GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Aug 2018, 20:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A garden has only red, green and yellow flowers

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V31
GPA: 3.82
Reviews Badge
A garden has only red, green and yellow flowers  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2017, 03:25
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

77% (01:37) correct 23% (01:17) wrong based on 99 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A garden has only red, green and yellow flowers, 57% of the flowers have red colour, 35% have green colour and 50% have yellow colour. If no flower has all three colors, what percentage of the flowers has only one colour?

A. 32
B. 50
C. 55
D. 58
E. 82

Can someone please explain how to approach these kinds of problems? I am at a loss when especially 'at least one, two' category questions arise. Kindly suggest some reasoning or method for these questions along with more questions on the same line. thanks!

Consider giving me Kudos if you find my posts useful, challenging and helpful!

PS Forum Moderator
D
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: A garden has only red, green and yellow flowers  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 28 Apr 2017, 10:12
ashikaverma13 wrote:
A garden has only red, green and yellow flowers, 57% of the flowers have red colour, 35% have green colour and 50% have yellow colour. If no flower has all three colors, what percentage of the flowers has only one colour?

A. 32
B. 50
C. 55
D. 58
E. 82

Can someone please explain how to approach these kinds of problems? I am at a loss when especially 'at least one, two' category questions arise. Kindly suggest some reasoning or method for these questions along with more questions on the same line. thanks!

Let the total number of flowers be 100. Let number of red and green be "x", number of green and yellow be "Z" and number of red and yellow be "y" (refer the venn diagram). Also number of flowers with all three combinations will be 0 in this case
Now, only red = 57-(x+y)
only green = 35-(x+z)
only yellow = 50-(y+z)
Thus, 57-(x+y)+35-(x+z)+50-(y+z) + x+y+z = 100
or, x+y+z = 42. Hence total number of flowers that have two colours are 42.
So total number of flowers that have only one colour = 100-42 = 58
Attachments

VD.jpg
VD.jpg [ 29.01 KiB | Viewed 1462 times ]

Originally posted by niks18 on 24 Apr 2017, 03:49.
Last edited by niks18 on 28 Apr 2017, 10:12, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V31
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2017, 10:39
niks18 wrote:
ashikaverma13 wrote:

A. 32
B. 50
C. 55
D. 58
E. 82

Let the total number of flowers be 100. Let number of red and green be "x" and number of green and yellow be "y" (refer the venn diagram)
Now, only red = 57-x
only green = 35-(x+y)
only yellow = 50-y
Thus, 57-x+35-(x+y)+50-y + x+y = 100
or, x+y = 42. Hence total number of flowers that have two colours are 42.
So total number of flowers that have only one colour = 100-42 = 58

Hey, thanks for the explanation. I was making the mistake of trying to subtract 142-100 considering the combined ones must be taking the total more than 100. It is clear now. Thanks!

Consider giving me Kudos if you find my posts useful, challenging and helpful!

Target Test Prep Representative
G
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2017, 17:14
ashikaverma13 wrote:

A. 32
B. 50
C. 55
D. 58
E. 82

We can use the following formula:

100% = percent of red flowers + percent of green flowers + percent of yellow flowers - percent of flowers with 2 colors - 2(percent of flowers with all 3 colors) + percent of flowers with neither color.

We are given that a garden has only red, green and yellow flowers, 57% of the flowers have red color, 35% have green color, 50% have yellow color, and no flower has all three colors. Thus:

100 = 57 + 35 + 50 - D - 2(0) + 0

100 = 142 - D

D = 42

We can use one final equation:

100% = percent of flowers with 1 color + percent of flowers with 2 colors + percent of flowers with 3 colors + percent of flowers with 0 colors

100 = x + 42 + 0 + 0

x = 58

58% of the flowers have only one color.

Answer: D

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Jun 2018, 22:24
S=57+35+50=142;X=100; III=0
S-X=42=II + 2 III
II=42
S=I +2 II + 3III
142= I + 2X42
I=58
Re: A garden has only red, green and yellow flowers &nbs [#permalink] 16 Jun 2018, 22:24

A garden has only red, green and yellow flowers

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap