GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Oct 2019, 04:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A new drug, taken twice daily for one month, is an effective treatment

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Director
Director
User avatar
V
Joined: 06 Jan 2015
Posts: 689
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
A new drug, taken twice daily for one month, is an effective treatment  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 27 Sep 2018, 03:54
31
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

64% (01:48) correct 36% (01:58) wrong based on 1018 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Which of the following most logically completes the argument?

A new drug, taken twice daily for one month, is an effective treatment for a certain disease. The drug now most commonly prescribed for the disease occasionally has serious side effects such as seizures; in field tests, the new drug’s side effects, though no worse than mild nausea, turned out to be much more frequent. Nevertheless, the new drug is clearly preferable as a treatment, since _____.

A) people who experience nausea are prone to discontinue use of the new drug prematurely
B) It is possible that the drug now most commonly prescribed has side effects that have not yet been attributed to it
C) other drugs for the disease have typically been prescribed only for patients allergic to the most commonly prescribed drug
D) people who have received effective treatment for disease do not generally contract the disease again
E) there is a nonprescription medication that when taken with the new drug prevents the onset of nausea



_________________
आत्मनॊ मोक्षार्थम् जगद्धिताय च

Resource: GMATPrep RCs With Solution

Originally posted by NandishSS on 24 Jul 2016, 00:15.
Last edited by Bunuel on 27 Sep 2018, 03:54, edited 3 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Community Reply
Board of Directors
User avatar
V
Status: Stepping into my 10 years long dream
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 3577
Reviews Badge
Re: A new drug, taken twice daily for one month, is an effective treatment  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2016, 01:05
3
2
NandishSS wrote:
Which of the following most logically completes the argument?

A new drug, taken twice daily for one month, is an effective treatment for a certain disease. The drug now most commonly prescribed for the disease occasionally has serious side effects such as seizures; in field tests, the new drug’s side effects, though no worse than mild nausea, turned out to be much more frequent. Nevertheless, the new drug is clearly preferable as a treatment, since _____.

A)people who experience nausea are prone to discontinue use of the new drug prematurely
B)It is possible that the drug now most commonly prescribed has side effects that have not yet been attributed to it
C)other drugs for the disease have typically been prescribed only for patients allergic to the most commonly prescribed drug
D)people who have received effective treatment for disease do not generally contract the disease again
E)there is a nonprescription medication that when taken with the new drug prevents the onset of nausea


Please explain your line of reasoning


We have to add something that supports the contention that inspite of side effects this drug is preferable.

A)people who experience nausea are prone to discontinue use of the new drug prematurely --> If people are prone to discontinue the drug , then it couldn't be concluded that this drug is a preferable treatment.
B)It is possible that the drug now most commonly prescribed has side effects that have not yet been attributed to it --> Weakens the conclusion. If many new side effects are going to come into picture then it would not be a preferred drug.
C)other drugs for the disease have typically been prescribed only for patients allergic to the most commonly prescribed drug --> Irrelevent as we have to talk about this drug only.
D)people who have received effective treatment for disease do not generally contract the disease again --> Irrelevent.
E)there is a nonprescription medication that when taken with the new drug prevents the onset of nausea --> If the non prescription medicine could help preventing nausea and tis drug could easily perform its function, then it would be the preferable drug. Hence, Correct
_________________
My LinkedIn abhimahna.
My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.
New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here.
General Discussion
Current Student
avatar
B
Joined: 08 Feb 2016
Posts: 68
Location: India
Concentration: Technology
Schools: AGSM '20 (A)
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 4
Re: A new drug, taken twice daily for one month, is an effective treatment  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2016, 12:36
In B, how does it weaken? B says it's possible the current drug has still more side effects, that is other than seizures. That logically makes the new drug preferable. So IMO B is ok. Although it isn't the OA.

Posted from my mobile device
Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 2861
Location: Germany
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: A new drug, taken twice daily for one month, is an effective treatment  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2016, 14:16
4
ajay2121988 wrote:
In B, how does it weaken? B says it's possible the current drug has still more side effects, that is other than seizures. That logically makes the new drug preferable. So IMO B is ok. Although it isn't the OA.

Posted from my mobile device


I see your point. B and E both could fill in the gap.

However, the reason that I can suggest why E is better than B is that option B states a probable case, whereas option E states a certain case and hence is stronger.
Board of Directors
User avatar
V
Status: Stepping into my 10 years long dream
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 3577
Reviews Badge
Re: A new drug, taken twice daily for one month, is an effective treatment  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2016, 01:57
RussianDude wrote:
A new drug, taken twice daily for one month, is an effective treatment for a certain disease. The drug now most commonly prescribed for the disease occasionally has serious side effects such as seizures; the new drug has side effects much more frequently, but the worst of them is mild nausea. Therefore, the new drug is clearly preferable as a treatment.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

A) It is possible that the drug now most commonly prescribed has side effects that have not yet been attributed to it.
B) People who experience nausea are prone to discontinue use of the new drug prematurely.
C) Other drugs for the disease have typically been prescribed only for patients allergic to the most commonly prescribed drug.
D) People who have received effective treatment for disease do not generally contract the disease again.
E) There is a nonprescription medication that when taken with the new drug prevents the onset of nausea.

Spoiler: :: OA
B


P.S.: there is a similar "complete the argument question" in GMAT Prep EP2:

http://gmatclub.com/forum/a-new-drug-taken-twice-daily-for-one-month-222505.html


A) It is possible that the drug now most commonly prescribed has side effects that have not yet been attributed to it. --> Conclusion is about new drugs. Not about current drug. Kind of Strengthener
B) People who experience nausea are prone to discontinue use of the new drug prematurely. --> If they are discontinue using prematurely, it may lead to other implications.
C) Other drugs for the disease have typically been prescribed only for patients allergic to the most commonly prescribed drug. : Other drugs, Out of context.
D) People who have received effective treatment for disease do not generally contract the disease again. --> Irrelevant, as it has nothing to related to the conclusion.
E) There is a nonprescription medication that when taken with the new drug prevents the onset of nausea. --> Strengthener. Hence, incorrect.

_________________
My LinkedIn abhimahna.
My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.
New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 02 Dec 2014
Posts: 354
Location: Russian Federation
Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Re: A new drug, taken twice daily for one month, is an effective treatment  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2016, 12:51
RussianDude wrote:
A new drug, taken twice daily for one month, is an effective treatment for a certain disease. The drug now most commonly prescribed for the disease occasionally has serious side effects such as seizures; the new drug has side effects much more frequently, but the worst of them is mild nausea. Therefore, the new drug is clearly preferable as a treatment.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

A) It is possible that the drug now most commonly prescribed has side effects that have not yet been attributed to it.
B) People who experience nausea are prone to discontinue use of the new drug prematurely.
C) Other drugs for the disease have typically been prescribed only for patients allergic to the most commonly prescribed drug.
D) People who have received effective treatment for disease do not generally contract the disease again.
E) There is a nonprescription medication that when taken with the new drug prevents the onset of nausea.

Spoiler: :: OA
B


P.S.: there is a similar "complete the argument question" in GMAT Prep EP2:

http://gmatclub.com/forum/a-new-drug-taken-twice-daily-for-one-month-222505.html


B it is. If people are prone to discontinue use of the new drug then cases of mild nausea will become more and more frequent.
_________________
"Are you gangsters?" - "No we are Russians!"
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 16 Mar 2017
Posts: 1
Re: A new drug, taken twice daily for one month, is an effective treatment  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2017, 05:32
My point B and E. This is more really. The higher sales price could increase the revenues of the old drug. It is also necessary to consider in this matter.
Director
Director
avatar
S
Joined: 12 Nov 2016
Posts: 699
Location: United States
Schools: Yale '18
GMAT 1: 650 Q43 V37
GRE 1: Q157 V158
GPA: 2.66
Re: A new drug, taken twice daily for one month, is an effective treatment  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2017, 19:45
NandishSS wrote:
Which of the following most logically completes the argument?

A new drug, taken twice daily for one month, is an effective treatment for a certain disease. The drug now most commonly prescribed for the disease occasionally has serious side effects such as seizures; in field tests, the new drug’s side effects, though no worse than mild nausea, turned out to be much more frequent. Nevertheless, the new drug is clearly preferable as a treatment, since _____.

A)people who experience nausea are prone to discontinue use of the new drug prematurely
B)It is possible that the drug now most commonly prescribed has side effects that have not yet been attributed to it
C)other drugs for the disease have typically been prescribed only for patients allergic to the most commonly prescribed drug
D)people who have received effective treatment for disease do not generally contract the disease again
E)there is a nonprescription medication that when taken with the new drug prevents the onset of nausea


Please explain your line of reasoning


Why does this argument add "the new drug's side effects- mild nausea- turned out to be much more frequent" - this is a counterpremise. In order for the argument to make a logical conclusion it has to introduce a premise that refutes or invalidates the counterpremise. What offsets the nausea or eliminates it? A new drug.

E
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Jul 2017
Posts: 9
Re: A new drug, taken twice daily for one month, is an effective treatment  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2017, 20:40
sayantanc2k wrote:
ajay2121988 wrote:
In B, how does it weaken? B says it's possible the current drug has still more side effects, that is other than seizures. That logically makes the new drug preferable. So IMO B is ok. Although it isn't the OA.

Posted from my mobile device


I see your point. B and E both could fill in the gap.

However, the reason that I can suggest why E is better than B is that option B states a probable case, whereas option E states a certain case and hence is stronger.

Is OA B or E

Sent from my XT1706 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 04 Feb 2017
Posts: 41
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: A new drug, taken twice daily for one month, is an effective treatment  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2017, 13:37
sayantanc2k wrote:
ajay2121988 wrote:
In B, how does it weaken? B says it's possible the current drug has still more side effects, that is other than seizures. That logically makes the new drug preferable. So IMO B is ok. Although it isn't the OA.

Posted from my mobile device


I see your point. B and E both could fill in the gap.

However, the reason that I can suggest why E is better than B is that option B states a probable case, whereas option E states a certain case and hence is stronger.



hi,

Howcome B is a possible candidate for the right answer? If you can explain reasoning , please.
Board of Directors
User avatar
V
Status: Stepping into my 10 years long dream
Joined: 18 Jul 2015
Posts: 3577
Reviews Badge
Re: A new drug, taken twice daily for one month, is an effective treatment  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2017, 00:25
Jagdishvenkat wrote:
Is OA B or E

Sent from my XT1706 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app


Hi Jagdishvenkat ,

OA is E.

pratik1709 wrote:
hi,

Howcome B is a possible candidate for the right answer? If you can explain reasoning , please.


Hi pratik1709 ,

B is a possible candidate because it says the existing drug may have some unknown side effects. It means the new drug is still preferable.

But since we have a strong candidate E here, I would prefer not to go with B.

Does that make sense?
_________________
My LinkedIn abhimahna.
My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog
GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.
New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!
Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free
Check our new About Us Page here.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 04 Feb 2017
Posts: 41
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: A new drug, taken twice daily for one month, is an effective treatment  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2017, 00:40
Yeah..got it..
I read as New Drug instead of current drug and got confused..

Anyway..thank for clarifying ..

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 03 Apr 2013
Posts: 264
Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 3
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A new drug, taken twice daily for one month, is an effective treatment  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2017, 03:21
sayantanc2k wrote:
ajay2121988 wrote:
In B, how does it weaken? B says it's possible the current drug has still more side effects, that is other than seizures. That logically makes the new drug preferable. So IMO B is ok. Although it isn't the OA.

Posted from my mobile device


I see your point. B and E both could fill in the gap.

However, the reason that I can suggest why E is better than B is that option B states a probable case, whereas option E states a certain case and hence is stronger.


To add to your reasoning about why B is not correct, consider the following:

What B says is that some side effects that are YET UNKNOWN can also be attributed to the commonly prescribed drug. But we cannot establish a preference, or choose not to establish one, based on something that is unknown. Only after something is known can we make a point. The same thing may also be true for the new drug, that it also has some side effects that are YET UNKNOWN. So B doesn't really do anything better than what E does as an answer.

Posted from my mobile device
_________________
Spread some love..Like = +1 Kudos :)
Intern
Intern
avatar
S
Joined: 16 Aug 2014
Posts: 49
CAT Tests
Re: A new drug, taken twice daily for one month, is an effective treatment  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2018, 03:51
1
can anyone explain why D is irrelevant?
_________________
Hit Kudos if you like the post
Manager
Manager
User avatar
P
Joined: 24 Mar 2017
Posts: 149
Location: India
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.98
Re: A new drug, taken twice daily for one month, is an effective treatment  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2018, 05:13
mayursurya wrote:
can anyone explain why D is irrelevant?


mayursurya

Conclusion: Nevertheless, the new drug is clearly preferable as a treatment

And we have to strengthen this conclusion. Option D states:

people who have received effective treatment for disease do not generally contract the disease again
This option states that people don't contract the disease again after treatment, but it doesn't tell anything about why the new drug is preferable as treament.

Option e while states that the side effects related to the new drug can be avoided easily by use of non-prescription drug. This is clearly an advantage of the new drug over most commonly used drug.
_________________
Sailing through rough waters. Stars & few kudos will steer me past.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 24 Jun 2016
Posts: 344
GMAT 1: 770 Q60 V60
GPA: 4
Re: A new drug, taken twice daily for one month, is an effective treatment  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2018, 07:38
1
Answer E is correct. The only side effect that the new drug produces is mild nausea. So if it is easy to eliminate this only side effect, you can conclude that the new drug is a better treatment.
_________________
Stuck in the 600's and want to score 700+ on the GMAT?
If this describes you, we should talk. I specialize in getting motivated students into the 700's.


$90/hour as of August 2019. I am not accepting any more students for the Fall 2019 application cycle, but if you are planning to apply in 2020, feel free to reach out!


http://www.facebook.com/HanoiGMATtutor
HanoiGMATTutor@gmail.com
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Jan 2019
Posts: 50
Re: A new drug, taken twice daily for one month, is an effective treatment  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2019, 22:13
Nausea is the weakening point for the new drug while the drug used now has many serious weakening points. If we have to weaken the preference of new drug over old drug, we have to consider people who experience nausea and show that they won’t prefer the new drug. Choice B does the required. Hence, B is the answer.
Director
Director
User avatar
D
Affiliations: IIT Dhanbad
Joined: 13 Mar 2017
Posts: 728
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Re: A new drug, taken twice daily for one month, is an effective treatment  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2019, 06:35
NandishSS wrote:
Which of the following most logically completes the argument?

A new drug, taken twice daily for one month, is an effective treatment for a certain disease. The drug now most commonly prescribed for the disease occasionally has serious side effects such as seizures; in field tests, the new drug’s side effects, though no worse than mild nausea, turned out to be much more frequent. Nevertheless, the new drug is clearly preferable as a treatment, since _____.

A) people who experience nausea are prone to discontinue use of the new drug prematurely
B) It is possible that the drug now most commonly prescribed has side effects that have not yet been attributed to it
C) other drugs for the disease have typically been prescribed only for patients allergic to the most commonly prescribed drug
D) people who have received effective treatment for disease do not generally contract the disease again
E) there is a nonprescription medication that when taken with the new drug prevents the onset of nausea




Premise : A new drug, taken twice daily for one month, is an effective treatment for a certain disease.
The drug now most commonly prescribed for the disease occasionally has serious side effects such as seizures; in field tests, the new drug’s side effects, though no worse than mild nausea, turned out to be much more frequent.

Conclusion : Nevertheless, the new drug is clearly preferable as a treatment, since...(premise)

Pre-thinking : 1. May be there is no other drug available to cure the disease completely and this drug is highly effective.
2. There may be some medicine available to cure the nausea even while using this new drug.

Options :
A) people who experience nausea are prone to discontinue use of the new drug prematurely
If people stop using drug on experiencing nausea, this drug will not be preferable since the cases of nausea turned out to be frequent and more than expected.

B) It is possible that the drug now most commonly prescribed has side effects that have not yet been attributed to it
Current most commonly prescribed drug may also have side effects, but it has not been proven yet in the field tests while the new drugs side effect has been proved in the field test.

C) other drugs for the disease have typically been prescribed only for patients allergic to the most commonly prescribed drug
This is strengthening the use of most prescribed drug and not the new drug.

D) people who have received effective treatment for disease do not generally contract the disease again
Out of scope as it is talking about effective treatment and not about new drug.

E) there is a nonprescription medication that when taken with the new drug prevents the onset of nausea
Oh so there is a medication available that can prevent nausea while using the new drug. Fantastic. So this solves the problem.
_________________
CAT 2017 (98.95) & 2018 (98.91) : 99th percentiler
UPSC Aspirants : Get my app UPSC Important News Reader from Play store.

MBA Social Network : WebMaggu


Appreciate by Clicking +1 Kudos ( Lets be more generous friends.)



What I believe is : "Nothing is Impossible, Even Impossible says I'm Possible" : "Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish".
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 24 Sep 2014
Posts: 51
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Re: A new drug, taken twice daily for one month, is an effective treatment  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2019, 00:11
Which of the following most logically completes the argument?

A new drug, taken twice daily for one month, is an effective treatment for a certain disease. The drug now most commonly prescribed for the disease occasionally has serious side effects such as seizures; in field tests, the new drug’s side effects, though no worse than mild nausea, turned out to be much more frequent. Nevertheless, the new drug is clearly preferable as a treatment, since _____.

A) people who experience nausea are prone to discontinue use of the new drug prematurely
B) It is possible that the drug now most commonly prescribed has side effects that have not yet been attributed to it
C) other drugs for the disease have typically been prescribed only for patients allergic to the most commonly prescribed drug
D) people who have received effective treatment for disease do not generally contract the disease again
E) there is a nonprescription medication that when taken with the new drug prevents the onset of nausea

The argument says new drug has serious side effects such as occasional seizures. It doesn't say nausea is the side effect of this new drug. In the argument, nausea was mentioned to only give us magnitude/significance of the side effects of this new drug. If this is the meaning we get from the argument, then how come correct answer could be E, which connects the new drug to the onset of nausea.
IMO, D is the correct answer. It is already mentioned clearly that the impact of side effects (such as occasional seizures) are no worse than the impact of mild nausea. If so, and after taking this drug (which is mentioned in the argument as the effective treatment), if the disease doesn't contract again, then it is a preferable treatment method. Because, the side effects of this new drug are mild and the disease doesn't come again.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 09 Sep 2018
Posts: 17
Re: A new drug, taken twice daily for one month, is an effective treatment  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2019, 05:52
How can OA be E,as it is not mentioned anywhere that nonprescription medicine cannot has other serious side effect.
My point is although it do not cause nausea but it may cause other side effect which is not taken for.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: A new drug, taken twice daily for one month, is an effective treatment   [#permalink] 26 May 2019, 05:52

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 22 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

A new drug, taken twice daily for one month, is an effective treatment

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





cron

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne