Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:27 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 466 [393]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30776 [85]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2984 [84]
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [8]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: A majority of the international journalists surveyed view nuclear powe [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
sztiwari wrote:
A majority of the international journalists surveyed view nuclear power stations as unsafe at present but that they will, or could, be made sufficiently safe in the future.

(A) that they will, or could,

(B) that they would, or could,

(C) they will be or could

(D) think that they will be or could

(E) think the power stations would or could

Concepts tested here: Parallelism + Redundancy/Awkwardness

• Any elements linked by a conjunction ("but" and "or" in this sentence) must be parallel.

A: This answer choice fails to maintain parallelism between “view nuclear power stations as unsafe at present” and “that they will, or could, be made sufficiently safe in the future”; please remember that any elements linked by a conjunction (“but” in this sentence) must be parallel. Further, Option A fails to maintain parallelism between "will" and "could"; please remember, any elements linked by a conjunction ("or" in this sentence) must be parallel.

B: This answer choice fails to maintain parallelism between “view nuclear power stations as unsafe at present” and “that it would, or could be made sufficiently safe in the future”; please remember that any elements linked by a conjunction (“but” in this sentence) must be parallel. Further, Option B fails to maintain parallelism between "would" and "could be"; please remember, any elements linked by a conjunction ("or" in this sentence) must be parallel.

C: This answer choice fails to maintain parallelism between “view nuclear power stations as unsafe at present” and “they will be or could be made sufficiently safe in the future”; please remember that any elements linked by a conjunction (“but” in this sentence) must be parallel.

D: Correct. This answer choice maintains parallelism between “view nuclear power stations as unsafe at present” and “think that they will be or could be made sufficiently safe in the future”. Further, Option D maintains parallelism between "will be" and "could be".

E: Trap. This answer choice fails to maintain parallelism between "would" and "could be"; please remember, any elements linked by a conjunction ("or" in this sentence) must be parallel.

Hence, D is the best answer choice.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 659 [8]
Send PM
Re: A majority of the international journalists surveyed view nuclear powe [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
These type of questions really make it difficult to finalize concepts ....

A majority of the international journalists surveyed view nuclear power stations as unsafe at present but think that they will be or could be made sufficiently safe in the future.

In the above statement there are two nouns journalists and stations

The first subject ( journalists ) view .... and think ..... ( as stations don't think ) ....

It means that they will logical to think as "stations" .....
But still , they can be jouralists too ....

But another is another aspect to the above question.
We have to choose between D and E only.

A majority of the international journalists surveyed view nuclear power stations as unsafe at present but think the power stations would or could be made sufficiently safe in the future.

In E we have a serious problem in structure , because THAT is missing . A run on sentence infact.

Now between bad and worse, it the bad [D]

Please put forward you opinion regarding my analysis
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 362 [6]
Concentration: Real Estate Development
Schools:Stern, McCombs, Marshall, Wharton
 Q42  V35
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
I'm kind of confused why everyone is getting E. Why would you say 'would or could'? Could implies that it is possibe and would is generaly used to in an ureal or unlikely situation.

Ex. If I was there I would.

The beginning of the sentence says that the power stations are unsafe 'but'.

To me the logical following should be that they either will or can be safe. It doesnt make much sense to say they're not safe but the would be unless you add a reason why.

ex: They are not safe buy the would be if we introduce new safety measures.
NOT: They are not safe but they would and could be.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [4]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
it should be D...because will shows that they feel that it will definately happen
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [4]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
gmataspirant2009 wrote:
13. A majority of the international journalists surveyed view nuclear power stations as unsafe at present but that they will, or could, be made sufficiently safe in the future.
(A) that they will, or could,
(B) that they would, or could,
(C) they will be or could
(D) think that they will be or could
(E) think the power stations would or could
would or could refers to past tense, so incorrect

This question tests parallelisim.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
so, is the answer (d) ?
i dont think d is correct as in (D), they can either refer to power stations or to the jounalists.

please comment
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2984 [5]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
sumedhamahajan wrote:
so, is the answer (d) ?
i dont think d is correct as in (D), they can either refer to power stations or to the jounalists.

please comment

Journalists are not something that can be made safe. Pronoun ambiguity arises when there is more than one logical referent for a pronoun, causing the sentence to have two different possible, logical meanings.

-Sarai
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Kudos
SaraiGMAXonline wrote:
Journalists are not something that can be made safe. Pronoun ambiguity arises when there is more than one logical referent for a pronoun, causing the sentence to have two different possible, logical meanings.
-Sarai

I would normally agree with that, but sometimes I feel unsure if that rule above can be generalized....

consider the following SC from OG12 (spoiler alert here...):

A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses ...; the question is whether tourists will continue to visit game parks to see rhinoceroses after THEIR horns are trimed.

obviously journalists are not something that can be made safe, but isn't it quite obvious that humans don't have horns!??! so under your rule above, the THEIR should correctly and unambigously refer to rhinos? But OG12 says that THEIR could refer to the tourists as well.

the question is where I draw the line of possibile logical referent?

ack.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2984 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
adalfu wrote:
SaraiGMAXonline wrote:
-Sarai

I would normally agree with that, but sometimes I feel unsure if that rule above can be generalized....

consider the following SC from OG12 (spoiler alert here...):

A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses ...; the question is whether tourists will continue to visit game parks to see rhinoceroses after THEIR horns are trimed.

obviously journalists are not something that can be made safe, but isn't it quite obvious that humans don't have horns!??! so under your rule above, the THEIR should correctly and unambigously refer to rhinos? But OG12 says that THEIR could refer to the tourists as well.

the question is where I draw the line of possibile logical referent?

ack.

A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses to discourage poachers; the question is whether tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses after their horns are trimmed.
(A) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses after their horns are
(B) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks to see one once their horns are
(C) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks to see rhinoceroses once the animals’ horns have been
(D) if tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses once the animals’ horns are
(E) if tourists will continue to visit game parks to see one after the animals’ horns have been

Hi Adalfu,

I don't have the OG12 in front of me at the moment, so I don't know what they wrote in the explanation, but while the problem is here, let's break it down.

You are absolutely right that there is no way to confuse people as the referent for "their". However, when an SC problem bothers to replace a pronoun with the actual noun, the result is a clearer sentence and there'll be preference for such an answer choice. Even when a pronoun is not ambiguous, the reader does have to do the work of finding the referent, and so a sentence is always a bit clearer when the noun is used instead of the pronoun.

There are three other major issues here though:

1) Tenses: We want to indicate that the trimming precedes the visiting; this is why 'has been' is needed-- the past has to be involved in the verb.

2) If vs. Whether: IF THE SENTENCE IS NOT A CONDITIONAL, DO NOT USE 'IF'.

3) Ellipses: In B, the word 'one' means 'one rhinoceros'. But the word 'rhinoceros' does not appear in the sentence. Only the plural, 'rhinoceroses', appears, and you cannot imply a word that never shows up!

Best,
Sarai

More on conditionals in SC Lesson 8 and practice with ellipses in SC Lesson 9 at gmaxonline!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3155 [3]
Given Kudos: 322
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos