It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 07:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A mixture of poems and short fiction, Jean Toomer’s Cane has been call

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 0

A mixture of poems and short fiction, Jean Toomer’s Cane has been call [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2008, 13:08
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

66% (00:40) correct 34% (00:54) wrong based on 177 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A mixture of poems and short fiction, Jean Toomer’s Cane has been called one of the three best novels ever written by Black Americans—the others being Richard Wright, author of Native Son, and Ralph Ellison, author of Invisible Man.

(A) Black Americans—the others being Richard Wright, author of Native Son, and Ralph Ellison, author of Invisible Man

(B) Black Americans—including Native Son by Richard Wright and Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison

(C) a Black American—including Richard Wright, author of Native Son, and Ralph Ellison, author of Invisible Man

(D) a Black American—the others being Richard Wright, author of Native Son, and Ralph Ellison, author of Invisible Man

(E) a Black American—the others being Richard Wright’s Native Son and Ralph Ellison’s Invisible Man
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by hazelnut on 26 Sep 2017, 22:54, edited 3 times in total.
Edited the question.

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 856 [0], given: 19

Re: A mixture of poems and short fiction, Jean Toomer’s Cane has been call [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2008, 23:09
notahug wrote:
A mixture of poems and short fiction, Jean Toomer’s Cane has been called one of the three best novels ever written by Black Americans—the others being Richard Wright, author of Native Son, and Ralph Ellison, author of Invisible Man.

A. Black Americans—the others being Richard Wright, author of Native Son, and Ralph Ellison, author of Invisible Man
B. Black Americans—including Native Son by Richard Wright and Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison
C. a Black American—including Richard Wright, author of Native Son, and Ralph Ellison, author of Invisible Man
D. a Black American—the others being Richard Wright, author of Native Son, and Ralph Ellison, author of Invisible Man
E. a Black American—the others being Richard Wright’s Native Son and Ralph Ellison’s Invisible Man

Normally in gmat, hyphen (-) is not tested. What is given is supposed to be correct. So we only deal with correct choice and no choice has a problem with hyphen (-).

One Novel is "Jean Toomer’s Cane" and the others are Richard Wright’s Native Son and Ralph Ellison’s Invisible Man.

so E.

Verbal: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: http://gmatclub.com/forum/everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

Kudos [?]: 856 [0], given: 19

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 0

Re: A mixture of poems and short fiction, Jean Toomer’s Cane has been call [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2008, 03:53

A. Black Americans—the others being Richard Wright, author of Native Son, and Ralph Ellison, author of Invisible Man
B. Black Americans—including Native Son by Richard Wright and Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison
C. a Black American—including Richard Wright, author of Native Son, and Ralph Ellison, author of Invisible Man
D. a Black American—the others being Richard Wright, author of Native Son, and Ralph Ellison, author of Invisible Man
E. a Black American—the others being Richard Wright’s Native Son and Ralph Ellison’s Invisible Man

> ever written by a Black American C, D, E
> one of the three novels > this is followed by a novel not author > E

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 0

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 766 [0], given: 17

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2009, 07:54
awesome Q!!

I tht it was B

Ron has explained it nicely
http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/a-m ... t6725.html

lys8207 wrote:
1. A mixture of poems and short fiction, Jean Tommer’s Cane has been called one of the three best novels ever written by Black Americans-The other being Richard Wright, author of Native Son, and Ralph Ellison, author of Invisible Man.
a. Same
b. Black Americans-including Native Son By Richard Wright and Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison
c. a black American-including Richard, author of Native son, and Ralph, author of Invisible Man
d. a black American-the other being Richard, author of Native son, and Ralph Ellion, author of Invisible Man
e. a black American- the author being Richard Wright’s Native Son and Ralph’s invisible Man
I chose B but the answer says E.

I eliminate A,D,E becuase they use being,

and why should i go to CDE, rather than AB? difference b/w black americans and a black american?

Thanks.

http://gmatclub.com/forum/math-polygons-87336.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/competition-for-the-best-gmat-error-log-template-86232.html

Kudos [?]: 766 [0], given: 17

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 225 [0], given: 13

Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2009, 11:55
lys8207 wrote:
1. A mixture of poems and short fiction, Jean Tommer’s Cane has been called one of the three best novels ever written by Black Americans-The other being Richard Wright, author of Native Son, and Ralph Ellison, author of Invisible Man.
a. Same
b. Black Americans-including Native Son By Richard Wright and Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison
c. a black American-including Richard, author of Native son, and Ralph, author of Invisible Man
d. a black American-the other being Richard, author of Native son, and Ralph Ellion, author of Invisible Man
e. a black American- the author being Richard Wright’s Native Son and Ralph’s invisible Man
I chose B but the answer says E.

I eliminate A,D,E becuase they use being,

and why should i go to CDE, rather than AB? difference b/w black americans and a black american?

Thanks.

When typing questions (or cutting-pasting them) kindly ensure there are no unnecessary typos further obscuring the question's meaning. Choice E incorrectly mentions "the author being" whereas it should be "the OTHERS being".

Kudos [?]: 225 [0], given: 13

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 259 [0], given: 13

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2010, 04:08
noboru wrote:
The being shortcut does not wokr here...

Is the OA E? E looks to be the only option with good parallelism - Jean Toomer's Cane, Richard Wright's Native Son and Ralph Ellison's Invisible Man.
I did not understand what you meant by 'the being shortcut does not work here..'

My debrief: done-and-dusted-730-q49-v40

Kudos [?]: 259 [0], given: 13

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 1500 [0], given: 2

Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2010, 05:50
Two years later...OA is E.
For me is between B and E, since are the only that lists novels rather than authors.
Please, could anybody explain what's wrong with B?

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 1500 [0], given: 2

Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 484 [0], given: 33

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2010, 06:35
Jean Toomer’s Cane and the others are Richard Wright’s Native Son and Ralph Ellison’s Invisible Man.. IS THE RIGHT CONSTRUCTION.

And I don't think GMAT will test only this error, sentence will have one or more error.

http://drambedkarbooks.com/

Kudos [?]: 484 [0], given: 33

5 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8171 [5], given: 364

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2012, 06:00
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The correct transcription should read the others and not the other in D and E.

Why in spite of stating the names of the three authors, GMAT prefers to use the term, a Black American, is a riddle. It may be because a Black American notionally stands as a generic name for all the Black American authors. But GMAT seems to have ignored that point and gone for some subtle //ism by choosing E.

A mixture of poems and short fiction, Jean Toomer's Cane has been one of the three best novels ever written by Black Americans-the other being Richard Wright, author of Native Son, and Ralph Ellison, author of Invisible Man.

a. Black Americans-the other being Richard Wright, author of Native Son, and Ralph Ellison, author of Invisible Man ------ wrong comparison between a book and some humans

B.Black Americans-including Native Son by Richard Wright and Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison --- Toomer’s Cane should be matched by equally parallel Richard Wright’s Native Son and Ralph Ellison’s Invisible Man and not by the prepositional possessive using - of -.

c.a Black American-including Richard Wright, author of Native Son, and Ralph Ellison, author of Invisible Man --- wrong comparison; same as in A

d.a Black American-the others being Richard Wright, author of Native Son, and Ralph Ellison, author of Invisible Man – wrong comparison; same as in A and C

e.a Black American-the others being Richard Wright's Native Son and Ralph Elision’s Invisible Man --- correct parallelism, possibly the best among the lot , in spite of the prickly “ A Black American”

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8171 [5], given: 364

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 16

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2012, 20:01
I thought being is almost always incorrect and eliminated those choices :(

Later found that this question is one of the few sentences where being need to be chosen as the correct choice for other reasons.

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 16

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 1630 [0], given: 197

Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2013, 11:44
WaterFlowsUp wrote:
is usage of being is fine?
I was under the impression that 'being' is forbidden on the gmat

hi,

use of being is not always wrong on GMAT.

Go through the below link in order to understand correct usage of being:

when-you-should-eliminate-being-the-answer-is-here-141086.html#p1133958

hope it helps

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: http://gmatclub.com/forum/vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-analytical-writing-assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 8

GMAT Date: 11-18-2013

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2013, 13:28
This post received
KUDOS
shouldn't it be "Others" and not Other since we are referring to two books.

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 8

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 1451 [0], given: 543

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2013, 05:23
madhul90 wrote:
shouldn't it be "Others" and not Other since we are referring to two books.

Remember that you will not always get the best sentences in the SC section our objective is to pick the best from what is available in the options ( there are many cases where the sentences aren't perfect but that's how this test works)

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Kudos [?]: 1451 [0], given: 543

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 31

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
WE: Business Development (Education)

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2013, 08:05
the question tests 'possession'.

Jean Toomer's Cane ; Richard Wright's Native Son ; Ralph Ellision's Invisible Man

Experts please correct me if I am wrong.

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 31

Director
Director

Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2013, 08:28
kulkarnios wrote:
the question tests 'possession'.

Jean Toomer's Cane ; Richard Wright's Native Son ; Ralph Ellision's Invisible Man

Experts please correct me if I am wrong.

IMO opinion..all we have to do is to make the sentence correct meaning wise and gramatically...

A mixture of poems and short fiction, Jean Toomer's Cane has been one of the three best novels ever written by Black Americans-the other being Richard Wright, author of Native Son, and Ralph Ellision, author of Invisible Man.
According to meaning: CANE(book) has been one of the three best novels ever written by ....-the other being===>so after this you are going to describe about other 2 books..and not the writers name...that is why option A C D are wrong.

b.Black Americans-including Native Son by Richard Wright and Invisible Man by Ralph Ellision==>including is wrong here...as it is not clear what is including.

e.a Black American-the other being Richard Wright's Native Son and Ralph Ellision's Invisible Man==>this one is correct.

but suppose lf in case of given option E below option F is given
f) a Black American-the other being Native Son by richard wright and Invisible Man by ralph ellison.
I THINK THIS OPTION F is also gramatically correct.and in absence of option E this is the best.

but between E and F CHOOSE E as it is more similar in structure to the non underlined portion.

hope it helps

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: http://gmatclub.com/forum/vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-analytical-writing-assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 17

Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q51 V27
GMAT 3: 680 Q50 V31
GMAT 4: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 5: 760 Q50 V42
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2015, 01:39
I don't understand why B is incorrect?
The reason that Ron Purewal shows in the Manhattan forum is that "Native Son by Richard and Invisible Man by Ralph" is not parallel to "Jean Toomer's Cane". But I think is it necessary to make parallelism exactly word by word like this? Is Noun vs Noun not enough?

The other reason that I think why B is incorrect is that the usage of "including" right after "Black Americans" because it may make sense that "Including" modifies "Black Americans". But according to what I learn from e-GMAT SC course, Including definitely can jump over "Black Americans" to modify "Best Novels" if there is no ambiguity and "Black American" cannot be placed any else where. So I think choice B is the case.

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 17

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9279 [0], given: 340

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2015, 00:58
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
tronghieu1987 wrote:
The reason that Ron Purewal shows in the Manhattan forum is that "Native Son by Richard and Invisible Man by Ralph" is not parallel to "Jean Toomer's Cane". But I think is it necessary to make parallelism exactly word by word like this? Is Noun vs Noun not enough?

The other reason that I think why B is incorrect is that the usage of "including" right after "Black Americans" because it may make sense that "Including" modifies "Black Americans". But according to what I learn from e-GMAT SC course, Including definitely can jump over "Black Americans" to modify "Best Novels" if there is no ambiguity and "Black American" cannot be placed any else where. So I think choice B is the case.

Hi tronghieu1987,

Thanks for posting your question here. :-)

I would reject answer choices B and C for the usage of "including". Now "including" is a noun modifier that should modify the preceding noun entity. However, it cannot jump over the prepositional phrase "by Black Americans" because it modifies the action denoted by the verb-ed modifier "written". It does not modify the noun entity "one of the three best novels". So here we can say that usage of "including" does leave a scope for some ambiguity.

So choice B is ambiguous and Choice C presents incorrect comparison because the book has been compared to two novelists.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
SJ

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9279 [0], given: 340

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 260

GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2015, 14:00
bkparmar wrote:
A mixture of poems and short fiction, Jean Toomer's Cane has been one of the three best novels ever written by Black Americans-the other being Richard Wright, author of Native Son, and Ralph Ellision, author of Invisible Man.

a.Black Americans-the other being Richard Wright, author of Native Son, and Ralph Ellision, author of Invisible Man
b.Black Americans-including Native Son by Richard Wright and Invisible Man by Ralph Ellision
c.a Black American-including Richard Wright, author of Native Son, and Ralph Ellision, author of Invisible Man
d.a Black American-the other being Richard Wright, author of Native Son, and Ralph Ellision, author of Invisible Man
e.a Black American-the other being Richard Wright's Native Son and Ralph Ellision's Invisible Man

A very nice but subtle question:

Think in this way: what should the modifier after dash modify? The writers or the books?

In the main sentence, whether we have 'a Black American' or 'Black American', we have the phrase 'the three best novels'. As a result, the modifier gives further information about these three books. However, one of these three has been named in the main sentence, Jean Toomer' Cane, so we need two other books names, which can be best properly be stated in parallel structures, i.e., Jean Toomer's Cane, Richard Wright's Native Son, Ralph Ellision's Invisible Man

Since the modifier after dash should modify and give further information about the other two books, and not the writers, we can eliminate A, B, D

Between B and E:

1. 'including' is not as precise and clear as 'the other' that clearly indicates other items.

2. As mentioned above, in E the items are named structurally in the same way as 'Jean Toomer's Cane' has been.

Last edited by apolo on 02 Jun 2015, 02:14, edited 1 time in total.

Manager
Manager

GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2015, 02:09
egmat wrote:
tronghieu1987 wrote:

Hi tronghieu1987,

Thanks for posting your question here. :-)

I would reject answer choices B and C for the usage of "including". Now "including" is a noun modifier that should modify the preceding noun entity. However, it cannot jump over the prepositional phrase "by Black Americans" because it modifies the action denoted by the verb-ed modifier "written". It does not modify the noun entity "one of the three best novels". So here we can say that usage of "including" does leave a scope for some ambiguity.

So choice B is ambiguous and Choice C presents incorrect comparison because the book has been compared to two novelists.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
SJ

Hi e-GMAT

You have rejected choices B and C for the usage of 'including'; however, see this question from GMATprep: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-new-image-of-stone-age-people-as-systematic-hunters-of-75120.html

In the correct answer choice, 'including' modifies 'tools', and it has jumped over 'found' and 'in Germany', while 'in Germany', as a prepositional phrase, modifies the past participle 'found'.

Could you please explain why here 'including' cannot jump but in that question it can?

Expert Post
SVP
SVP
B

Kudos [?]: 541 [0], given: 23

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2015, 11:08
A mixture of poems and short fiction, Jean Toomer's Cane has been called one of the three best novels ever written by Black Americans-the others being Richard Wright, author of Native Son, and Ralph Ellision, author of Invisible Man.

The novel Cane was written by Jean Toomer. Since Jean Toomer is singular and should be followed by a singular noun (a Black American). Eliminate A and B.

As we are mentioning the three best novels, the novels and not the authors should follow. Eliminate C and D

Janielle Williams

Customer Support

Special Offer: $80-100/hr. Online Private Tutoring
GMAT On Demand Course $299
Free Online Trial Hour

Last edited by OptimusPrepJanielle on 17 Jun 2015, 07:23, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 541 [0], given: 23

Re: A mixture of poems and short fiction, Jean Toomer’s Cane has been call   [#permalink] 02 Jun 2015, 11:08

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 31 posts ] 

A mixture of poems and short fiction, Jean Toomer’s Cane has been call

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap