It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 02:28

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Wharton R1 | Stanford R1 | Tuck R1 | Ross R1 | Haas R1 | UCLA R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A certain business school has a student body of 2,000 students, 45% of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 135696 [0], given: 12706

A certain business school has a student body of 2,000 students, 45% of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2015, 08:21
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

72% (01:26) correct 28% (01:22) wrong based on 106 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A certain business school has a student body of 2,000 students, 45% of whom are male. What percent of the students are international students?

(1) The number of male international students in the business school is twice the number of female students who are not international students.
(2) The number of male students who are not international students is twice the number of male students who are international students.

Kudos for a correct solution.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 78 [1], given: 98

GMAT 1: 500 Q36 V23
A certain business school has a student body of 2,000 students, 45% of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2015, 20:51
This post received
KUDOS
Male students = 900
Female students = 1100
Total students = 2000
Question: International students x% of 2000.

(1) Not sufficient. Knowing that a certain number of male students who are international students is twice the number of female students who are not international does not help us to find x%. It could be that out of all 900 male students 400 are international, which would mean that there are 200 female students who are not international. But it could be that there 600 male international students and 300 not international female students.

(2) Not sufficient. That helps find the number of international male students and not international male students, 300 and 600 respectively. We still don't know how many international female students there are.

(1)+(2) Sufficient. From the statement (2) we find that there are 300 international male students and 600 not international male students. And from statement (1) we find that there are 150 not international female students and 950 international female students. 1250/2000=62.5%

Answer C

Last edited by viktorija on 18 Feb 2015, 16:43, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 78 [1], given: 98

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 18132 [1], given: 236

Re: A certain business school has a student body of 2,000 students, 45% of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2015, 22:14
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Bunuel wrote:
A certain business school has a student body of 2,000 students, 45% of whom are male. What percent of the students are international students?

(1) The number of male international students in the business school is twice the number of female students who are not international students.
(2) The number of male students who are not international students is twice the number of male students who are international students.

2000 total students. 45% i.e. 900 male so 1100 female. We need the total of International students.

Statement 1:

Make the table:

.......................Regular................International...........Total

Male...................................................2x......................900

Female..................x......................................................1100

Total...............................................................................

There is no way to know the total number of international students.

Statement 2:

Male......................4x.............................2x....................900

Female..........................................................................1100

Total...............................................................................

We get that 6x = 900 so x = 150. But there is no way to know the number of female international students.

Both together:

Male......................600.............................300....................900

Female...................150...............................y.......................1100

Female international students = 1100 - 150 = 950 = y
Total number of international students = 300+950
We can find the desired % now.

Answer (C)

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 18132 [1], given: 236

Expert Post
Math Expert
D

Kudos [?]: 6133 [0], given: 121

Re: A certain business school has a student body of 2,000 students, 45% of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2015, 05:59
ans C..

we have a number, which is further subdivided into four groups \(m_l\), \(m_i\), \(f_l\)and \(f_i\). we know m and f...
and we are to find sum of two of these groups \(m_i\) and \(f_i\)..
1)statement one tells us a relation between \(m_l\) and \(f_i\)... insufficient
2) statement two tells us a relation between \(m_l\) and \(m_i\)...here we get values of both these quantities... value of \(f_i\) still required..insufficient

combined .. value of \(m_l\) found from statement2, we can get \(f_i\) from statement 1....sufficient

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Kudos [?]: 6133 [0], given: 121

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 13 [2], given: 31

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2015, 11:52
This post received
KUDOS
Answer is C.

Here is my best explanation (refer to print screen);
1) we are looking for "x" and they are mutually exclusive (you can't be male and female at the same time).
2) In red is statement one
3) In blue is statement two

Clearly we do not know x so by itself none is useful, however if we use both statements, we can see that the males cleanly divide up in the same amount (x).

So, you would just need to divide 45% of 2000 in 2 to get x, hence SUFFICIENT.
Attachments

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG [ 3.07 KiB | Viewed 1155 times ]

Kudos [?]: 13 [2], given: 31

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2015, 10:37
Bunuel wrote:

VERITAS PREP OFFICIAL SOLUTION

Correct Answer: C

Think of this as a 2x2 table. Before we begin, we know the total number of students (2000) and the total number of male students (45% of 2000, or 900). Statement (1) only tells us only the relationship between male international students and female non-international students, so we don't know the total number of international students; not sufficient. Statement (2) tells us there are twice as many non-international male students (600) as there are international male students (300). This doesn't tell us anything about the female student body, however, so it too is insufficient. Combining the two statements, we know that the number of male international students (300) is twice the number of female non-international students (150). Since we know there are 1100 female students (2000 total - 900 male = 1100 female), we now know the number of female international students (950). We now know that of the 2000 students at the school, 1250 of them are internationals: 5/8 or 62.5%. Both statements together are sufficient.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2017, 15:29
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 0

Re: A certain business school has a student body of 2,000 students, 45% of   [#permalink] 19 Nov 2017, 15:29

A certain business school has a student body of 2,000 students, 45% of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap