Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 13:08 It is currently 03 May 2024, 13:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 620979 [1]
Given Kudos: 81742
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 353 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: International Business, Finance
GPA: 4
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Verbal Chat Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1614 [0]
Given Kudos: 1680
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Re: A day-care discussion must begin with the fact of there being in Ameri [#permalink]
Hi,
Can someone please explain why E is incorrect and also if in Option C '........there are' in America is the right usage.
Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 182
Send PM
Re: A day-care discussion must begin with the fact of there being in Ameri [#permalink]
Please share an explanation as to why D isn't the correct answer, since it seems a better option than C.
In option D 'begin by acknowledging' makes more sense than 'begin with the fact' in C.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6869 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
GargieMahajan wrote:
Hi,
Can someone please explain why E is incorrect and also if in Option C '........there are' in America is the right usage.
Thanks

NikkiL wrote:
Please share an explanation as to why D isn't the correct answer, since it seems a better option than C.
In option D 'begin by acknowledging' makes more sense than 'begin with the fact' in C.

Hello, everyone. Since I am starting to see queries pile up on this one, I will offer my thoughts in hopes of clarifying a matter or two.

Bunuel wrote:
A day-care discussion must begin with the fact of there being in America four and one-half million working women whose children under six years of age are being cared for by others.

(A) A day-care discussion must begin with the fact of there being

Right out of the gates, we see a problem at the tail-end of the underlined portion. In the context of the sentence, we are looking for the fact that, not the fact of, and there being is only adding fuel to the fire. For what purpose would we need to use being? Although it can appear as a gerund in a correct answer, it should not follow there in a there is/there are construct. This should be an easy answer to cross off.

Bunuel wrote:
(B) Beginning any discussion of day care must be the fact of there being

Not only are the issues from before not fixed, but in this option, we swap out must begin for must be, and that does not make sense. Beginning a discussion must be a certain fact? Who is doing the discussing here? I am confused, and rather than look to untangle the knots, I would seek a more clearcut alternative.

Bunuel wrote:
(C) Any discussion of day care must begin with the fact that there are

Since the discussion is the subject of the sentence again, rather than the act of discussing something, to say that such a discussion must begin with some sort of information is fine. Also, there being has been altered to a fitting there are, as in (to paraphrase), there are many women whose younger children are cared for by others. Nothing stands out as incorrect here. Sure, in America may appear in a tight spot, but that information has to go somewhere, and since we cannot negotiate the non-underlined portion of the sentence, such placement is a non-issue anyway.

Bunuel wrote:
(D) Any discussion of day care must begin by acknowledging the fact that there exists

To be clear, I have no problem with begin by acknowledging, but there exists presents a subject-verb agreement issue within the embedded clause: there exists... women. In a there + [verb] + [noun] inverted construct, that noun at the end dictates subject-verb agreement. Just as we had there are... women in (C) instead of there is... women, we need there exist... women in this option. Remember, SC is not about what sounds better, but about what you can disprove or make a stronger case against. This answer choice presents an easy target, so we can safely take it out of the running.

Bunuel wrote:
(E) To begin a discussion of day care there must be an acknowledgement of the fact that

Allowing an infinitive phrase to be the subject of the sentence is fine, but such a construct leads us to believe that information about the doer of the action, the person or persons beginning a discussion here, will follow. Instead, we get an amorphous there. It does not help that the rest of the answer choice is less concise, but I would not eliminate this one on such grounds. The doubt about the missing person(s), just as we saw in (B) earlier, is enough for me to favor another (clearer) option.

I hope that helps. If anyone has further questions, I would be happy to address them. Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6925 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts