GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Nov 2019, 22:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A city plans to attract new citizens with new housing and new faciliti

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
A city plans to attract new citizens with new housing and new faciliti  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 12 Mar 2019, 07:40
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

90% (01:33) correct 10% (02:02) wrong based on 1312 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A city plans to attract new citizens with new housing and new facilities such as parks, recreation centers, and libraries. One component of the city's plan is to require that developers seeking permission to build this new housing provide these additional facilities at no cost to the city.

Which of the following, if true, would point to a possible flaw in the city's plan?

(A) Developers would pass along their costs to the buyer; thereby raising the cost of housing units beyond the ability of likely purchasers to afford them.

(B) Light, nonpolluting industries have located in the area, offering more jobs and better-paying jobs than do the more established industries in the area.

(C) Other towns and cities nearby have yet to embark on comparable plans to attract new citizens

(D) Most developers see the extra expense of providing municipal facilities as simply one of the many costs of doing business.

(E) Studies show that purchasers of new houses, especially first-time buyers, rank recreational resources as an important factor in deciding to buy a particular house.

A city plans to attract new citizens with new housing and new facilities such as parks, recreation centers, and libraries. One component of the city's plan is to require that developers seeking permission to build this new housing provide these additional facilities at no cost to the city.

Which of the following, if true, would point to a possible flaw in the city's plan?

(A) Light, nonpolluting industries have located in the area, offering more jobs and better-paying jobs than do the more-established industries in the area.
(B) Other towns and cities nearby have yet to embark on any comparable plans to attract new citizens.
(C) Most developers see the extra expense of providing municipal facilities as simply one of the many costs of doing business.
(D) Developers would pass along their costs to the buyer, thereby raising the cost of housing units beyond the ability of likely purchasers to afford them.
(E) Studies show that purchasers of new houses, especially first-time buyers, rank recreational resources as an important factor in deciding to buy a particular house.

A city plans to attract new residents by expanding housing and providing community facilities. It will require developers building housing to provide these community facilities at no cost to the city. What information might suggest that the city’s plan is flawed?

Clearly the developer’s costs in providing such facilities will have to be regarded by the developer as part of the cost of building the housing which is to be sold. But if the cost is sufficiently high, the homes in question may have prices that are too high to attract new residents. This seems a flaw in the city’s plan, so the fourth choice is reasonable.

The first choice provides a good reason for thinking that new residents might be attracted to the city. This indicates no flaw in the city’s plan, and neither does the second choice, which suggests that the city will have less competition in attracting new residents.

The third choice suggests that the developers will not refuse to adopt the city’s conditions, so this indicates no flaw in the plan.

The fifth choice provides a reason for thinking that the city’s plan is a good one.

Originally posted by lexis on 25 Jun 2008, 02:01.
Last edited by Bunuel on 12 Mar 2019, 07:40, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Intern
Intern
Sneha: Sudge
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Haas '16
GMAT Date: 08-16-2014
GPA: 3.06
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A city plans to attract new citizens with new housing and new faciliti  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2013, 22:30
Its A.
We have find a flaw in the city plan.
The aim of city plan is to attract new citizens, but point A clearly indicates that the cost of housing will increase and thereby not attract new citizens.
Intern
B
Reviews Badge
Re: A city plans to attract new citizens with new housing and new faciliti  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2018, 01:00
Please explain me the conclusion of the argument ?
IIMA, IIMC School Moderator
V
WE: Engineering (Other)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2018, 09:04
Shivikaa

Quote:
Please explain me the conclusion of the argument ?

This is type of question in which A GOAL / PLAN is to be achieved and there are
steps / PREMISES used to achieve the plan. For better understanding, see this post.

Here, the PLAN is a sort of conclusion, which is : to attract new citizens with new housing and new facilities such as parks, recreation centers and libraries.

Think about how this plan can be flawed (not able to achieve its goal) in spite of
providing new houses to people at no extra cost to city.

Hope this helps.

Feeling stressed, you are not alone!!
Non-Human User

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2019, 23:17
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: A city plans to attract new citizens with new housing and new faciliti   [#permalink] 25 Aug 2019, 23:17

A city plans to attract new citizens with new housing and new faciliti

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics