GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Nov 2018, 09:48

LIVE NOW!

How to Quickly Solve GMAT Questions - Chat with ExamPAL. Join HERE!

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • All GMAT Club Tests are Free and open on November 22nd in celebration of Thanksgiving Day!

November 22, 2018

November 22, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Mark your calendars - All GMAT Club Tests are free and open November 22nd to celebrate Thanksgiving Day! Access will be available from 0:01 AM to 11:59 PM, Pacific Time (USA)
  • Free lesson on number properties

November 23, 2018

November 23, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.

"A" and "B" run around a circular track starting from the same point s

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
P
"A" and "B" run around a circular track starting from the same point s  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2016, 04:08
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

65% (02:23) correct 35% (02:36) wrong based on 97 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Responding to a pm:

"A" and "B" run around a circular track starting from the same point simultaneously in the same direction. "A" meets "B" for the first time when "A" is exactly in the middle of his 5th round. If "A" is faster than "B" and take 70 seconds to complete 1 lap, how long will B take to complete 1 lap?

A) 90 seconds
B) 54.44 seconds
C) 110 seconds
D) 63 seconds
E) 77 seconds

A is faster than B. Every second he increases distance between A and B. They will meet for the first time again when he increases distance between them by one full circle. (Say the lap is of 100m. He keeps increasing distance between them. When he is 90 m ahead of him, it is the same as 10 m behind him because they are moving in a circle. Finally when he is 100 m ahead of him, he is exactly 1 lap ahead and hence both are at the same point).

A takes 70 secs for one full lap. So he covers 4.5 laps in exactly 70*4.5 = 315 seconds.

In 315 secs, B completes 3.5 laps. So for each lap, he takes 315/3.5 = 90 secs

Answer (A)

Karishma

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: "A" and "B" run around a circular track starting from the same point s  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2016, 09:20
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Responding to a pm:

"A" and "B" run around a circular track starting from the same point simultaneously in the same direction. "A" meets "B" for the first time when "A" is exactly in the middle of his 5th round. If "A" is faster than "B" and take 70 seconds to complete 1 lap, how long will B take to complete 1 lap?

A) 90 seconds
B) 54.44 seconds
C) 110 seconds
D) 63 seconds
E) 77 seconds

A is faster than B. Every second he increases distance between A and B. They will meet for the first time again when he increases distance between them by one full circle. (Say the lap is of 100m. He keeps increasing distance between them. When he is 90 m ahead of him, it is the same as 10 m behind him because they are moving in a circle. Finally when he is 100 m ahead of him, he is exactly 1 lap ahead and hence both are at the same point).

A takes 70 secs for one full lap. So he covers 4.5 laps in exactly 70*4.5 = 315 seconds.

Answer (A)

How did you get "In 315 secs, B completes 3.5 laps."? Please elaborate.

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.
New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here.

Current Student
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: "A" and "B" run around a circular track starting from the same point s  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2016, 12:56
Responding to a pm:

A) 90 seconds
B) 54.44 seconds
C) 110 seconds
D) 63 seconds
E) 77 seconds

Answer (A)

Hi! VeritasPrepKarishma,

Can't there be a possibility that B is in its first lap when A meets B.

Also, I am confused that how can A meets B for the first time in the middle of 5th lap since its a circle. Please enlighten.

I welcome critical analysis of my post!! That will help me reach 700+

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE: Design (Manufacturing)
"A" and "B" run around a circular track starting from the same point s  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2016, 13:32
Draw a circle with 2 ends A' and B'(Diametric) if they both start at A', then mid of 5th lap would mean A is at point B' That means 4.5 laps. Total time : 315 {4.5*70}seconds. B should also be at the same point. Start using options. If we take 90 seconds, a quick glimpse will tell us that 90+90+90+45 (3.5 laps) is also 315 and also the same position i.e. B' Don't need to look further. Hence A is the answer .
A quick way of avoiding calculations!

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
P

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2016, 20:48
abhimahna wrote:
Responding to a pm:

A) 90 seconds
B) 54.44 seconds
C) 110 seconds
D) 63 seconds
E) 77 seconds

Answer (A)

How did you get "In 315 secs, B completes 3.5 laps."? Please elaborate.

Divyadisha

A covers 4.5 laps in 315 seconds. This is when they meet. So B has also been running for 315 seconds. How much distance will he cover in this time?
Think about it: If B was still on his first lap, A would have met him in his second lap. Why? Because B would be somewhere on the circular path when A takes his second lap. So he would have met B then. But A met him for the first time after 4.5 laps.
Since they are both running in the same direction, till the time they cover equal number of laps (perhaps A is very slightly faster than B), they don't meet. B lags behind A. But when A covers a distance of 1 lap more than B, he has to cross B again (since they are running on the same circular path).

Try to draw a diagram to imagine it. They meet for the first time when A covers exactly 1 lap more than B.

Karishma

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2016, 04:04
Responding to a pm:

A) 90 seconds
B) 54.44 seconds
C) 110 seconds
D) 63 seconds
E) 77 seconds

Answer (A)

Dear Karishma

I have a question on this - when it says A catches B when A is exactly in the middle of the 5 th round does not this mean that 5.5 laps for A and 4.5 laps for B.
As I have solved the problem with 5.5 laps in 385 secs (70*5.5) for A and 4.5 Laps for B in the same time frame.
And result is 85.5 secs.
Can you help where I am doing wrong?

Thanks
P

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2016, 04:16
Rasul_Rasul wrote:
Responding to a pm:

A) 90 seconds
B) 54.44 seconds
C) 110 seconds
D) 63 seconds
E) 77 seconds

Answer (A)

Dear Karishma

I have a question on this - when it says A catches B when A is exactly in the middle of the 5 th round does not this mean that 5.5 laps for A and 4.5 laps for B.
As I have solved the problem with 5.5 laps in 385 secs (70*5.5) for A and 4.5 Laps for B in the same time frame.
And result is 85.5 secs.

Thanks

That's a common mistake. Think about it - when I say, A caught B in the middle of the first round, what does that mean? Does it mean 0.5 or 1.5? The middle of the first round is when A has covered only half a round. So it will be 0.5.
Similarly, middle of 5th round is 4 complete rounds and a half.
It's the way we think about age.
Middle of first year means the baby is only 6 months old. The fifth year is the year that starts after the child completes 4 yrs.

Karishma

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2016, 21:00
Rasul_Rasul wrote:
Responding to a pm:

A) 90 seconds
B) 54.44 seconds
C) 110 seconds
D) 63 seconds
E) 77 seconds

Answer (A)

Dear Karishma

And result is 85.5 secs.

Thanks

That's a common mistake. Think about it - when I say, A caught B in the middle of the first round, what does that mean? Does it mean 0.5 or 1.5? The middle of the first round is when A has covered only half a round. So it will be 0.5.
Similarly, middle of 5th round is 4 complete rounds and a half.
It's the way we think about age.
Middle of first year means the baby is only 6 months old. The fifth year is the year that starts after the child completes 4 yrs.

Thank you Karishma.
I got your point.

BR
Manager
Manager
G
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2018, 03:14
Let the time taken by B to complete 1 lap = x seconds.
Time taken by A = 70 seconds.
Given ,
A meets B for the first time at the mid point of 5th round = 4.5 * 70 seconds.
Therefore , he will me B for the first time at the starting point after 2 * 4.5 * 70 = 630 seconds.

LCM of x and 70 should be 630.

Only A fits
GMAT Club Bot
Re: "A" and "B" run around a circular track starting from the same point s &nbs [#permalink] 29 Oct 2018, 03:14

"A" and "B" run around a circular track starting from the same point s

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap