It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 06:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A new drug, taken twice daily for one month

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 447

Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
A new drug, taken twice daily for one month [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2016, 00:15
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

57% (01:17) correct 43% (01:06) wrong based on 547 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Which of the following most logically completes the argument?

A new drug, taken twice daily for one month, is an effective treatment for a certain disease. The drug now most commonly prescribed for the disease occasionally has serious side effects such as seizures; in field tests, the new drug’s side effects, though no worse than mild nausea, turned out to be much more frequent. Nevertheless, the new drug is clearly preferable as a treatment, since _____.

A)people who experience nausea are prone to discontinue use of the new drug prematurely
B)It is possible that the drug now most commonly prescribed has side effects that have not yet been attributed to it
C)other drugs for the disease have typically been prescribed only for patients allergic to the most commonly prescribed drug
D)people who have received effective treatment for disease do not generally contract the disease again
E)there is a nonprescription medication that when taken with the new drug prevents the onset of nausea

Please explain your line of reasoning
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

आत्मनॊ मोक्षार्थम् जगद्धिताय च

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 447

2 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 788 [2], given: 64

Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: A new drug, taken twice daily for one month [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2016, 01:05
This post received
KUDOS
NandishSS wrote:

A new drug, taken twice daily for one month, is an effective treatment for a certain disease. The drug now most commonly prescribed for the disease occasionally has serious side effects such as seizures; in field tests, the new drug’s side effects, though no worse than mild nausea, turned out to be much more frequent. Nevertheless, the new drug is clearly preferable as a treatment, since _____.

A)people who experience nausea are prone to discontinue use of the new drug prematurely
B)It is possible that the drug now most commonly prescribed has side effects that have not yet been attributed to it
C)other drugs for the disease have typically been prescribed only for patients allergic to the most commonly prescribed drug
D)people who have received effective treatment for disease do not generally contract the disease again
E)there is a nonprescription medication that when taken with the new drug prevents the onset of nausea

We have to add something that supports the contention that inspite of side effects this drug is preferable.

A)people who experience nausea are prone to discontinue use of the new drug prematurely --> If people are prone to discontinue the drug , then it couldn't be concluded that this drug is a preferable treatment.
B)It is possible that the drug now most commonly prescribed has side effects that have not yet been attributed to it --> Weakens the conclusion. If many new side effects are going to come into picture then it would not be a preferred drug.
C)other drugs for the disease have typically been prescribed only for patients allergic to the most commonly prescribed drug --> Irrelevent as we have to talk about this drug only.
D)people who have received effective treatment for disease do not generally contract the disease again --> Irrelevent.
E)there is a nonprescription medication that when taken with the new drug prevents the onset of nausea --> If the non prescription medicine could help preventing nausea and tis drug could easily perform its function, then it would be the preferable drug. Hence, Correct

V21 ---> V40!

Kudos [?]: 788 [2], given: 64

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 25

Concentration: Technology
Schools: AGSM '20 (A)
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2016, 12:36
In B, how does it weaken? B says it's possible the current drug has still more side effects, that is other than seizures. That logically makes the new drug preferable. So IMO B is ok. Although it isn't the OA.

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 25

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3282 [1], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2016, 14:16
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
ajay2121988 wrote:
In B, how does it weaken? B says it's possible the current drug has still more side effects, that is other than seizures. That logically makes the new drug preferable. So IMO B is ok. Although it isn't the OA.

I see your point. B and E both could fill in the gap.

However, the reason that I can suggest why E is better than B is that option B states a probable case, whereas option E states a certain case and hence is stronger.

Kudos [?]: 3282 [1], given: 22

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [1], given: 98

Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.1
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
A new drug, taken twice daily for one month, is an effective treatment [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2016, 13:38
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
A new drug, taken twice daily for one month, is an effective treatment for a certain disease. The drug now most commonly prescribed for the disease occasionally has serious side effects such as seizures; the new drug has side effects much more frequently, but the worst of them is mild nausea. Therefore, the new drug is clearly preferable as a treatment.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

A) It is possible that the drug now most commonly prescribed has side effects that have not yet been attributed to it.
B) People who experience nausea are prone to discontinue use of the new drug prematurely.
C) Other drugs for the disease have typically been prescribed only for patients allergic to the most commonly prescribed drug.
D) People who have received effective treatment for disease do not generally contract the disease again.
E) There is a nonprescription medication that when taken with the new drug prevents the onset of nausea.

B

P.S.: there is a similar "complete the argument question" in GMAT Prep EP2:

http://gmatclub.com/forum/a-new-drug-taken-twice-daily-for-one-month-222505.html

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times." Bruce Lee

"I hated every minute of training, but I said, "Don’t quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion."" Muhammad Ali

Kudos [?]: 12 [1], given: 98

BSchool Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 788 [0], given: 64

Re: A new drug, taken twice daily for one month, is an effective treatment [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2016, 01:57
RussianDude wrote:
A new drug, taken twice daily for one month, is an effective treatment for a certain disease. The drug now most commonly prescribed for the disease occasionally has serious side effects such as seizures; the new drug has side effects much more frequently, but the worst of them is mild nausea. Therefore, the new drug is clearly preferable as a treatment.

A) It is possible that the drug now most commonly prescribed has side effects that have not yet been attributed to it.
B) People who experience nausea are prone to discontinue use of the new drug prematurely.
C) Other drugs for the disease have typically been prescribed only for patients allergic to the most commonly prescribed drug.
D) People who have received effective treatment for disease do not generally contract the disease again.
E) There is a nonprescription medication that when taken with the new drug prevents the onset of nausea.

B

http://gmatclub.com/forum/a-new-drug-taken-twice-daily-for-one-month-222505.html

A) It is possible that the drug now most commonly prescribed has side effects that have not yet been attributed to it. --> Conclusion is about new drugs. Not about current drug. Kind of Strengthener
B) People who experience nausea are prone to discontinue use of the new drug prematurely. --> If they are discontinue using prematurely, it may lead to other implications.
C) Other drugs for the disease have typically been prescribed only for patients allergic to the most commonly prescribed drug. : Other drugs, Out of context.
D) People who have received effective treatment for disease do not generally contract the disease again. --> Irrelevant, as it has nothing to related to the conclusion.
E) There is a nonprescription medication that when taken with the new drug prevents the onset of nausea. --> Strengthener. Hence, incorrect.

V21 ---> V40!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 349

Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Re: A new drug, taken twice daily for one month, is an effective treatment [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2016, 12:51
RussianDude wrote:

B

B it is. If people are prone to discontinue use of the new drug then cases of mild nausea will become more and more frequent.

"Are you gangsters?" - "No we are Russians!"

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 349

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3282 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2017, 19:36
The OA is correct and explanations provided in the thread appear sufficient. If there are any specific questions, please post them here and then click again on the "Request Expert Reply" button – closing this request.

Kudos [?]: 3282 [0], given: 22

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2017, 05:32
My point B and E. This is more really. The higher sales price could increase the revenues of the old drug. It is also necessary to consider in this matter.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 164

A new drug, taken twice daily for one month [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2017, 19:45
NandishSS wrote:

Why does this argument add "the new drug's side effects- mild nausea- turned out to be much more frequent" - this is a counterpremise. In order for the argument to make a logical conclusion it has to introduce a premise that refutes or invalidates the counterpremise. What offsets the nausea or eliminates it? A new drug.

E

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 164

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2017, 20:40
sayantanc2k wrote:
ajay2121988 wrote:

However, the reason that I can suggest why E is better than B is that option B states a probable case, whereas option E states a certain case and hence is stronger.

Is OA B or E

Sent from my XT1706 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 45

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2017, 13:37
sayantanc2k wrote:
ajay2121988 wrote:

hi,

Howcome B is a possible candidate for the right answer? If you can explain reasoning , please.

BSchool Forum Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2017, 00:25
Jagdishvenkat wrote:
Is OA B or E

Sent from my XT1706 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Hi Jagdishvenkat ,

OA is E.

pratik1709 wrote:
hi,

Howcome B is a possible candidate for the right answer? If you can explain reasoning , please.

Hi pratik1709 ,

B is a possible candidate because it says the existing drug may have some unknown side effects. It means the new drug is still preferable.

But since we have a strong candidate E here, I would prefer not to go with B.

Does that make sense?

V21 ---> V40!

Manager
Manager
B

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2017, 00:40
Yeah..got it..
I read as New Drug instead of current drug and got confused..

Anyway..thank for clarifying ..

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 826

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2017, 03:21
sayantanc2k wrote:
ajay2121988 wrote:

To add to your reasoning about why B is not correct, consider the following:

What B says is that some side effects that are YET UNKNOWN can also be attributed to the commonly prescribed drug. But we cannot establish a preference, or choose not to establish one, based on something that is unknown. Only after something is known can we make a point. The same thing may also be true for the new drug, that it also has some side effects that are YET UNKNOWN. So B doesn't really do anything better than what E does as an answer.

Spread some love..Like = +1 Kudos :)

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 826

Re: A new drug, taken twice daily for one month   [#permalink] 25 Aug 2017, 03:21

A new drug, taken twice daily for one month

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap