium will help us in giving you precise inputs for the way forward.

Looking forward to your email.

Regards,
Aditee

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Intern
Intern
B
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2018, 03:24
Hi Payal,

I emailed EGMAT at the address you mentioned at 00.01 NYC time to get as well your insight. You will see that i practice all the egmat SC questions. Please bear in mind when analyzing the data that there are skewed as most of the attempts were done done at work. Therefore, the timing is not representative and some questions were not answer for some attempts.

I finally have my ESR which I just attached. My guess was well founded.

For Verbal:
RC - BAU: My score is equivalent to V41
CR - Score equivalent to V40: still have room for improvement: I have 60% under analyze and critique: What types of question is it exactly? I will practice couples a day before the next exam
SC - the blood bath - score equivalent to V28

For Quant:

Very interesting: I have 0% under rates/percent and 40% under Geometry so I guess I have to work this specific areas. I will used GMATCLUB question but if any people have any advices for this specific area I am happy to receive it.

If you see any more stuff- please do not hesitate to share,
Thanks again for your help, this is much appreciated,
Attachments

St_ESR.pdf [475.37 KiB]
Downloaded 62 times

To download please login or register as a user

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2018, 12:46
Hi stevenb28,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. If you can answer a few questions, then we should be able to figure this out:

When you took your CATs:
1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take them at home?
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as when you plan to take your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE (re: on a prior CAT, in an online forum or in a practice set)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Intern
Intern
B
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2018, 12:54
1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)? Yes
2) Did you take them at home? Yes
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as when you plan to take your Official GMAT? Yes
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)? No
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE (re: on a prior CAT, in an online forum or in a practice set)? Apart for the 2 retake that I did on GMAT PREP 1 and 2 no.

I did work a lot before the exam – took 4 days off and roughly did 10 hours of study/day + mock the day before.
Not sure what happened to be fairly honest. It is clearly link to my understanding since SC and rates/percents on quant (mainly word problem I assume) went wrongly.

Thanks for your help Rich,
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2018, 20:12
Hi stevenb28,

From your prior post, there were some 'red flags' in terms of how you took your CATs. Before we discuss those issues - and the data in your ESR - I have a few additional questions about the lead-up to Test Day and Test Day itself:

1) What did you do in the 3 days before your GMAT?
2) How did you sleep the night before your Test?
3) How long was the ride to the Test Center from your home?
4) Were there any distractions at the facility or during the Test?
5) What did you do during the two 8-minute breaks?
6) Did you finish any sections early?
7) Did you have to rush to finish any sections (and guess on questions just to finish on time)?

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

Intern
Intern
B
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2018, 06:18
1) What did you do in the 3 days before your GMAT? D-1: took a test + additional questions ; D-2: review log errors questions for 8 hours ; D-3: take a test + log errors question review
2) How did you sleep the night before your Test? not well 4 hours
3) How long was the ride to the Test Center from your home? 30 min
4) Were there any distractions at the facility or during the Test? no
5) What did you do during the two 8-minute breaks? drink water
6) Did you finish any sections early? 1 min earlier in both
7) Did you have to rush to finish any sections (and guess on questions just to finish on time)?no
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2018, 08:24
stevenb28 wrote:
1) What did you do in the 3 days before your GMAT? D-1: took a test + additional questions ; D-2: review log errors questions for 8 hours ; D-3: take a test + log errors question review
2) How did you sleep the night before your Test? not well 4 hours
3) How long was the ride to the Test Center from your home? 30 min
4) Were there any distractions at the facility or during the Test? no
5) What did you do during the two 8-minute breaks? drink water
6) Did you finish any sections early? 1 min earlier in both
7) Did you have to rush to finish any sections (and guess on questions just to finish on time)?no

I think the test in D-3 and 4-hour sleep are the main reasons for your decrease in score. I experienced the same thing: studied the day before, drank coffee to study... then cannot sleep. My score in 2nd time is 30 lower than the first time. I took the 3rd test after that 1 month (not study much, but sound sleep) and increased my score...
Intern
Intern
B
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2018, 08:33
Yes it is clearly possible and I hope it is the reason to be fairly honest with you… Anyway I booked the new test for the 1st of October and will try to secure a q50 , v35+ on the test.
May I ask you what were your scores on the first and second attempt?

Thanks for your help – appreciate it 
Intern
Intern
B
730 on Gmat Prep and 650 on Real Gmat - need help  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2018, 08:43
stevenb28 wrote:
Yes it is clearly possible and I hope it is the reason to be fairly honest with you… Anyway I booked the new test for the 1st of October and will try to secure a q50 , v35+ on the test.
May I ask you what were your scores on the first and second attempt?

Thanks for your help – appreciate it 

First attempt 680, second 650, third 710, fourth 710, fifth - final 730

For your information, before the first score 680, the first GMAT Prep CAT I took in exam condition is 740 :-), but after that, when I paid attention to my weakness (SC), my GMAT Prep scores went down to 660 - 650...

If you need more help, you can PM me... as I have experience of rollercoaster scores, so I probably know why...
Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2018, 15:36
Hi stevenb28,

I’m sorry to hear how things went with your GMAT. Assuming you took your practice exams under realistic testing conditions, the results of your official practice tests show that you should have been able to score higher than 650 on test day. It’s quite possible that nerves, stress, tiredness, or a combination of all three negatively affected your test-day performance. It’s also possible that despite scoring 690, 690, and 730, on your last three exams, you still have some lingering weaknesses that were exposed on test day. Furthermore, it’s worth noting that you achieved your score goal on only two of your last four practice exams. However, with some further hard work and dedicated prep, you can improve your GMAT score.

Moving forward, you need to go through GMAT quant and verbal carefully to find your exact weaknesses, fill gaps in your knowledge, and strengthen your skills. The overall process will be to learn all about how to answer question types with which you currently aren't very comfortable and do dozens of practice questions category by category, basically driving up your score point by point. When you do dozens of questions of the same type one after the other, you learn just what it takes to get questions of that type correct consistently. If you aren't getting close to 90 percent of questions of a certain type correct, go back and seek to better understand how that type of question works, and then do more questions of that type until you get to around at least 90 percent accuracy in your training. If you get 100 percent of some sets correct, even better.

For example, if you find that you are not strong in answering Number Properties questions, then carefully review the conceptual underpinnings of how to answer Number Properties questions and practice by answering 50 or more questions just from Number Properties: LCM, GCF, units digit patterns, divisibility, remainders, etc. When you are working on learning to answer questions of a particular type, start off taking your time, and then seek to speed up as you get more comfortable answering questions of that type.
As you do such practice, do a thorough analysis of each question that you don't get right. If you got a remainder question wrong, ask yourself why. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you not properly apply the remainder formula? Was there a concept you did not understand in the question? By carefully analyzing your mistakes, you will be able to efficiently fix your weaknesses and in turn improve your GMAT quant skills. Number Properties is just one example; follow this process for all quant topics.

Each time you strengthen your understanding of a topic and your skill in answering questions of a particular type, you increase your odds of hitting your score goal. You know that there are types of questions that you are happy to see and types that you would rather not see, and types of questions that you take a long time to answer correctly. Learn to more effectively answer the types of questions that you would rather not see, and make them into your favorite types. Learn to correctly answer in two minutes or less questions that you currently take five minutes to answer. By finding, say, a dozen weaker quant areas and turning them into strong areas, you will make great progress toward hitting your quant score goal. If a dozen areas turn out not to be enough, strengthen some more areas.

You can work on verbal in a similar manner. Let’s say you are reviewing Critical Reasoning. Be sure that you practice a large number of Critical Reasoning questions: Strengthen and Weaken the Argument, Resolve the Paradox, find the Conclusion, Must be True, etc. As you go through the questions, do a thorough analysis of each question that you don't get correct. If you missed a Weaken question, ask yourself why. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you not recognize what the question was asking? Did you skip over a key detail in an answer choice? Getting GMAT verbal questions right is a matter of what you know, what you see, and what you do. So, any time that you don't get one right, you can seek to identify what you would have had to know in order to get the right answer, what you had to see that you didn't see, and what you could have done differently to arrive at the correct answer.

So, work on accuracy and generally finding correct answers, work on specific weaker areas one by one to make them strong areas, and when you take a practice GMAT or the real thing, take all the time per question available to do your absolute best to get right answers consistently. The GMAT is essentially a game of seeing how many right answers you can get in the time allotted. Approach the test with that conception in mind, and focus intently on the question in front of you with one goal in mind: getting a CORRECT answer.

In order to follow the path described above, you may need some new verbal and quant materials, so take a look at the GMAT Club reviews for the best quant and verbal courses.

You also may find my article with more information regarding
how to score a 700+ on the GMAT helpful.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2018, 15:57
Hi stevenb28,

I've sent you a PM with some additional notes/suggestions based on your ESR.

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2018, 12:01
stevenb28 wrote:

PS 1: I have not come across one debrief that had the same issue that I have - Is my situation exceptional ?

Sorry to hear about the test-day letdown, stevenb28! It's funny, I had both your post and this one open in different browser tabs, and thought that they were exactly the same post. The titles are strikingly similar.

So no, your situation is absolutely not unusual at all! This is incredibly common. The "I just kicked the GMAT in the balls!" posts get all of the attention, but every one of those posts, there are several that have exactly the same issue as you encountered. Here's an article dedicated exclusively to this situation, since it is so darned common.

You've already attracted the attention of some very smart and helpful people (clearly, EMPOWERgmatRichC immediately noticed some key issues), so I won't say much more, other than the fact that you are absolutely not alone in your struggles. Good luck with your retake!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Intern
Intern
B
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2018, 03:00
Hi all,

Thank you very much for all your answers - Rich, GmatNinja, Scott - very appreciated. Chibil we are now taking on whatsapp anyway but thx again :)
I took the gmat last monday and scored 710 - i will revert with a short review and share my gmat experience.

Best,
GMAT Club Bot
Re: 730 on Gmat Prep and 650 on Real Gmat - need help &nbs [#permalink] 08 Oct 2018, 03:00

730 on Gmat Prep and 650 on Real Gmat - need help

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, EMPOWERgmatRichC, bb

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap