GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Oct 2019, 14:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A circular table has a glass center with a diameter of 4x inches,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Math Expert
V
A circular table has a glass center with a diameter of 4x inches,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2014, 09:35
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

77% (02:46) correct 23% (03:25) wrong based on 185 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Tough and Tricky questions: Geometry.

A circular table has a glass center with a diameter of \(4x\) inches, which is surrounded by a metal ring with a width of 2 inches. In terms of \(x\), what fraction of the table's surface is made up by the metal ring?

A. \(\frac{1}{x+1}\)
B. \(\frac{1}{x}\)
C. \(\frac{x^{2}}{(x+1)^{2}}\)
D. \(\frac{2x +1}{(x+1)^{2}}\)
E. \(\frac{x}{x + 1}\)

Kudos for a correct solution.

Re: A circular table has a glass center with a diameter of 4x inches,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2014, 12:22
I set x=5 so that the diameter is 20 inches. The radius of the table is 10 inches and the radius of the table+ring is 11 inches.

I am having trouble getting the pie symbol to work so I am using "n" to represent pie.

area of table - area of table + ring = answer

area of table = n10^2
area of table+ring = n11^2

Factor out n (pie) to get 10^2 / 11^2 or 100/121 or roughly 5/6. This is the fraction we want to get when we plug in x=5 for each of the answer choices.

A. Plug in 5 to get 1/6. This is far from 100/121
B. 1/5, still way off
C. 25/36 or roughly 5/7, very close
D. 11/36 - far off
E. 5/6 - bingo

Answer E!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Re: A circular table has a glass center with a diameter of 4x inches,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2014, 12:54
Bunuel wrote:

Tough and Tricky questions: Geometry.

A circular table has a glass center with a diameter of \(4x\) inches, which is surrounded by a metal ring with a width of 2 inches. In terms of \(x\), what fraction of the table's surface is made up by the metal ring?

A. \(\frac{1}{x+1}\)
B. \(\frac{1}{x}\)
E. \(\frac{x}{x + 1}\)

Kudos for a correct solution.

Attachments

123.jpg
123.jpg [ 12.6 KiB | Viewed 4237 times ]

SVP
SVP
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2014, 20:07
Answer = D

Area of glass surface \(= \pi (2x)^2 = \pi 4x^2\) ................... (1)

Total Area\(= \pi (2x+2)^2\) .............. (2)

Area of surrounding metal ring = (2) - (1)

Required fraction \(= \frac{\pi (2x+2)^2 - \pi 4x^2}{\pi (2x+2)^2} = \frac{x^2 + 2x + 1 - x^2}{(x+1)^2} = \frac{2x+1}{(x+1)^2}\)
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2014, 20:41
Radius of the table without the metal ring = 2x, therefore area of the table without the metal ring = 4pi * x^2

Radius of the table with the metal ring = 2x+2, therefore area of the table with the metal ring = 4pi * (x+1)^2

Fraction of the table's surface is made up by the metal ring = {4pi * (x+1)^2 - 4pi * x^2}/4pi * (x+1)^2 = {(x+1)^2 - x^2}/(x+1)^2 = 2x+1/(x+1)^2

Therefore D) is the answer
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2014, 09:40
Official Solution:

A. \(\frac{1}{x+1}\)
B. \(\frac{1}{x}\)
E. \(\frac{x}{x + 1}\)

We must determine what fraction of the table's total area (glass and metal) is made up by the metal ring. The expression we are interested in, then, is \(\frac{Area_{whole} - Area_{glass}}{Area_{whole}}\).

The formula for the area of a circle is \(A = \pi r^2\), where \(r\) is the radius of the circle. Here, we are given the diameter of the glass center. Since the radius of a circle is half its diameter, the radius of the glass is \(r_{g} = \frac{4x}{2} = 2x\) inches.

The metal ring extends 2 inches in every direction, so the diameter of the whole table is \(4x + 4\), as in the diagram below:

Thus, the radius of the whole table is \(r_{w} = \frac{4x + 4}{2} = 2x + 2\) inches.

Combine the area formula with the fraction determined above: \(\frac{Area_{whole} - Area_{glass}}{Area_{whole}} = \frac{\pi (r_{w})^2 - \pi (r_{g})^2}{\pi (r_{w})^2}\).

Plug in the values for the radii: \(\frac{\pi (2x +2)^2 - \pi (2x)^2}{\pi (2x + 2)^2}\).

Use FOIL to multiply the polynomials: \(\frac{(4x^{2} + 8x + 4)\pi - (4x^{2})\pi}{(4x^{2} + 8x + 4)\pi}\).

Factor out \(4 \pi\) from the top and bottom of the fraction and reduce: \(\frac{x^{2} + 2x + 1- x^{2}}{x^{2} + 2x + 1}\).

Simplify the numerator and factor the denominator: \(\frac{2x +1}{(x+1)^{2}}\).

Answer choice D is correct.

Given that this approach requires some complex algebraic manipulations and that the answer choices all contain variables, we may instead choose to solve this problem by plugging in a value for \(x\). We will say that \(x = 2\). Then the diameter of the glass is \(4(2) = 8\) inches, and the radius of the glass is 4 inches. The radius of the whole table is 2 inches more, or 6 inches. Computing the fraction, we find: \(\frac{Area_{whole} - Area_{glass}}{Area_{whole}} = \frac{\pi(6)^2 - \pi(4)^2}{\pi(6)^2}\). Simplified, this is: \(\frac{36\pi - 16\pi}{36\pi} = \frac{20\pi}{36\pi}\), or \(\frac{5}{9}\).

We now substitute 2 for \(x\) in all the answer choices and see which expressions produce \(\frac{5}{9}\). Remember that we must always check all five answer choices, in case the value we picked for \(x\) produces the "right" output for two or more answer choices.

Choice A: \(\frac{1}{x+1} = \frac{1}{3}\). This is not equal to \(\frac{5}{9}\).

Choice B: \(\frac{1}{x} = \frac{1}{2}\). This is not equal to \(\frac{5}{9}\).

Choice C: \(\frac{x^{2}}{(x+1)^{2}} = \frac{4}{9}\). This is not equal to \(\frac{5}{9}\).

Choice D: \(\frac{2x +1}{(x+1)^{2}} = \frac{5}{9}\). So answer choice D works.

Choice E: \(\frac{x}{x + 1} = \frac{2}{3}\). This is not equal to \(\frac{5}{9}\).

Answer: D.

Attachment:
s95-21.gif
s95-21.gif [ 4.88 KiB | Viewed 4460 times ]

Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2016, 00:09
DangerPenguin wrote:
I set x=5 so that the diameter is 20 inches. The radius of the table is 10 inches and the radius of the table+ring is 11 inches.

I am having trouble getting the pie symbol to work so I am using "n" to represent pie.

area of table - area of table + ring = answer

area of table = n10^2
area of table+ring = n11^2

Factor out n (pie) to get 10^2 / 11^2 or 100/121 or roughly 5/6. This is the fraction we want to get when we plug in x=5 for each of the answer choices.

A. Plug in 5 to get 1/6. This is far from 100/121
B. 1/5, still way off
C. 25/36 or roughly 5/7, very close
D. 11/36 - far off
E. 5/6 - bingo

Answer E!

Hi All,

While this is an old series of posts, here's an example of why it's really important to take the proper notes (and sometimes draw pictures (especially when dealing with Geometry questions). The above approach to this question is perfect - TESTing VALUES will work really well here. However, the original poster made a mistake - we're told that the ring has a WIDTH of 2, so that width appears all the way 'around' the central circle of the table. In the above calculation, the area of 'everything' is (12^2)pi --> NOT (11^2)pi. Answer choice E is actually there on purpose - to punish people who do this part of the math incorrectly. Without the necessary drawing/notes, the original poster didn't even realize that the mistake occurred... and chose one of the wrong answers as a result.

On many GMAT questions (but especially the tougher ones), the wrong answers are NOT going to be random - the GMAT writers can anticipate the mistakes that you MIGHT make - and create the 'end result' that you would get to. These types of answers are NOT traps - they're punishments (when you make mistakes, the GMAT is really good at punishing you for those mistakes). This is all meant to say that you need to do the necessary work to eliminate mistakes from your process; when you do that work, you'll be rewarded with a higher score.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Non-Human User

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2018, 02:41
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: A circular table has a glass center with a diameter of 4x inches,   [#permalink] 11 Oct 2018, 02:41

A circular table has a glass center with a diameter of 4x inches,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics