GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2018, 14:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A higher interest rate is only one of the factors, albeit an important

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SVP
SVP
A higher interest rate is only one of the factors, albeit an important  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2009, 23:28
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

51% (00:41) correct 49% (00:43) wrong based on 1857 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A higher interest rate is only one of the factors, albeit an important one, that keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did earlier in the decade.

A) keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did

B) keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, as it did

C) keepsthe housing market from spiraling out of control, as it did

D) keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, like earlier

E) keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did earlier

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Most Helpful Expert Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Re: A higher interest rate is only one of the factors, albeit an important  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2013, 22:58
sridhar wrote:
+1 for C.
My doubt is that if "one of the factors" is considered plural how do we get "it" in the final clause which says "like it did earlier in the decade)..

Can someone explain this?

Yeah, good question here and it is a bit tricky. First of all, let me clarify that on this question "one of the factors" is not considered plural. It's both singular and plural at the same time! If we are talking about the "one", which is the higher interest rate, it is singular and we use the pronoun "it" to refer back to the interest rate. The "factors" are plural so if we are discussing the factors we would use a plural form of the verb - "keep".

Let me see if I can help you see the proper number by stripping the sentence down and rearranging it a bit:
"One of the factors that keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control is a higher interest rate."

You can see from the sentence above that the core of the sentence is "One is a higher interest rate" - "one" is singular and takes a singular verb. The other parts of the sentence are modifiers - first, "of the factors" modifies "one" and second, "that keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control" modifies "the factors. Here you can see that factors is plural and the associated modifying phrase is also plural.

I hope that helps :)

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Most Helpful Community Reply
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: IIM A '15 (A)
Re: A higher interest rate is only one of the factors, albeit an important  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 29 Aug 2012, 09:54
Whoah..This one seems to have split the opinions right on the dotted line. Let me add my 2c.

When it come to certain pronouns (SANAMO), one has to look at the object of the preposition phrase to determine if the verb needs to be singular or plural. The SANAMO pronouns are (Some, Any, None, All, Most,One) .

A higher interest rate is only one of the factors, albeit an important one, that keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did earlier in the decade.

The emphasis in the above sentence is NOT on the higher interest rate (which is singular). The emphasis is on the subject of that -->in this case that happens to be factors.

Let us ask ourselves.

Let's look at some other examples :-
- John is one of the boys who play soccer. - The emphasis is on boys who playsoccer.
- John is the only one among the boys who plays soccer - The emphasis is on John.

Note the difference in the emphasis. The emphasis varies between "John" and "boys".

Usually when we see the construct "one of THE..blah blah.." this is good indicator that the verb needs to be singular.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IT TAKES A LOT OF TIME AND EFFORT TO POST DETAILED ANSWERS
YOUR KUDOS IS VERY MUCH APPRECIATED

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by hafizkarim on 29 Aug 2012, 05:33.
Last edited by hafizkarim on 29 Aug 2012, 09:54, edited 1 time in total.
General Discussion
VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2009, 23:44
B should be the answer
One of the + PLURAL NOUN + that/who/ +
PLURAL VERB
e.g- “He is one of the persons who make
money.”
So A and C are out.
x2suresh wrote:
A higher interest rate is only one of the factors, albeit an important one, that keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did earlier in the decade.

A) keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did
B) keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, as it did
correct comparison
C) keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control, as it did
D) keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, like earlier wrong comparison
E) keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did earlier
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2009, 23:22
A higher interest rate is only one of the factors, albeit an important one, that keep the housing market from spiraling out of control.

The "keep the housing market from spiraling out of control" is an independent clause. Relative pronoun like THAT is used to plug in clause into the sentence. It connects the noun to clause ( not just the subject ).

A higher interest rate is only one of the factors THAT keep ....

"That" works as a restrictive clause to connect "factors" to rest of the clause.

But "interest rate" is always the subject.
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2009, 12:02
7. A higher interest rate is only one of the factors, albeit an important one, that keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did earlier in the decade.

a) that keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did earlier in the decade.
b) that keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, as it did earlier in the decade
c) that keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control, as it did earlier in the decade
d) that keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, like earlier in the decade
e) that keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did earlier in the decade

ans should be 'B' ... firstly usage of 'as' is better than 'like' so A,D and E are wrong...
now 'that keep' is ok if it refers to factors, which should be the case and 'that keeps' is right if it is referring to one... but once we read two options , so ill go with B

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2009, 08:44
"one of" + plural noun (in this case factors) is plural. that's rule.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: PMP

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2009, 18:53
it is correct to say "one of my friends"

similarly here one of the "factors that keep the market up" , keep is the verb for the subject factors and not the specific "one" under discussion in main sentence

Thanks, Sri
-------------------------------
keep uppp...ing the tempo...

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2009, 01:08
'AS" for sure. a,d,e out.

But I do believe 'ONE OF THE FACTORS' requres singular.
but 'TWO OF THE FACTORS' requres plural.

number of smth - number determines whether verb is singular or plural, not smth.

But I confused with THAT. THAT refer to factors.

So, summarizing:
=================================
1) One of the factors keeps
2) Two of the factors keep
3) One of the factors that keep
4) Two of the factors that keep
=================================
Can gurus confirm it?

So, my ans is B
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stern

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2010, 19:14
Like is used when comparing nouns whereas as is used when comparing actions. In this question, since actions are compared so use of "as" is the correct one.
Retired Moderator

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2010, 21:08
Interesting discussion on this question at
http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/a-h ... -t732.html

http://drambedkarbooks.com/

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2010, 07:30
sreehari1250 wrote:

(A) that keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did earlier in the decade.
(B) that keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, as it did earlier in the decade
(C) that keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control, as it did earlier in the decade
(D) that keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, like earlier in the decade
(E) that keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did earlier in the decade

rule: one of the NOUN who/that PLURAL-VERB
---> A, C out

rule: "as" is used for clauses and "like" for nouns/noun phrases
---> E out

can someone please explain why B is correct over D?
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2010, 09:54
sreehari1250 wrote:

(A) that keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did earlier in the decade.
(B) that keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, as it did earlier in the decade
(C) that keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control, as it did earlier in the decade
(D) that keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, like earlier in the decade
(E) that keep the housing market from spiraling out of control, like it did earlier in the decade

Let us discuss this....

that keeps the ..... is modifying the "factors" not "one of the factors" so it should be plural form of the verb.. so KEEP is correct.

we use as to compare phrases and like to compare nouns
here we are comparing two phrases so it should be "as'

so clearly B
Intern
Intern
WE 1: 3 yrs

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2010, 02:15
A higher interest rate is only one of the factors ,albeit an important one,that keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control ,like it did earlier in the decade.

A. keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control ,like it did
B.keep the housing market from spiraling out of control,as it did
C. keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control,as it did
D. keep the housing market from spiraling out of control,like
E.keep the housing market from spiraling out of control ,like it did

My logic:
ONE OF THE FACTORs is singular,as it points ot to just one of the many factors,hence verb associated with it should be singular,that is KEEPS. we come down to option A and C
Now, LIKE IT DID compared two things, and AS IT DID is implying some examples,Here we are comparing higher interest rate to to older interest rate of past decade,that means we are comparing two things,So I went with option A.

You take on this pls?

Oh by the way,option A is incorrect.
VP
VP
GPA: 3.77
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2010, 02:34
student26 wrote:
A higher interest rate is only one of the factors ,albeit an important one,that keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control ,like it did earlier in the decade.

A. keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control ,like it did
B.keep the housing market from spiraling out of control,as it did
C. keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control,as it did
D. keep the housing market from spiraling out of control,like
E.keep the housing market from spiraling out of control ,like it did

My logic:
ONE OF THE FACTORs is singular,as it points ot to just one of the many factors,hence verb associated with it should be singular,that is KEEPS. we come down to option A and C
Now, LIKE IT DID compared two things, and AS IT DID is implying some examples,Here we are comparing higher interest rate to to older interest rate of past decade,that means we are comparing two things,So I went with option A.

You take on this pls?

Oh by the way,option A is incorrect.

Look at "that" following factors. (You can ignore the phrase set off by commas "albeit an important one.")
"That" indicates an essential noun modifier, which means the clause following it is modifying the noun immediately preceding it - factors (again, ignore that phrase set off by the commas). So, "factors keep" is the correct subject-verb match here.
When you say "as it did" you are referring to some noun that did something. Earlier in the sentence, the "rate" didn't do anything - I can't say, "oh, earlier in the decade the rate did X." The "market" on the other hand was spiraling out of control earlier in the decade - I know what "it did." (by Stacy)

ONE OF THE FACTORs is [strike]singular[/strike] plural.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

VP
VP
GPA: 3.77
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2010, 03:48
One more tip:

Like vs. As
Like is used to compare nouns.
As is used to compare actions.

Like vs. Such As
“like” means similar to, and “such as” means for example.

• Can you buy me some fruit like oranges or grapefruit?
This sentence would mean that you do NOT want oranges or grapefruit; instead, you'd prefer some fruit similar to oranges and grapefruit. For example, you may want pomelo, lemons, or limes.

• Can you buy me some fruit such as oranges or grapefruit?
Oranges and grapefruit are examples of the type of fruit we want.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2010, 20:54
From the below mentioned link

"one of" is a tricky construction. I think though that instead of looking at "one of" you look at what the pronoun refers to.

Mary is one of the girls who come on Friday night.
Mary is the only one of the girls who comes on Friday night.

In the first sentence, "who" refers to the girls. We can ask "who comes on Friday night?" "The girls do. And Mary is one of them." Because "who" refers to "girls," then we need to use the plural verb, "come."

In the second sentence "who" refers to Mary. We can ask "who comes on Friday nigh?" "Mary does. She's the only one." Because who refers to "Mary," then we need to use the singular verb, "comes."

In this sentence, we ask "what keeps the housing market from spiraling out of control?" "Well, there are many factors." Because the subject of "that" is "many," we'll use the plural verb, "keep." "Many factors keep the market from spiraling out of control."

Discussion here as well
http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/a-h ... -t732.html

Always tag your question

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2010, 18:03
This is explanation from Aristotle SC Grail for questions having 'one of the X' structure.

One of the ‘Noun’ (will always be plural) + that/who + Plural Verb
One of the ‘Noun’ (will always be plural)+Singular Verb (usually ‘is’)

therefore imo b is correct
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2011, 12:03
+1 B

Two reasons:
a) One of the FACTORS that: "factors" is plural, so it requires a verb in plural form (keep).
b) "like it did" is wrong. "Like" doesn't accept clauses.

PS. "IT" refers to the "market". That's why B is correct.

I think I deserve kudos 8-)

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Retired Moderator
B
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2011, 06:52
The formation is - one of the + noun in plural form + who/that + verb in plural form. Hence B is correct.

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

GMAT Club Bot
Re: A higher interest rate is only one of the factors, albeit an important &nbs [#permalink] 30 Jun 2011, 06:52

Go to page    1   2   3    Next  [ 49 posts ] 

A higher interest rate is only one of the factors, albeit an important

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap